U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 04:57 PM

6,193 posts, read 9,277,681 times

Advertisements

I was wondering, is anyone having trouble with Amazon's shipping this week in Puerto Rico? I have two items being shipped to my grandparents in Aguadilla and Amazon still hasn't handed off the packages to the USPS. The last tracking update for both was that they left the Amazon facility in Miami. One is a Moen magnetic handheld showerhead for my grandfather and the other is a bed rail for my grandmother. I am not sure if this is due to the earthquake, since neither Aguadilla nor San Juan/Catano (the cities where the two USPS sorting facilities are located) are in the direct area that were affected by the earthquake. Even with the power outage I would expect postal facilities to have generators.

USPS hasn't scanned either package yet, and considering Amazon lists the delivery date for both tomorrow I hope I get a surprise tonight or tomorrow morning. One has been not been scanned since Wednesday and the other since Thursday, and it seems like an awfully long time that there would be no scans ever since those days. I have shipped many Amazon packages to my grandparents in Puerto Rico and it normally doesn't take Amazon this long to hand the package to the USPS despite the listed delivery date. Even ParcelPool/International Bridge normally doesn't take this long to hand off the package to the USPS.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2020, 05:05 PM

36,629 posts, read 47,333,065 times
Umm, Puerto Rico has had a series of earthquakes the last several days. I'm guessing that those might have an impact on Amazon deliveries and Post Office operations.

Old 01-12-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Umm, Puerto Rico has had a series of earthquakes the last several days. I'm guessing that those might have an impact on Amazon deliveries and Post Office operations.
How would it affect the areas outside the directly affected area? Perhaps Amazon might have temporarily suspended their linehaul operations that perform the drop-offs at local post offices. My grandparents are in Aguadilla. If that is the case, why hasn't there been any public announcement about it? Many Amazon users are going to complain about late deliveries.

Old 01-13-2020, 12:51 PM

5,656 posts, read 7,709,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
How would it affect the areas outside the directly affected area? Perhaps Amazon might have temporarily suspended their linehaul operations that perform the drop-offs at local post offices. My grandparents are in Aguadilla. If that is the case, why hasn't there been any public announcement about it? Many Amazon users are going to complain about late deliveries.
I think most people have worse things to deal with than a late amazon delivery. If this is your biggest concern right now you really should think about the people on the island and what they are going through before you complain about something so trivial.

Old 01-13-2020, 03:08 PM

10,067 posts, read 14,917,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I think most people have worse things to deal with than a late amazon delivery. If this is your biggest concern right now you really should think about the people on the island and what they are going through before you complain about something so trivial.
depends on what is being delivered doesn't it? keeping shipping open is important, particularly if people are sending solar lights, food, etc back home to abuela let alone medications and other things.

fwiw, ups was more effective and the first one back up and running after Maria.

Old 01-13-2020, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
depends on what is being delivered doesn't it? keeping shipping open is important, particularly if people are sending solar lights, food, etc back home to abuela let alone medications and other things.

fwiw, ups was more effective and the first one back up and running after Maria.
How does USPS even know exactly what is in each package? Also, these two Amazon packages are presorted by Amazon and dropped off either at the regional sort facilities or the local post offices. Remember that unless someone coughs up for Priority Mail Express, they do not have a higher priority over Amazon if they are shipped at a later date.

Old 01-13-2020, 05:13 PM

36,629 posts, read 47,333,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
How does USPS even know exactly what is in each package? Also, these two Amazon packages are presorted by Amazon and dropped off either at the regional sort facilities or the local post offices. Remember that unless someone coughs up for Priority Mail Express, they do not have a higher priority over Amazon if they are shipped at a later date.
After a natural disaster shipping, both air and water in Puerto Rico's case, is prioritized to relief supplies (water, food, medicine, construction materials, etc.). That includes diverting/postponing shipments to non-impact areas because all remaining facilities are used to receive the relief supplies.

Old 01-13-2020, 06:47 PM

Well, as of this evening, I FINALLY got scans on my packages by the USPS. USPS currently estimates a Wednesday delivery for both. Hopefully this is accurate.

Old 01-13-2020, 11:04 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,004,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

Old 01-14-2020, 07:53 AM

Well, it looks like these packages are out for delivery as of today. Hopefully they get delivered. My grandfather needs new showerheads and one of my grandmothers needs to get out of bed easily.

Note that I have another showerhead that I ordered from Lowe's for my grandfather's other bathroom, but that one isn't estimated to arrive until the 29th (it was shipped FedEx SmartPost).

EDIT: Okay, it looks like the bed rail was delivered but the showerhead was not. Hopefully it gets delivered tomorrow. Apparently there wasn't enough room in the mail lady's vehicle for both packages. My grandparents live along a Highway Contract mail route, and they don't use the LLVs.

Last edited by Pink Jazz; 01-14-2020 at 09:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories