Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Puerto Rico become a state or an independent nation?
State 75 41.90%
Independent nation 84 46.93%
Other (please specify in your post) 20 11.17%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 06:43 AM

3,850 posts, read 2,222,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
In my experience, Puerto Ricans in general aren't pro-independence, but they aren't pro-statehood either. They like things as they are right now from a legal view. The problems of Puerto Rico should be solved within the current legal condition of Puerto Rico, as per the belief of the people.
Can't be done. I think the last 100 years have proven that.

Old 06-30-2020, 12:12 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,810,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Can't be done. I think the last 100 years have proven that.
of course it can be done

Old 07-02-2020, 06:03 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,445,119 times
In 2017 only 23% of Puerto Ricans even turned out to vote on a referendum regarding statehood (statehood vs. remaining as they are now; the referendum was not statehood vs. independence).

Old 07-07-2020, 09:54 AM

10,054 posts, read 14,923,290 times
On another note, the Puerto Rican Eugenio María de Hostos lived for many years in Santo Domingo (among the things he did was influence the Dominican education system) and is the only foreigner whose remains are at the National Pantheon. He did request that as long that Puerto Rico remains a colony (his words) he should be buried in Santo Domingo.

Now, he wasn't clear if he wanted Puerto Rico as an independent country or a fully integral part of another country. Given that, if Puerto Rico becomes a state of the USA, his remains can finally be moved from Santo Domingo to Puerto Rico since it will not be a colony anymore, the first time in over 500 years.

Old 08-20-2020, 11:50 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,542,183 times
PR should either remain a commonwealth territory or become a state. PR as a sovereign nation is impractacle and would be disastrous for its people. PR needs a complete overhaul of its business legal framework and governance practices. It could be very well positioned to benefit from its unique status, but it has been shockingly unable to do so.

Old 08-20-2020, 04:10 PM

486 posts, read 601,202 times
Personally I would like to see Puerto Rico become a state but I realize that is not up to me, nor should it be.

That is for the residents of the territory to decide. This becoming a reality is unlikely, though, if Republicans have control of the WH and Congress. PR, no doubt, will vote overwhelmingly Democratic; this includes two Senate seats, 5 US House seats, and 7 electoral votes in the electoral college.

Old 08-21-2020, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
PR should either remain a commonwealth territory or become a state. PR as a sovereign nation is impractacle and would be disastrous for its people.
Filipinos did it. There's no reason that Puerto Rico can't become independent. Our government could help PR become independent and continue to give aid during a transition period. The problems in PR are in large part caused by its colonial status. If they were independent, things would get moving.

The status quo is not working, and statehood would be a disaster.

Quote:
PR needs a complete overhaul of its business legal framework and governance practices.
Independence would stimulate a more productive Puerto Rican society. That's what they need. Just like young adults often need to be kicked out of the house in order to become responsible adults, independence would create the incentive for Puerto Ricans to become more productive.

Old 08-21-2020, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jFug View Post
Personally I would like to see Puerto Rico become a state but I realize that is not up to me, nor should it be.

That is for the residents of the territory to decide.
No, all Americans should have a say. This is our country. What Americans think about the prospect of Puerto Rico becoming part of the Union is relevant. You can't vote to be part of someone else's family without their consent.

Old 08-21-2020, 01:53 PM

138 posts, read 172,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
No, all Americans should have a say. This is our country. What Americans think about the prospect of Puerto Rico becoming part of the Union is relevant. You can't vote to be part of someone else's family without their consent.
Isn't that why Congress has the power to admit new states?

Old 09-05-2020, 03:33 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,024,818 times
If Puerto Rico becomes a state then, it will not look good for the economy there.

Granting statehood to Puerto Rico would set back the island’s economy, cost American companies billions of dollars and decrease sources of federal revenues.

According to a new report published by the U.S General Accountability Office (GAO), out of the estimated $5.2 billion in new federal spending Puerto Rico would receive, only a range of $2-4 billion would come back in new revenues for the federal government. However, statehood would mean that every day Puerto Ricans would be saddled with $2.3 billion in new federal taxes that they do not pay today.https://www.huffpost.com/entry/gao-c...mIt2fq01bEr6B8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.