Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 09:27 AM

529 posts, read 1,086,395 times

Advertisements

As of today, July 10th 2019, the FBI has amassed its forces and has gotten its handcuffs ready to arrest as many statehooder politicians as they can get their hands on.

No, statehooders are not the only corrupt ones, however if we look at the past, statehhoders have surpassed the PPD when it was in power.

Is corruption ingrained in the DNA of Puerto Rico’s political class, PNP, PDP?

That’s a scary thought. Are pro independence folks as corrupt?

That we don’t know because they have never been in power.

In the mean time Puerto Rico has presented several bills to be admitted as a state. If they hit the lotto, it will most likely be a Democratic state, with two senators, five reps ( more than 24 WHITE STATES! ) five or six electoral votes, enough to decide a close election in favor of Democrats. It will be the first state in which the majority doesn’t speak English and has a sense of NATIONHOOD, different from the majority anglos. It will have to receive tons of welfare because the majority population lives below the federal government poverty line. Once this becomes public knowledge American tax payers will blow their top.

This is not to depress the good hearted statehooders of the diaspora and the island, but these are facts you guys and Congress must take into consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 02:54 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
Except at least 3 if not 4 out of 6 people arrested today were members of the Popular Democratic Party

Quote:
It will have to receive tons of welfare because the majority population lives below the federal government poverty line. Once this becomes public knowledge American tax payers will blow their top.
You independenistas have been saying this for decades ... yet the more details about Puerto Rico become public the higher the support for statehood gets. You seem to forget that an entire political party literally doesn't care how much Puerto Rico 'costs'. "The Democrats will happily write the island blank checks until the end of time" - that's a quote from a senior Republican US senator on why the Senate Republicans caved to Democratic demands regarding the disaster relief bill a few months ago.

After decades of Rush Limbaugh, Mark Levin, Donald Trump, and every conservative talking head and politician in existence condemning Puerto Ricans as lazy bums living off hard working White Americans we have: 47% supporting statehood versus just 17% opposing. And the percentage opposing statehood has dropped dramatically over the past 20 years.
https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-amer...nted-statehood

Pobrecito!

Old 07-10-2019, 08:33 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,392,735 times
Tomorrow is my last day in PR. Am here visiting parents. The arrests have shocked many. Conversely, few are surprised by the dismissiveness of several PNP politicians. In addition, local news sources aired previous recordings of Whistleblowers whom did the right thing when witnessing a law breach, only to be fired for speaking out. This is an historic day here for all the wrong reasons.

Last edited by chacho_keva; 07-10-2019 at 09:14 PM..

Old 07-10-2019, 09:19 PM
mym

706 posts, read 1,170,318 times
my friends are marking themselves as 'safe from FBI arrests' in facebook

Old 07-18-2019, 01:39 PM

24,446 posts, read 25,978,821 times
This was attached to a post on FB that was sent to a friend in the Ponce area.

These last days have been difficult and full of lots of information that still lack to process.

I am affiliated to the progressive new party and statesman with great pride. Almost three years ago I walked and made politics in favor of Ricardo Rosselló, someone young and at that time for what he showed me, full of many great ideas. There was someone serious, eager to work and with great power. I trusted and went to all, even a month ago I said "visión2020".

A few days ago (4 days to be exact), a corruption bomb came out which sincerely expected me. I bothered, much. Still going with rosselló and #visión2020. It wasn't until the next day that the #telegram bomb came out... "***** says it", they say many. I bothered, much more.

While I was in my bed in the morning watching the 'news feed' of Facebook, I see the 889 pages of which they both spoke. I got up, sat on the computer and read one to one carefully. I slept at six in the morning. Every word I read my head wanted to explode. I started to feel a disappointment completely. Horrible.

Once finished reading the chat, I bathed, went to work (without sleeping anything) and just felt a horrible feeling inside me. See how they mocked the dead in forensics and hurricane Maria, it was the most that hit me. The drop that broke the cup. There I knew who really was Ricardo Rosselló. The Real Ricky. Ouch.

The courage and helplessness I felt in my inexplicable era. Today, two days later I still feel the same or still full of more courage, also the whole country. Just as I did campaign and I I it, so I demand it as most of the country, to give up! At least my part doesn't count on my support even. He doesn't deserve it

It's not called being treacherous and getting carried away by the stream, it's called having your eyes wide open and being realistic.

Progressive new brother and statesman you read me, if you want to be part of that, I respect it. Instead I don't. I don't want to be part of this barbarity. Now, who supports this kind of behavior for being "loyal" is just as guilty as Julia Keleher, Ricardo Rosselló and other gossips. With the same right that I supported it is the same right that today I say inept.

The truth begins by saying by the house. If you don't have your pants well put to do it, because I do. My dignity as Puerto Rican and statesman goes above anything.

Ricardo Rosselló, right now there are more important topics to attend on my island. Please, if you still have a little dignity, courage and pants... give up!.

Thank you!
PS. Hope to have clarified any doubt.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:28 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
This was attached to a post on FB that was sent to a friend in the Ponce area.

These last days have been difficult and full of lots of information that still lack to process.

I am affiliated to the progressive new party and statesman with great pride. Almost three years ago I walked and made politics in favor of Ricardo Rosselló, someone young and at that time for what he showed me, full of many great ideas. There was someone serious, eager to work and with great power. I trusted and went to all, even a month ago I said "visión2020".

A few days ago (4 days to be exact), a corruption bomb came out which sincerely expected me. I bothered, much. Still going with rosselló and #visión2020. It wasn't until the next day that the #telegram bomb came out... "***** says it", they say many. I bothered, much more.

While I was in my bed in the morning watching the 'news feed' of Facebook, I see the 889 pages of which they both spoke. I got up, sat on the computer and read one to one carefully. I slept at six in the morning. Every word I read my head wanted to explode. I started to feel a disappointment completely. Horrible.

Once finished reading the chat, I bathed, went to work (without sleeping anything) and just felt a horrible feeling inside me. See how they mocked the dead in forensics and hurricane Maria, it was the most that hit me. The drop that broke the cup. There I knew who really was Ricardo Rosselló. The Real Ricky. Ouch.

The courage and helplessness I felt in my inexplicable era. Today, two days later I still feel the same or still full of more courage, also the whole country. Just as I did campaign and I I it, so I demand it as most of the country, to give up! At least my part doesn't count on my support even. He doesn't deserve it

It's not called being treacherous and getting carried away by the stream, it's called having your eyes wide open and being realistic.

Progressive new brother and statesman you read me, if you want to be part of that, I respect it. Instead I don't. I don't want to be part of this barbarity. Now, who supports this kind of behavior for being "loyal" is just as guilty as Julia Keleher, Ricardo Rosselló and other gossips. With the same right that I supported it is the same right that today I say inept.

The truth begins by saying by the house. If you don't have your pants well put to do it, because I do. My dignity as Puerto Rican and statesman goes above anything.

Ricardo Rosselló, right now there are more important topics to attend on my island. Please, if you still have a little dignity, courage and pants... give up!.

Thank you!
PS. Hope to have clarified any doubt.
This pretty much sums up how I feel. I am disgusted, embarrassed, and ashamed to have supported this vulgar frat boy over the more experienced and mature Pedro Pierluisi. Like the person in the Facebook post I was willing to support Rossello in 2020 even after the Keleher case arrests up until the Telegram chat was released.

I believe Rossello needs to resign. These protests are hurting the tourist industry. There's talk of the teamster's union going on strike which would impact fuel and food deliveries around the island. The corruption arrests and the broader Telegram chat have hurt the image of Puerto Rico in Congress. There's literally no way Rossello can effectively govern at this point. The New Progressive Party needs to sit down, find a consensus nominee for Secretary of State (I personally suggest Bayamon Mayor Ramon Luis Rivera Jr) who can take over from Rossello when he resigns, steer the government back on track, and win the 2020 election.

Old 07-19-2019, 06:50 AM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Rosello should definitely resign, but I think some Puerto Ricans are going about this in the wrong direction. Is it really necessary to have protests filling the streets of Old San Juan to the point that cruises are choosing to stop at the Virgin Islands instead of San Juan? Do some people really needed to spray paint graffiti and gibberish even on important attractions of Old San Juan? Rosello will be out of power whether he resigns or runs of the rest of his term (don’t see how he can pull that off), but hurting PR’s tourism industry at a time the island is still recuperating from Hurricane Maria doesn’t seem to be very smart. It’s easier to destroy than to build. What takes years to build up can come crashing down in a few days if the people aren’t careful about this. He may be a very important guy in PR, but he is just one man out of millions.

Last edited by AntonioR; 07-19-2019 at 07:04 AM..

Old 07-19-2019, 07:56 AM
aax

710 posts, read 497,294 times
Corrupt island is corrupt.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:44 AM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
That may be so, but in one of the videos that I posted is a guy that says the governor should resign, and that is fine. He then says that Rosello should never put a foot in that island, and that is wrong. Puerto Rico is the home of all Puerto Ricans, good and bad. A person can say that a Puerto Rican needs to resign as governor of the island, but it shouldn’t pass through anyone’s mind to prohibit another Puerto Rican from being in PR. If a Puerto Rican wants to be in PR for vacation, to attend some matters, or to live they have an inviolable right to be there for as long as they want. Not a single person is solely the owner of that island, the whole of the Puerto Rican people are the owners.

Old 07-19-2019, 11:59 AM
aax

710 posts, read 497,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
but in one of the videos that I posted is a guy that says the governor should resign, and that is fine. He then says that Rosello should never put a foot in that island, and that is wrong. Puerto Rico is the home of all Puerto Ricans, good and bad.
Is that island policy now? Or just the opinion of one moron in a video?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories