U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Puerto Rico become a state or an independent nation?
State 53 42.06%
Independent nation 63 50.00%
Other (please specify in your post) 10 7.94%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 12:15 PM

6,327 posts, read 4,510,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
The U.S. cannot afford Puerto Rico as a state. But we cannot afford not to have Puerto Rico because of their strategic location that is so important to the security of the region. It's a great place for the U.S. Navy. Puerto Rico also close to one of the largest refineries in the world in St. Croix.
So in other words, deny PR statehood, which would give it's residents full voting representation in Congress, as well as the ability to vote for President and to be treated equal with other states, but yet keep stringing them along because of it's "strategic location"?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2020, 02:10 PM

20,648 posts, read 21,441,667 times
[quote=Bamaman1;58298068]I've been to Puerto Rico many times over the years, and I've also done business there. Do you know that the Uniform Commercial Code has been installed there as part of coordinating their laws with U.S. laws? And legal agreements are required be done in both English and Spanish.

It's a place that is having a hard time figuring out what they are. Some families are being raised Spanish. Some English. Some New Yorikan and Spanglish. They look at Miami television, and you'd think everyone would have the ability to speak English--they don't.

Puerto Rico is a place that has no industrial base or factories. It's a place with a large percentage of their citizens had to move "off shore" to find jobs. There are millions of Puerto Ricans living in New York and Florida mainly.

An immense amount of money has been poured into the infrastructure of Puerto Rico, and about all they've got to show is a highway west of San Juan across the island toward Ponce, and the road turns south there. You cannot hardly get over the mountains from the north side of the island to the south.
And where has the $ billions gone?
Ask the very corrupt politicians that have had control of the island.

With some of the world's best weather and beautiful beaches and mountains, Puerto Rico should be one of the garden spots in this hemisphere. But the biggest, most luxurious resorts have gone to other islands. Why?

The biggest problem with Puerto Rico is that their population is just one big low income social state. With no jobs, they'll get hold of a cooler and sell water at red lights. Give them a canopy and a gas grill and they've got a restaurant on the side of the highway. They're very entrepreneurial people but pay no income taxes.

Another problem is crime, which is rampant. Every house has burglar bars and security storm doors. Every carport has burglar bars surrounding the cars, and a locked gate. And things don't improve.

The U.S. cannot afford Puerto Rico as a state. But we cannot afford not to have Puerto Rico because of their strategic location that is so important to the security of the region. It's a great

The north to south from Areicbo to Ponce is a pretty new toll road 10 thru the center of the island. East to west from SJ on the north to Aguadillia is highway 2 and 22. East to west from SJ on the south to Maysguez highway 2 and 52.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:55 PM

280 posts, read 103,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
The U.S. cannot afford Puerto Rico as a state.
It's not up to mainland whether Puerto Rico becomes a state. It's up to Puerto Rico if THEY want to become a state.

It's all about taxes.

Old 06-13-2020, 10:14 PM

21,775 posts, read 10,058,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindraker View Post
It's not up to mainland whether Puerto Rico becomes a state. It's up to Puerto Rico if THEY want to become a state.

It's all about taxes.
It's up to both in practice; Puerto Rico just couldn't decide to become a state on its own, and Republicans in Congress don't appear especially keen on granting Puerto Rico statehood at this moment in any case.

But, by law, Congress has sole authority for admitting new states (subject to veto from existing states if Congress wants to carve up their states to make new states that way) and could bypass the will of Puerto Rico/Puerto Ricans and forcibly make the territory the 51st state.

The Constitution only gives existing states veto power over carving up parts of their states to form new states. Territories have no such veto power under the Constitution. In relevant part, the US Constitution reads:

Quote:
New states may be admitted by the Congress into this union; but no new states shall be formed or erected within the jurisdiction of any other state; nor any state be formed by the junction of two or more states, or parts of states, without the consent of the legislatures of the states concerned as well as of the Congress.

The Congress shall have power to dispose of and make all needful rules and regulations respecting the territory or other property belonging to the United States; and nothing in this Constitution shall be so construed as to prejudice any claims of the United States, or of any particular state.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/articleiv

Old 06-22-2020, 06:53 PM

6,416 posts, read 3,468,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Roughly 90% of the population opposes independence.

Should we get rid of Alabama and West Virginia too? Or are they special because White Republicans live there?
Alabama got statehood in 1819.

West Virgina became a state in 1863.

Long before that and also afterwards, Puerto Rico was a Spanish colony. (1493–1898)

The culture is heavily Hispanic, and Spanish is one of the official languages.

I'm a Democrat, and realize that Puerto Rico statehood would likely mean more Democratic votes, but no one has convinced me that Puerto Rico should become a U.S. state.

I don't see how Puerto Rico statehood would benefit the citizens of all 50 other states. I see only negatives for the rest of us.

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 06-22-2020 at 07:07 PM..

Old 06-22-2020, 07:03 PM

13,387 posts, read 11,666,306 times
Puerto Ricans have been Americans for well over 100 years. Do we just string them along as a colony forever? The main obstacle I see is what to do with the other (tiny) colonies whose populations would remain far too small to be considered for statehood.

Old 06-23-2020, 11:15 AM

7,801 posts, read 9,070,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I'm a Democrat, and realize that Puerto Rico statehood would likely mean more Democratic votes
That's what you get out of it ... another Democratic state. The whole reason we have so many states is because a party admitted that territory as a state for political reasons. Do you REALLY think we made West Virginia a state because we felt bad for the people of West Virginia? No, West Virginia became a state because it was a heavily pro-union part of Virginia during the Civil War. It's all about politics.

People like you are the reason why Republicans keep winning elections over and over. You need to get into the ditch and play dirty. If there was a largely White territory populated by poor and religious White people do you think the Republicans would sit around musing about whether or not they should be a state?

Old 06-24-2020, 07:01 PM

6,416 posts, read 3,468,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
That's what you get out of it ... another Democratic state. The whole reason we have so many states is because a party admitted that territory as a state for political reasons. Do you REALLY think we made West Virginia a state because we felt bad for the people of West Virginia? No, West Virginia became a state because it was a heavily pro-union part of Virginia during the Civil War. It's all about politics.

People like you are the reason why Republicans keep winning elections over and over. You need to get into the ditch and play dirty. If there was a largely White territory populated by poor and religious White people do you think the Republicans would sit around musing about whether or not they should be a state?
You didn't even finish my sentence!

"I'm a Democrat, and realize that Puerto Rico statehood would likely mean more Democratic votes, but no one has convinced me that Puerto Rico should become a U.S. state.

I don't see how Puerto Rico statehood would benefit the citizens of all 50 other states. I see only negatives for the rest of us."

You certainly have not convinced me why there should be Puerto Rican statehood.

You are just an attacker, period.

Old 06-24-2020, 07:58 PM

191 posts, read 80,481 times
I find colonialism distasteful. Puerto Rico should be independent, same with Hawaii.

Old 06-25-2020, 10:20 AM

6,723 posts, read 9,455,908 times
Hawaii is a state and, as far as I know, no state is allowed to break away from the United States. Independence is a legal option for Puerto Rico because it's a territory. If it were to become a state, independence is not an option anymore unless the USA falls on hard times and is not able to withold its constitution and other things. The USA is very far from becoming a failed state.

In my experience, Puerto Ricans in general aren't pro-independence, but they aren't pro-statehood either. They like things as they are right now from a legal view. The problems of Puerto Rico should be solved within the current legal condition of Puerto Rico, as per the belief of the people. Puerto Ricans that are pro-statehood more often than not live in one of the 50 states of the USA. Despite that, most Puerto Ricans that I have met in the USA aren't pro-statehood or pro-independence. There is a greater number that supports turning Puerto Rico into a state, but even there most Puerto Ricans like the legal situation of Puerto Rico as it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories