Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 06:11 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,329,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
That may be so, but in one of the videos that I posted is a guy that says the governor should resign, and that is fine. He then says that Rosello should never put a foot in that island, and that is wrong. Puerto Rico is the home of all Puerto Ricans, good and bad. A person can say that a Puerto Rican needs to resign as governor of the island, but it shouldn’t pass through anyone’s mind to prohibit another Puerto Rican from being in PR. If a Puerto Rican wants to be in PR for vacation, to attend some matters, or to live they have an inviolable right to be there for as long as they want. Not a single person is solely the owner of that island, the whole of the Puerto Rican people are the owners.
I will be curious is this the same governor that uses executive orders to push proposed legislation he supports that failed to pass the house/senate votes into law anyways?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 07:30 PM

529 posts, read 1,088,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Except at least 3 if not 4 out of 6 people arrested today were members of the Popular Democratic Party

You independenistas have been saying this for decades ... yet the more details about Puerto Rico become public the higher the support for statehood gets. You seem to forget that an entire political party literally doesn't care how much Puerto Rico 'costs'. "The Democrats will happily write the island blank checks until the end of time" - that's a quote from a senior Republican US senator on why the Senate Republicans caved to Democratic demands regarding the disaster relief bill a few months ago.

After decades of Rush Limbaugh, Mark Levin, Donald Trump, and every conservative talking head and politician in existence condemning Puerto Ricans as lazy bums living off hard working White Americans we have: 47% supporting statehood versus just 17% opposing. And the percentage opposing statehood has dropped dramatically over the past 20 years.
https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-amer...nted-statehood

Pobrecito!

WIHS You’ve gotta be kidding!

Do you really think Puerto Ricans will decide whether to become a state or not? Where have you been living?

***** It doesn’t matter if 500% Of Puerto Ricans vote for statehood, it all depends on if statehood coincides with congressional intereses. Today NO ONE DARES TACKLE THIS ISSUE.

I bet WIHS, OR ANYBODY ELSE HERE , has read about the INSULAR CASES. Starting in 1904 SCOTUS decided to give legal explanations to its newly acquired territories, mainly Guam, the Philippines and Puerto Rico. Hawaii was not included in these cases because the islands were INCORPORATED in 1900.

Before you keep on making a fool of yourself, read about the INSULAR CASES in relation to Puerto Rico, then you can discuss if Puerto Ricans will really decide statehood with a 100% vote.

Old 07-23-2019, 10:02 PM

126 posts, read 49,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aax View Post
These protests are a big party. An excuse for people to skip work and school.
Not true at all. The protests are massive. It is not the usual people that goes to protest but many other sectors have been going to the protests. This is something else. The people of PR are tired of the corruption and the castes that have been ruling in the past years/decades.

Old 07-24-2019, 10:25 PM
mym

706 posts, read 1,173,167 times

Old 07-25-2019, 02:18 AM

35,299 posts, read 17,191,932 times
Breaking news in NY Times feed:

Ricardo Rosselló, Puerto Rico’s Governor, Resigns After Protests

It seems that Trump was right about mishandling of aid moneys in the wake of Hurricane Maria. I carry no flag for Trump and wanted PR to reconstruct but it looks like much of the funds went down a rathole.

Old 07-25-2019, 11:14 AM

529 posts, read 1,088,992 times
Many folks on the island have been clamoring for an audit. Who took the money and where did it go? Rossellós PNP Party was totally against any kind of audit. They said only comunistas wanted an audit.

Old 07-25-2019, 12:22 PM

10,220 posts, read 15,091,104 times
Ricardo Rosselló needed to resign. He basically had no choice in the matter. I think he waited to long for that to happen, but I'm glad he is out of the picture.

Old 07-25-2019, 12:47 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,854,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clip314 View Post
Many folks on the island have been clamoring for an audit. Who took the money and where did it go? Rossellós PNP Party was totally against any kind of audit. They said only comunistas wanted an audit.
how far back does the audit go?
Quote:
"Puerto Rico has a long history of embarrassing scandals. Mr. Rossello’s father, Pedro J. Rosselló, who was governor from 1993 through 2000, saw some of his closest aides, including an executive assistant and the former secretary of education, convicted of kickback schemes. The stain on the two-time governor’s legacy added to his defeat when he tried to return to the governor’s seat in 2004.
He lost to Aníbal Acevedo Vilá, who was later indicted in connection with an elaborate scheme to pay back campaign debt. A judge dismissed many of the charges, and a jury acquitted him of the rest. In 2015, a federal indictment laid out a pattern of cronyism surrounding former Gov. Alejandro García Padilla, whose brother was accused of accepting gifts from a top Popular Party fund-raiser.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/18/u...fGfKTIvm1IEHzA

Old 07-25-2019, 01:31 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,125,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Ricardo Rosselló needed to resign. He basically had no choice in the matter. I think he waited to long for that to happen, but I'm glad he is out of the picture.
^ this

He should have announced his intention to resign last week. The problem now is finding a Secretary of State. Rivera Schatz doesn't want Attorney General Wanda Vasquez to serve the remainder of Rossello's term, and Rossello reportedly turned down Fortuno, Pierluisi and McClintock because none of them would agree to give him a pardon.

Old 07-25-2019, 05:44 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,671,679 times
...and round and round we go. Playing checkers while the aristocracy laughs in money. New boss old boss. And like a kid who bust his first nut; so quick and yet so superficial, left with more questions than answers. Folks already have referenced the instances of corruption allegations for every preceding administration dating back to Hernandez Colón, so I'm not going to go down the litany again.

In 1965, one governor by the name of Roberto Sánchez Vilella fell in love with her secretary. Many anecdotes abound how they would play hide and seek in La Fortaleza and Mr. Vilella would really go Clinton on the woman in the executive office. Big scandal in uber-conservative Catholic and impoverished Puerto Rico of the 60s. They even had a local Cardinal go in there and plead with the First Lady to divorce the guy. Do you think Sanchez Vilella would have lasted a week in 2019 at the hands of the chronically underemployed UPR student mob and the social justice warrior schtick? If you think so I got a timeshare in Aleppo to sell ya.

I don't say this as an endorsement of Roselló Jr, I'm merely highlighting the truism of beware what you wish for. In this particular instance, beware who you stand next to in a protest. Co-opted narratives abound. None empower the enfranchisement of those protesting, let alone the silent dispossessed majority. Though it is true the political process in a Citizens United world has absolutely disenfranchised the proletariat class most of us belong to, lashing at the puppet of the week and claiming the snake decapitated does more harm than good, as that is precisely the checkers move the Puerto Rican aristocracy expected the mob to go for. Congrats, you knocked down the straw man. Stand by for reversion to the mean.....like owned pawns.

I see the way the San Juan demonstrations went, and it reminds me of Libya. Actually, it also reminds me of the closing scene of the Disney movie Finding Nemo, and the timeless words from the blowfish after they all busted out the dentist's office in pet shop water bags.

So I'm starting a new movement: #NowWhat
LOL

The fact remains that you can't get anything done in PR politics without staffing the place with local crooks. All historical permutations of the local parties have been guilty of that graft since Luis Muñoz Marín learned the how to dance the ol' Washington Two-Step. Mainlanders need not get smug, it's not like we're bereft of EPIC systemic corruption up here in the CONUS. After all, we learned from the best, Operation Bootstrap anybody?

Again, I remind the peanut gallery it was a grafty gringa carpetbagger Secretary of Education appointee who became the epicenter for the entire unraveling on the FBI raid. So that doesn't really support the narrative that it's the local "coconut heads" who just can't help themselves. So Anglos and mainlanders can spare me on that front.

The commentary regarding Congress stonewalling the political enfranchisement of 3+ million US citizens of Puerto Rico is certainly on point. But it's a shameful hypocrisy from an Empire who has made a living for the past 50 years of peddling their version of Nation building under the banner of "democracy", while they hold their own colony hostage. The Middle East proxy wars between the House of Saud and Iran seem outright transparent by comparison.

Meanwhile, the island continues the gentrification. Yuppie anglos pop an Ibiza-styled intoxicant laden squat in the island's more desirable coastal real estate with that ghastly Act 20 and 22 tax thievery at 4%, but I can't return HOME without getting slapped with a 33% marginal income tax above every dollar above a measly 61,500. GMAFB. And these denizens want to get up in arms about some private speech bigotry between some puppet government officials? By all means, keep missing the tree for the forest. Like I said. #NowWhat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories