Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2019, 08:34 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,850,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
President Donald Trump signed Friday night the budget bill that includes the $5,742 billion in Medicaid funds for Puerto Rico over the next two fiscal years..Although the funds initially negotiated in Congress were cut by half, the allocation for fiscal years 2020 and 2021 will represent, on average, the highest annual Medicaid funding for the island.

The measure increases the Federal Medicaid Assistance Percentage (FMAP) from 55 to 76 percent and directly allocates $ 2,623 billion during federal fiscal year 2020 -which began in October- and $ 2,719 billion for 2021...
https://www.elnuevodia.com/english/e...nding-2536606/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2019, 06:41 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,123,583 times
I keep finding it ironic that if you overlook his nasty tweets Trump has actually given more funds to the island than any president since LBJ. Obama basically ignored Puerto Rico. W Bush was too consumed by Iraq and Afghanistan to care about anything else. Clinton was reasonably good as was HW Bush directing Federal agencies to treat Puerto Rico as if it were a state in terms of funding and access to programs.

For what it's worth, Trump has always been careful to direct his ire towards Puerto Rican politicians rather than Puerto Ricans as a group ... I think alot of Democrats are going to be surprised by how many Florida Puerto Ricans vote for Trump next year. Even in Puerto Rico itself his approval rating isn't that much lower than the national average. I know many Democrats were stunned by how well Rick Scott and Ron DeSantis did with Puerto Rican voters in the midterms.

I don't like Trump and I certainly won't be voting for him next year but I will say that he hasn't been as bad for Puerto Rico as I feared. That said, I think Florida's large Puerto Rican population is the saving grace.

Last edited by WIHS2006; 12-23-2019 at 06:54 PM..

Old 12-24-2019, 07:50 AM

it's a complicated world. this is good for the island BUT it would have been better if Trump had allowed the bipartisan funding agreement go into law as is. Scott, on the other hand, is a whole different animal. he has gone out of his way to try to be amenable to the needs of both migrants to Florida and the island and deservedly got more support for it (that's the way it is supposed to work).

Old 12-25-2019, 06:25 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,123,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
it's a complicated world. this is good for the island BUT it would have been better if Trump had allowed the bipartisan funding agreement go into law as is. Scott, on the other hand, is a whole different animal. he has gone out of his way to try to be amenable to the needs of both migrants to Florida and the island and deservedly got more support for it (that's the way it is supposed to work).
Oh no doubt the bipartisan Senate deal would have been better but my sources in TrumpWorld have explained to me that Trump is stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to Puerto Rico. Much of his hardcore base falls into the "cut those brown moochers loose!!!!!!" camp but most of his advisers and officials like the Florida Republicans (aka Rubio and Scott), the party elites, his campaign manager Brad Parscale, etc recognize that you can't win Florida without winning at least 35-40% of the Puerto Rican vote and that in order to win those votes your going to have to throw alot of money at the island, make vague statements about supporting statehood, etc. It's a tightrope and the 76% matching rate for 2 years along with the "this is a win for the American taxpayers" statement was the best middle ground compromise they could come up with.

If you've followed Trump's tweets and statements regarding Puerto Rico since he took office there's been a definite softening of his tone over the past 3 years ... there's a VERY long way to go but there's some positive signs.

Old 12-25-2019, 07:13 PM

Interesting perspective. From an island POV, the less it is in the news the better it is for dealing with trump. Otoh the hurricane coverage seems to have helped put the island back on the tourism map
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories