Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2019, 10:58 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,875,097 times

Advertisements

Been there many times, never thought of posting to a forum before. Some of these
are a bit facetious, and some are truly mysterious, but none are meant to cause offense.

Before I start - I fully understand it's the Island Life - it's culture - no tourist should expect culture to adapt to them. This is not about that. I have never expected anyone in any country to Do It My Way.

But questions remain:

In businesses with metal detectors (yes, I work in them) - I walk through, my laptop case goes around, usually slid down a table...where I pick it up and walk in. It could be full of hand grenades and ammunition. I have never - ever - had anyone look in my bag. Ever. What is the point of this exercise?

In other businesses, my trunk and laptop case are searched when I LEAVE the building...but not at lunch. Leaving at lunch, my trunk could be full of gold bars. Or dead bodies. And in any case, no inventory was taken on the way IN, so what are we looking for on the way OUT?

Traffic: How will a deaf person know when they're being pulled over, for speeding, for instance?

Related: Why are some street lights red? As in - maybe it's helping my night vision, but it is certainly not helping me see animals, people, or slow unlit vehicles. Dim red light is as dim as any other dim light.

Airports: This is where culture clash happens - the airline clock ain't stopping for nobody. Not really a question here...except, maybe, wondering how more flights aren't missed. From the traffic to the luggage check-in to the security line to the boarding process - no hurry whatsoever.

Airport follow-up: I don't understand the "fruit checker" (that's what I call it...you know what it is...). I set my carry on and baggage on it...it goes thru, I get a sticker...then carry my stuff all over God's creation before checking it in. I could put bushels of fruit in there before checking it in. What is the point of this?

I have so many more questions...seriously, after 20 years of traveling there for work, it never occurred to me until now to post these questions here!

Thanks in advance for your entertaining responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories