Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 04:01 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,348,267 times

Advertisements

I understand the rationale for having an English language policy. At a minimum it can be uncomfortable for people to not understand what others are saying, and more substantively it can lead to disorganization due to miscommunications and social divisions. Now I don't think it is reasonable to have a militant, zero tolerance English only policy. The article doesn't give much detail on the policy or the context in which workers are speaking Spanish to each other. But, as a general matter I'm fine with corporate policies to require work activities be conducted in a common language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2019, 05:20 PM

1,555 posts, read 3,055,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
If I moved to another country, task number 1 for me would be to become fluent in the language of that country and out of respect, I would speak that language.
I agree, and I abide by this wholeheartedly. But there are millions (yes, millions) of Americans/Brits/Aussies etc. abroad who don´t practice this, I mean it makes you go how blatant it is. I just bet that a lot of the people screaming "SPEAK ENGLISH!!!" probably wouldn´t bother to learn any other language. I just can´t understand why Americans think they can travel the world and just be spoken to in English everywhere they go, but it´s a dangerous tradition they´ve set up and it makes a pretty ugly stereotype for the rest of us. I deal with people here who just look at me and before I open my mouth, they´re convinced I can´t speak Spanish, so they "choose" to not understand me. How do I know it´s not me? It´s never, ever happpened to me on the phone, even when talking about super complicated topics. It´s only with visual contact do people get flustered or jump to conclusions about what I can and can´t do.

I know I´m probably not making 1:1 comparisons and I don´t want to stand by false equivalency, but I use Spanish seamlessly in my workplace when needed; I´d be pretty pissed though if my supervisor threatened my job while I´m talking to other native English speakers in the staff room during a private conversation that doesn´t pertain to work...is that a fair enough comparison to what happened? I´d be LIVID.

Old 12-04-2019, 09:35 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,944,185 times
I worked for a federal government program a couple years ago. We had a training session in Boston for the Northeaast region. Evidently, in true government-silliness fashion, PR is considered part of the Northeast region when it comes to some federal programs. So 6 or 7 people from PR were flown to Boston and put up in hotels for the 3 days. What made it absolutely hilarious is that all but one of them spoke NO ENGLISH!! lol......One of their team understood a bit of English and tried to translate to her team as best she could. But it was just ridiculous.

Old 12-05-2019, 05:42 AM

14,532 posts, read 11,354,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
I agree, and I abide by this wholeheartedly. But there are millions (yes, millions) of Americans/Brits/Aussies etc. abroad who don´t practice this, I mean it makes you go how blatant it is. I just bet that a lot of the people screaming "SPEAK ENGLISH!!!" probably wouldn´t bother to learn any other language. I just can´t understand why Americans think they can travel the world and just be spoken to in English everywhere they go, but it´s a dangerous tradition they´ve set up and it makes a pretty ugly stereotype for the rest of us. I deal with people here who just look at me and before I open my mouth, they´re convinced I can´t speak Spanish, so they "choose" to not understand me. How do I know it´s not me? It´s never, ever happpened to me on the phone, even when talking about super complicated topics. It´s only with visual contact do people get flustered or jump to conclusions about what I can and can´t do.
It's been my experience that people understand that you are not going to learn a half dozen languages while touring half dozen European nations. All they care about is that you are there spending money, supporting their businesses, and engaging in that dopey American habit of tipping profusely.

Old 12-05-2019, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
It's been my experience that people understand that you are not going to learn a half dozen languages while touring half dozen European nations. All they care about is that you are there spending money, supporting their businesses, and engaging in that dopey American habit of tipping profusely.
That works well in Europe, but not in Latin America.

Old 12-05-2019, 05:46 AM

14,532 posts, read 11,354,347 times
Quote:
That works well in Europe, but not in Latin America.
How do you mean?

Old 12-05-2019, 06:11 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,123,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
The majority of Spanish Florida are Puerto Ricans, which are AMERICANS.
I don't think "Majority" is accurate. The link below, estimated that in 2011, 29% of Florida Hispanics were Cubans --- only 20% were Puerto Ricans --- 15% were Mexicans.

Although I would imagine that the Puerto Rican share has increased greatly, due to refugees from the hurricane a couple of years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispan...nos_in_Florida

Old 12-05-2019, 06:11 AM

Europeans are multilingual, and at least in most major cities and tourist zones. Speak to the average Dutch/Swedish/Danish/German person and their English level will blow you away. I get it, if you´re going to various countries you´re not going to learn like 6 languages for the trip.

Walk into a store in a middle class barrio in Pereira, Colombia and try to get what you want knowing no Spanish. There is seriously a good chance no one will be able to help you, unless you already see what you want. My parents don´t understand this when they come visit me either, my mom just speaks loud English to people and they seriously freak out.

I get it, it´s not "fair" that the US has to provide all these services and translations to migrants from less developed countries and even our own territories. Well, it´s part of the burden we uphold by being the bigger partner, being a more developed country that is an attractive option for the developing world. I guess my level of patience for people to adapt corresponds directly to one´s level of education and social standing. That chicken plant worker maybe doesn´t not have the time, resources or literacy in their first language to easily learn...the professional does, and there´s really no excuse for the latter to not learn.

Last edited by aab7855; 12-05-2019 at 06:21 AM..

Old 12-05-2019, 11:17 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,944,185 times
Quote:
Europeans are multilingual, and at least in most major cities and tourist zones. Speak to the average Dutch/Swedish/Danish/German person and their English level will blow you away. I get it, if you´re going to various countries you´re not going to learn like 6 languages for the trip.

Walk into a store in a middle class barrio in Pereira, Colombia and try to get what you want knowing no Spanish. There is seriously a good chance no one will be able to help you, unless you already see what you want. My parents don´t understand this when they come visit me either, my mom just speaks loud English to people and they seriously freak out.

I get it, it´s not "fair" that the US has to provide all these services and translations to migrants from less developed countries and even our own territories. Well, it´s part of the burden we uphold by being the bigger partner, being a more developed country that is an attractive option for the developing world. I guess my level of patience for people to adapt corresponds directly to one´s level of education and social standing. That chicken plant worker maybe doesn´t not have the time, resources or literacy in their first language to easily learn...the professional does, and there´s really no excuse for the latter to not learn.
I see. So the da*ned Columbians hit the lucky trifecta: They don't have to speak English to us when we are there. They get to come to American and live here (we let them). AND they get to have services and daily life in Spanish once they are here!

The da*ned Columbians can kiss my you-know-what. They can go screw.

Old 12-05-2019, 01:36 PM

I think the original article lacks context, doesn´t it?

THIS is not okay though, seriously:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2VdsrGigSI

I see situations like this a lot, that is to say, crews in a fast food place communicating with customers in English no problem and just using Spanish with fellow crew members. You have to be a real a-hole to get angry about that.

Or how about this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1AZd0iN4l0

Once again, not okay.

What happened in the original article in Florida could have been very different, I don´t know.

I also want to clarify...no one in Colombia would do something like this. They might not understand you, but they´d still try to help. They might stare at you like you´re a martian, but there´d be no verbal attacks.

Last edited by aab7855; 12-05-2019 at 01:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories