U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-08-2020, 08:26 PM
mym
 
632 posts, read 911,450 times
Reputation: 742

Advertisements

shacks are made of wood. they survive earthquakes, not hurricanes.
houses are made of cement blocks. they survive hurricanes, not earthquakes.
on the island live puertoricans. they have survived both.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-08-2020, 10:37 PM
 
Location: NJ+NC (Prev. Boston, NYC, Upstate NY & FL)
4,427 posts, read 1,555,449 times
Reputation: 3669
From Boston - I'm sending my thoughts and prayers to this island. I respect your courage and perseverance during this horrible time, especially in such a non-timely manner close to the destruction of Maria. Of those still on the island, I wish you a full recovery to your communities, homes and towns/cities. No one can predict earthquakes and this is truly a natural disaster warrants the largest of my empathy.

If any of you chose to relieve the stress by temporarily/permanently relocating, I want to let you know that the Boston community welcomes you all in full arms. We have a large and fast-growing Puerto Rican population (~300,000) and there are many support centers for the time being. I know the communities of Orlando and Miami have taken action to this situation already as well.

I wish you all luck in this tough time and remember if anyone you need to talk about anything from this crisis, I am available for direct messaging support that you might need! I hope all your loved ones are safe.

-Massachoicetts
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2020, 08:51 AM
 
Location: Philly
10,067 posts, read 14,899,433 times
Reputation: 2804
Quote:
Originally Posted by mym View Post
shacks are made of wood. they survive earthquakes, not hurricanes.
houses are made of cement blocks. they survive hurricanes, not earthquakes.
on the island live puertoricans. they have survived both.
concrete buildings can absolutely survive earthquakes if built for them. the difference between the catastrophic 7.0 earthquake in Haiti where an estimated 100 to 160k people died and the not so catastrophic 8.8 earthquake in chile where 525 people died is building codes. specifically, complete disregard for them in Haiti and enforcement in chile.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2020, 09:40 AM
aax
 
712 posts, read 310,122 times
Reputation: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
525 people died is building codes. specifically, complete disregard for them in Haiti and enforcement in chile.
Same in Puerto Rico. You just grab a bunch of guys to build your house there. No following rules, and no enforcement.

Remember miu who use to live in PR (and post here)? She said most people don't have deeds on their house there, and most don't have insurances...!!!!!

You cannot have an island that is part of the US function that way. That is why they get so much damage down there....!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2020, 04:03 PM
Status: "177th Anniversary of Freedom!" (set 5 days ago)
 
6,726 posts, read 9,455,908 times
Reputation: 5187
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
concrete buildings can absolutely survive earthquakes if built for them. the difference between the catastrophic 7.0 earthquake in Haiti where an estimated 100 to 160k people died and the not so catastrophic 8.8 earthquake in chile where 525 people died is building codes. specifically, complete disregard for them in Haiti and enforcement in chile.
Definitely see your case and agree with you, but Chile is an extremely case. Look at this video taken in Chile while a powerful earthquake was taking place. The people were so calm that I doubt Chileans are humans. lol

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2020, 07:23 PM
 
Location: Philly
10,067 posts, read 14,899,433 times
Reputation: 2804
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Definitely see your case and agree with you, but Chile is an extremely case. Look at this video taken in Chile while a powerful earthquake was taking place. The people were so calm that I doubt Chileans are humans. lol

Haha, they do get a lot of them. The engineers really do know they're doing and you rest a lot easier if you trust your house.
I do stand corrected, Haiti didnt even have building codes to ignore. Puerto rico apparently has very good codes but not just way to enforce them, but a very difficult process to even get then certified even if you follow them
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2020, 09:26 PM
mym
 
632 posts, read 911,450 times
Reputation: 742
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/pue...le-from-space/

Puerto Rico Quake Damage Visible From Space
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2020, 09:29 PM
mym
 
632 posts, read 911,450 times
Reputation: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
When I lived in PR, never once did I experience a tremor, let alone an earthquake.
in the early 80s there was one 'big' one a year. by big i mean we felt it - chairs shook, sofas went back and forth, small cracks. 3 & 4s. those arent really big at all.

in the late eighties, there were none. in the late 90s tampoco.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2020, 11:05 AM
mym
 
632 posts, read 911,450 times
Reputation: 742

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dn3iEw2a6s

geologist from UPRM, consultant to BVI on disaster preparedness, talks about the earthquakes in SW PR
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2020, 04:14 PM
 
1,700 posts, read 854,303 times
Reputation: 1981
Exclamation sasie123

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
From Boston - I'm sending my thoughts and prayers to this island. I respect your courage and perseverance during this horrible time, especially in such a non-timely manner close to the destruction of Maria. Of those still on the island, I wish you a full recovery to your communities, homes and towns/cities. No one can predict earthquakes and this is truly a natural disaster warrants the largest of my empathy.

If any of you chose to relieve the stress by temporarily/permanently relocating, I want to let you know that the Boston community welcomes you all in full arms. We have a large and fast-growing Puerto Rican population (~300,000) and there are many support centers for the time being. I know the communities of Orlando and Miami have taken action to this situation already as well.

I wish you all luck in this tough time and remember if anyone you need to talk about anything from this crisis, I am available for direct messaging support that you might need! I hope all your loved ones are safe.

-Massachoicetts

May GOD be always with you and your family......thank you so very much!!!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top