Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2019, 04:01 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,051,186 times

Advertisements

I´ve seen various posts on social media from Puerto Rico where the ocean seems to be swallowing up beaches. What´s going on? It doesn´t seem to be limited to one spot or another, either...I saw pictures from Ocean Park, Dorado, Rincón, Aguada...it was always the same story...some buildings are now literally on the water.

I do remember later in the year being high surf season, like a lot of seasonal surfers would come down around November-December-January.

Anyone know what´s happening at the moment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 04:31 PM
mym

706 posts, read 1,175,318 times
sand shifts. some beaches shrink, others grow. don't buy beachfront property.

due to the storm, Jerry, the swells in Rincon are large. the water is reaching the Tambu

Old 09-22-2019, 02:09 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,357,500 times
Whether or not the waters of the Earth ARE actually 'rising' (due to climate-change) there is literally NOTHING at all, we humans can actually....'do' about it.

Perhaps the only thing at this point (going forward) is for no further-rebuilding or new-construction of any kind, on coastal areas, worldwide.

Looks as if we're all in for a helluva 'ride', from now-on, till Mother-Earth or 'whoever' ('whatever' ? ?) originally put everything in motion, finds a way to put everything into balance again.

One thing for certain, if I were the CEO of a property/life insurance-company, I'd be looking at getting OUT of that business right about now...I cannot see any way in which any of those company's could possibly KEEP UP with all the incoming-claims, which are sure to be rolling-in.

Head to the high-ground, I guess ? ? But then with the increase of tectonic-activity worldwide, I can't see that the mountains/high-deserts will serve as much of a sanctuary either.

Old 09-23-2019, 08:00 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,877,925 times
I recently read that building too close to the beach causes erosion since the ocean has a natural rhythm where the waves deposit sand, if that's interrupted, that doesn't occur. in many beach towns around the world things like jetties also disrupt distribution of sand preventing beaches from being replenished.

Quote:
Mitigation efforts, which will take some time, could include reconstructing dunes, planting vegetation and re-injecting sand to replenish the beach. Barreto and her team are wary of constructing barriers because they said it could have a further negative impact on the ecosystem.
https://www.theweeklyjournal.com/lif...00041e29a.html

Quote:
CRES "is returning the beach to its natural state. This is what a beach used to be … then it was flattened and that's how we got Ocean Park," she said. "Sand will keep moving. It's going to be constant."
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/weat...913-story.html

Quote:
Many in the scientific and planning communities are calling for a moratorium on shoreline construction. Responding to these voices and the problems encountered in the aftermath of hurricanes Irma and Maria, Sen. Juan Dalmau (PIP-at large) introduced Senate Bill 1122 to establish a 20-year moratorium on shoreline construction....Planner and environmental scientist Luis Jorge Rivera Herrera explained that “[climate change] is a determinant factor, but what has worsened or deepened the situation is that throughout the various government administrations, they have allowed construction close to the [island’s] littoral, or nearshore, knowing that the littoral and the coasts have dynamic extensions.”

Rivera Herrera, who won the Goldman Environmental prize, explained that waves need room to dissipate their energy, but when a wave hits a hard surface, such as a concrete wall, it returns to the sea with a lot of strength, which in turn does not allow the sand to settle on the sea floor. This causes the loss of beach or erosion.
https://caribbeanbusiness.com/the-high-cost-of-erosion/

Last edited by pman; 09-23-2019 at 08:15 AM..

Old 09-23-2019, 06:35 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,051,186 times
Very insightful...much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories