Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2019, 11:50 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,857,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by korymanx View Post
Just pre-approved for a house. Moving soon.
I hope you check back to share your experiences.
I don't think there is any impact on your us sources income. If there were the us would shut it down immediately.

I like the southwest where the pineapples grow but easy access to an airport would probably ruin what's great about it. Where did you end up moving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2019, 06:24 PM

20,213 posts, read 9,121,446 times
first thing I noticed in San Juan is every ground floor window had bars on them.

Old 12-22-2019, 12:13 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,857,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
first thing I noticed in San Juan is every ground floor window had bars on them.
It's like that all over the island. Among other things it let's you leave all your windows and doors open. Not to say there isnt crime but you will see them in neighborhoods you wouldnt in the mainland

Last edited by pman; 12-22-2019 at 12:24 PM..

Old 12-22-2019, 06:49 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,530,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by korymanx View Post
Just pre-approved for a house. Moving soon.

Which town did you choose to live?

Old 01-07-2020, 09:07 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,275,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
It's like that all over the island. Among other things it let's you leave all your windows and doors open. Not to say there isnt crime but you will see them in neighborhoods you wouldnt in the mainland
I've always liked that - i.e. bars on the windows and doors. It's a very secure feeling while leaving everything completely wide open.

Old 01-07-2020, 10:08 AM

10,234 posts, read 15,104,036 times
The bar thing is a Spanish custom, though in many places it conveniently serves for security too. Not only were bars described of many concrete buildings in descriptions from the past in many safe cities in Spanish America, but you still see it widespread in Spain too, particularly in Southern Spain. Unlike in the USA where bars on windows and doors are only found in very rough neighborhoods, anywhere where there is a preponderance of Spanish culture or influence bars are not indicative of the safety level of any particular place. If anything, other than a cultural expression, its also a socio-level marker since more elaborate bars signifies higher social ranking in many places. People from Anglo societies, especially in the Americas, tend to have a misunderstanding about this when they visit a country that has a tremendous influence from Spaniards, mostly because they think it means the same thing everywhere they go.

Random shots of various places in Spain in Google Street View. Notice the windows at ground level. Verjas (a cement wall surrounding the property, and a cement and bars fence on the front; the fancier it looks, usually the higher the socioeconomic standing of the family that lives there) and barras are everywhere. In fact, a cement house without those things is often seen as "naked" and in severe need of them to be complete, yet not having them is a value among Anglo based culture (which is the cultural base of most of the USA).

Last edited by AntonioR; 01-07-2020 at 10:24 AM..

Old 01-07-2020, 10:41 AM

50,439 posts, read 64,242,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've always liked that - i.e. bars on the windows and doors. It's a very secure feeling while leaving everything completely wide open.
How do you get out in case of a fire? I wouldn’t feel safe, I’d feel imprisoned.

Old 01-09-2020, 03:33 PM

386 posts, read 170,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
The bar thing is a Spanish custom, though in many places it conveniently serves for security too. Not only were bars described of many concrete buildings in descriptions from the past in many safe cities in Spanish America, but you still see it widespread in Spain too, particularly in Southern Spain. Unlike in the USA where bars on windows and doors are only found in very rough neighborhoods, anywhere where there is a preponderance of Spanish culture or influence bars are not indicative of the safety level of any particular place. If anything, other than a cultural expression, its also a socio-level marker since more elaborate bars signifies higher social ranking in many places. People from Anglo societies, especially in the Americas, tend to have a misunderstanding about this when they visit a country that has a tremendous influence from Spaniards, mostly because they think it means the same thing everywhere they go.

Random shots of various places in Spain in Google Street View. Notice the windows at ground level. Verjas (a cement wall surrounding the property, and a cement and bars fence on the front; the fancier it looks, usually the higher the socioeconomic standing of the family that lives there) and barras are everywhere. In fact, a cement house without those things is often seen as "naked" and in severe need of them to be complete, yet not having them is a value among Anglo based culture (which is the cultural base of most of the USA).

Are these pictures of Spain or Puerto Rico? Everything is so clean and neat.

Old 01-09-2020, 03:42 PM

10,234 posts, read 15,104,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovorlando View Post
Are these pictures of Spain or Puerto Rico? Everything is so clean and neat.
Spain... Such a safe country and yet, bars everywhere. If we go by the notion in places like the USA, Canada, UK, etc that bars on windows is synonymous with crime, then those places should have a high crime rate... except they don’t.

Old 01-09-2020, 04:46 PM

386 posts, read 170,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Spain... Such a safe country and yet, bars everywhere. If we go by the notion in places like the USA, Canada, UK, etc that bars on windows is synonymous with crime, then those places should have a high crime rate... except they don’t.
You're right. I think the bars on windows there look attractive and I love the red tile roofs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories