U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Puerto Rico become a state or an independent nation?
State 53 41.73%
Independent nation 64 50.39%
Other (please specify in your post) 10 7.87%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 01:16 PM

1,412 posts, read 2,346,587 times

Advertisements

I think it´s best to listen, listen, listen about the issue before speaking much. I know who on here in Puerto Rican and who is not. Their input is of very high value on such a sensitive issue.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2020, 08:24 AM

3,836 posts, read 5,717,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
How do you think we came to get Texas? You think the Tejanos had any say in whether they wanted to be part of the US?
That is exactly what happened after the signing of the Treaty of Guadalupe-Hildalgo:

"The treaty extended the choice of U.S. citizenship to Mexicans in the newly purchased territories, before many African Americans, Asians and Native Americans were eligible. If they chose to, they had to declare to the U.S. government within a year the Treaty was signed; otherwise, they could remain Mexican citizens, but they would have to relocate."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty...dalupe_Hidalgo

They had a simple binary choice and if they choose poorly that is on them and their descendants. Thankfully Texas avoided being under the despot Santa Anna.

Old 06-03-2020, 11:49 AM

7,801 posts, read 9,076,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
That is exactly what happened after the signing of the Treaty of Guadalupe-Hildalgo:

"The treaty extended the choice of U.S. citizenship to Mexicans in the newly purchased territories, before many African Americans, Asians and Native Americans were eligible. If they chose to, they had to declare to the U.S. government within a year the Treaty was signed; otherwise, they could remain Mexican citizens, but they would have to relocate."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty...dalupe_Hidalgo

They had a simple binary choice and if they choose poorly that is on them and their descendants. Thankfully Texas avoided being under the despot Santa Anna.
So basically you follow the "F you I got mine" school of thought?

Old 06-03-2020, 11:55 PM

3,836 posts, read 5,717,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
So basically you follow the "F you I got mine" school of thought?

No, just that an option was offered at a specific time and place to a specific group of people. There is no injustice to speak of and what you claimed in post #90 is not factual.

Also take note that I was being impartial by not stating what "choose poorly" meant....For all you know that could of meant deciding to stay in the U.S., as people will have different opinions on this subject.

Old 06-04-2020, 07:04 AM

3,018 posts, read 1,307,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam_rising View Post
Many Puerto Ricans (mainly the older ones) need to stop thinking that staying as with the US is the only way to survive. Stop relying on the US federal government. Puerto Rico is like a 30 year old mixed race man who had a rough childhood, who later got adopted as a child by a white family (or kidnapped if you really think about USA stole PR from Spain), and now wants to willingly stay with this white family that lowkey doesnt even like him.
This is called Stockholm syndrome. I made a thread a long time ago. Puerto Ricans have a huge case of colonial Stockholm syndrome.

Old 06-04-2020, 09:45 AM

3,712 posts, read 1,174,758 times
Please Independent.
Go out on its own,leave the nest it so much dislikes.
As a poster said PR is like an adopted child who at 35 years old dislikes the new parents.
Get out of the house and be on your own and stop the bitching.

Old 06-04-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Please Independent.
Go out on its own,leave the nest it so much dislikes.
As a poster said PR is like an adopted child who at 35 years old dislikes the new parents.
Get out of the house and be on your own and stop the bitching.
Do you even know anything about Puerto Rico or are you just projecting your views of how you think they think?

Puerto Ricans are more patriotic than many Trump supporters. Loyal citizens of the republic unlike Trump's Russian stooges.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:57 PM

1,833 posts, read 984,017 times
I haven’t kept track of this in recent years and not since Hurricane María, but I remember seeing polls in PR where 1/3 of people wanted statehood, 1/3 wanted to become an independent country, and 1/3 wanted to remain as a territory. What happens? Not much as no one can agree.

Looking at the issue from the mainland, if PR became the 51st state, then Democrats would have a leg up in voting in the Senate as PR's two senators would consistently be Democratic. The alternative is to merge the Carolinas or Dakotas into one state. Of course that would mean that they would give up political power.

Old 06-04-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Sure,says the poster living on Long Island NY.
My family owns a second home on the island. I've actually been there ... quite a few times. And what's more? I've actually spoken with Puerto Ricans. I know who they are and what they want. Puerto Rico has good food, beautiful women, and cheap real estate ... what's not to like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
I haven’t kept track of this in recent years and not since Hurricane María, but I remember seeing polls in PR where 1/3 of people wanted statehood, 1/3 wanted to become an independent country, and 1/3 wanted to remain as a territory. What happens? Not much as no one can agree.
I've never seen polling like that in my lifetime. Once upon a time, from the 1990s until about the past few years the polling was generally something like ~48% pro-statehood and ~45% pro-commonwealth (aka pro-territory/pro-colony) with the balance being decided by those who support independence. Over the past 10 years or so, support for the pro-commonwealth option has taken a big hit while support for statehood has generally increased. In a poll conducted last June, statehood got 57% while commonwealth declined to 35%.

Old 06-04-2020, 10:27 PM

1,952 posts, read 742,132 times
I've been to Puerto Rico many times over the years, and I've also done business there. Do you know that the Uniform Commercial Code has been installed there as part of coordinating their laws with U.S. laws? And legal agreements are required be done in both English and Spanish.

It's a place that is having a hard time figuring out what they are. Some families are being raised Spanish. Some English. Some New Yorikan and Spanglish. They look at Miami television, and you'd think everyone would have the ability to speak English--they don't.

Puerto Rico is a place that has no industrial base or factories. It's a place with a large percentage of their citizens had to move "off shore" to find jobs. There are millions of Puerto Ricans living in New York and Florida mainly.

An immense amount of money has been poured into the infrastructure of Puerto Rico, and about all they've got to show is a highway west of San Juan across the island toward Ponce, and the road turns south there. You cannot hardly get over the mountains from the north side of the island to the south.
And where has the $ billions gone? Ask the very corrupt politicians that have had control of the island.

With some of the world's best weather and beautiful beaches and mountains, Puerto Rico should be one of the garden spots in this hemisphere. But the biggest, most luxurious resorts have gone to other islands. Why?

The biggest problem with Puerto Rico is that their population is just one big low income social state. With no jobs, they'll get hold of a cooler and sell water at red lights. Give them a canopy and a gas grill and they've got a restaurant on the side of the highway. They're very entrepreneurial people but pay no income taxes.

Another problem is crime, which is rampant. Every house has burglar bars and security storm doors. Every carport has burglar bars surrounding the cars, and a locked gate. And things don't improve.

The U.S. cannot afford Puerto Rico as a state. But we cannot afford not to have Puerto Rico because of their strategic location that is so important to the security of the region. It's a great place for the U.S. Navy. Puerto Rico also close to one of the largest refineries in the world in St. Croix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories