Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Puerto Rico become a state or an independent nation?
State 75 41.90%
Independent nation 84 46.93%
Other (please specify in your post) 20 11.17%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2021, 05:36 PM

3,461 posts, read 2,786,747 times

Advertisements

Is this article true?
https://reason.com/2021/05/21/puerto...ig-government/

Old 05-23-2021, 10:29 AM

529 posts, read 1,086,910 times
To be truthful, Puerto Rican’s are happy colonials. If push comes to shove, they will vote for statehood if given the chance between two options. Nonetheless most have a strange idea of statehood. Most don’t know the small print of statehood. Most Puerto Rican’s back statehood because they’ve been colonials for 120 years. Most see statehood as a security blanket which is better than being thrown into an ocean full of sharks. In reality many more would prefer independence but most are scared of being ripped off by their own if the Americans weren’t present to keep a watch over them.

However, in reality “ WHO CARES WHAT PUERTO RICANS WANT “. The ones who’ll make that decision are the Americans, AND only within their best political interests.

What are their political interests? One can only speculate but........given the racial turmoil the United States is going through, the fact that whites will become a political minority by 2045 doesn’t help. The GOP is already trying to change voting rules. These rules appear to be screwing up minorities more than whites. All of this will most likely affect statehood for Washington D.C. Most of the voting residents of D.C. are black and a great majority Democrats. Puerto Rico is an even more sad situation. As a state, because of population, they’ll have to give Puerto Rico more House representatives than 20 whites states! Most, if not all, will most likely be Democrats, the party that promotes welfare, something that Puerto Rican’s love.

Its strange that no one here discusses these details.

Old 05-23-2021, 10:47 AM

529 posts, read 1,086,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
it should be a state IMO.
if there was an overwhelming majority that wanted independence I would say let PR become a country.
Puerto Rico is a country despite that most state holders reject that idea. The international Olympic community already has declared Puerto Rico country. Congress has done also. By Puerto Rico being a non incorporated territory it means that Puerto Rico is not considered apt for statehood.

Yes this can change, but it hasn’t in 121 years.

Can congress dispose of Puerto Rico if it so feels like it, YES IT CAN. However I don’t think disposal is that easy at this date and time. Many here will say we're, “ American citizens”. They can’t do that. . Different from most Americans our American citizenship is statuary, given by a congressional law in 1917. It can be eradicated, however I don’t think it’ll happen, but who knows.

The real problem with statehood in 2021 is political power. As a state Puerto Rico will have more representative political power than 20 white states, at a time when whites will become a political minority by the year 2045. To many this is unimportant, however if half of the United States is so worried about race displacement, thanks to Trump, statehood for Puerto Rico will be a dead issue.

Wait and see..........

Old 05-23-2021, 11:09 AM

13,457 posts, read 4,292,364 times
Trump lives in your head rent free.. I wonder who was your cuco boogie man before 2016. I can’t remember your posts that far. I know you had like 2 or 3. I’m still smiling at your old posts that Puerto Rico will “negotiate” for independence. I hope you are in that negotiating table for something to brag about to my kids.

Old 05-23-2021, 08:21 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,493,228 times
Like anywhere else in the Caribbean, PR will be increasingly battered by hurricanes and there will be less land above water. Evacuation of most of the PR population will become necessary. If the nation splits apart before evacuation, then PR could be left out with nowhere to go. Or it may be cut loose as too much of a liability.

Old 05-23-2021, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
Like anywhere else in the Caribbean, PR will be increasingly battered by hurricanes and there will be less land above water. Evacuation of most of the PR population will become necessary. If the nation splits apart before evacuation, then PR could be left out with nowhere to go. Or it may be cut loose as too much of a liability.

P.R. has been battered by hurricanes for over 600 years and they are still floating and kicking. They get a level 5 hurricane every 80 to 90 years apart and the last one just happened in 2017 so do the math.

Worry more about California and their earthquakes and the Andrea's Fault. They have over 40 million people. Where are they going to run at the bottom of the ocean? It's easier to move 3 million people than 40 million.

Old 05-24-2021, 07:04 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,663,838 times
Not trying to downplay the impact of climate in Caribbean living, but if we're going to go down this route then South Florida imo faces greater short-term challenges to cost of living and climate resiliency than the islands of the Caribbean, especially on a per capita basis.

Old 05-24-2021, 09:17 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clip314 View Post
Puerto Rico is a country despite that most state holders reject that idea. The international Olympic community already has declared Puerto Rico country. Congress has done also. By Puerto Rico being a non incorporated territory it means that Puerto Rico is not considered apt for statehood.

That the IOC says that PR is a country is pretty worthless. I mean they call Hong Kong a participating country when it is part of China (not trying to get political or take sides, just stating a fact). Until they are recognized by other major countries and the U.N. they are just a territory. The U.S. congress has done what again? As near as I can find they have not designated it either an autonomous nation or a U.S. state.

Anyway we should not make it a state as it would be a big dollar vacuum with very little in return.

Old 05-24-2021, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
That the IOC says that PR is a country is pretty worthless. I mean they call Hong Kong a participating country when it is part of China (not trying to get political or take sides, just stating a fact). Until they are recognized by other major countries and the U.N. they are just a territory. The U.S. congress has done what again? As near as I can find they have not designated it either an autonomous nation or a U.S. state.

Anyway we should not make it a state as it would be a big dollar vacuum with very little in return.

LOL. Worthless as a country? they said that? . Puerto Rico has the highest per capita than any other Latin country. They are U.S. Citizens under the U.S. Flag. How is that worthless? if that is worthless then cut off Central and South America and every other island in the Americas from the map.

You lost me with your " Until they are recognized by other major countries and the U.N. they are just a territory." Why with the U.N. or any other country recognize Puerto Rico as anything other than being part of the U.S. ? Do you have any precedent for the 37 U.S. territories that are states today?

We don't make states from territories to make money or what other people in other states think. If you had taken real American history you would know money has nothing to do with it, if it did, We would be 13 States with 38 U.S. Territories.

Old 05-24-2021, 09:47 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
LOL. Worthless as a country? they said that? . Puerto Rico has the highest per capita than any other Latin country. They are U.S. Citizens under the U.S. Flag. How is that worthless? if that is worthless then cut off Central and South America and every other island in the Americas from the map.

You lost me with your " Until they are recognized by other major countries and the U.N. they are just a territory." Why with the U.N. or any other country recognize Puerto Rico as anything other than being part of the U.S. ? Do you have any precedent for the 37 U.S. territories that are states today?

We don't make states from territories to make money or what other people in other states think. If you had taken real American history you would know money has nothing to do with it, if it did, We would be 13 States with 38 U.S. Territories.

Reading comprehension......The IOC's opinion on nation-states is worthless because they are a non-governmental sports organization.

Highest per capita what?

You were the one who brought up the notion of PR as a country in post #223, not me.

Money has a lot to do with it. The Louisiana and Alaska purchases have paid off many times over with resources and economic development that would not have happened otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories