Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 06:13 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,143,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
And these denizens want to get up in arms about some private speech bigotry between some puppet government officials? By all means, keep missing the tree for the forest. Like I said. #NowWhat.

You can thank the Puerto Rican media for that. The island's media and the education systems are purposely designed to keep the average Puerto Rican in the dark so they don't rock the boat. The elites laugh and count their money as the people get all bent out of shape over something that every prominent person has on their phone. Puerto Ricans are purposely kept dumb and monolingual so it's easier to keep them out of the loop.

Now what? Puerto Rico is still a colony where 3 million Americans are denied their fundamental rights as Americans. Puerto Ricans still have the pack up their lives and move to a distant land to achieve economic stability. There are still houses without roofs. What changed by getting rid of Ricky? Nada. But the colonial elites are guaranteed to have added at least another decade of life to the colony, and that's all that counts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 07:05 PM

35,493 posts, read 17,398,026 times
Quote:
...and round and round we go. Playing checkers while the aristocracy laughs in money. New boss old boss. And like a kid who bust his first nut; so quick and yet so superficial, left with more questions than answers. Folks already have referenced the instances of corruption allegations for every preceding administration dating back to Hernandez Colón, so I'm not going to go down the litany again.
I agree with you that, in general, "“plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose" or "the more things change the more they stay the same. But I do have to lay it at the door of culture. In all of Spanish Latin-America and Brazil, only Costa Rica and Chile seem to buck this trend. And please don't blame the Yanquis; it is much more similar to Church sale of indulgences than anything else.

Old 07-25-2019, 07:40 PM

3,570 posts, read 4,429,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Breaking news in NY Times feed:
Ricardo Rosselló, Puerto Rico’s Governor, Resigns After Protests
It seems that Trump was right about mishandling of aid moneys in the wake of Hurricane Maria. I carry no flag for Trump and wanted PR to reconstruct but it looks like much of the funds went down a rathole.

Given that I no longer reside in PR, I am not challenging your assessment. I am not totally clear regarding what occurred in this latest Federal Funds debacle. However, with all due respect, I unchallengedly ask you to provide proof of your claims.

I was visiting family in PR the week six Government officials were publicly arrested; among them PR's Secretary of Education, Ms. Julia Keleher. My understanding was that Keleher, et al, failed to submit Request for Proposals - as required by law - to potential bidders. Instead, she and others circumvented the bidding process and merely asked their cronies for cash kickbacks in exchange for contract awards. If this is indeed the case, I hope, pray, wish, want, for all found guilty of this Federal Crime to be given the MAXIUM sentence as prescribed by US Federal law. There is no place for this anywhere in the United States, least of all in one of its Territories.

Old 07-25-2019, 07:42 PM

61,254 posts, read 87,693,295 times
We loaned them 72 billion that disappeared
So you want them as state #51?

Old 07-25-2019, 07:50 PM

35,493 posts, read 17,398,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
[/b]
Given that I no longer reside in PR, I am not challenging your assessment. I am not totally clear regarding what occurred in this latest Federal Funds debacle. However, with all due respect, I unchallengedly ask you to provide proof of your claims.
How much aid and charity money was spent? How much rebuilding was there? The burden of proof is on the handlers of the funds, not me.

Old 07-25-2019, 08:13 PM

3,570 posts, read 4,429,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
I don't! As a realist, I am not in favor of Puerto Rico being the 51st State. State aspirations demands more than a tourist destination at the large table of the USA. Other than tourism, what else does the land of my birth bring to the table?

Old 07-26-2019, 07:18 AM

10,235 posts, read 16,889,400 times
Quote:
who is we? what kind of moron lends someone $72 billion dollars without any expectation they'd be paid back by the party doing the borrowing? ? people make bad decisions all the time but those decisions took two parties to make (corrupt government officials and banks that thought they'd get bailed out).

Old 07-26-2019, 10:28 AM
aax

710 posts, read 504,580 times
He made sexist and homophobic tweet. Time for him to leave office. He's lucky he's not up on charges.

Old 07-26-2019, 10:30 AM
aax

710 posts, read 504,580 times
Quote:
And these denizens want to get up in arms about some private speech bigotry between some puppet government officials? #NowWhat.
Who denizens? Celebrities like the Ricky Martin? Please be clear.

Old 07-26-2019, 12:18 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,143,010 times
Quote:
There was no bailout. Instead Congress created an oversight board to restructure the debt via a court process.

And yes, I do want Puerto Rico as a state. Do you know why? Because it would tick off Trump and his supporters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aax View Post
Who denizens? Celebrities like the Ricky Martin? Please be clear.
Paragons of virtue like Bad Bunny and Residente/Rene Perez (Calle 13). You know, the ones who refer to women by vulgar terms in their songs yet now protest against a governor for using the same words
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories