U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 08:15 AM

2,377 posts, read 654,489 times

Advertisements

pman, I agree completely with what you're saying - educated speculation says good news is ahead.

but it's a weird time, and I am not a conspiracy theorist. I do crunch alot of numbers for a living, though, and while I am usually the first to say, "nothing to see here" - I've never seen numbers like this. so for this one time only - painful though it may be - and it will be painful - a lockdown seems like the right move.

what's also weird is that Florida is NOT locked down, with far more cases than PR.

NYC is running out of beds - that was on the news this morning -they'd like the Army Corp. to come build some.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2020, 10:44 AM
aax

712 posts, read 316,485 times
If you get hit by a hurricane this summer don't send everyone up to Florida like you did last time. Fix your own problems.

Old 03-23-2020, 10:29 AM

10,067 posts, read 14,940,961 times
Quote:
The Bacardí distillery announced an agreement with local refinery Olein Recovery Inc. to provide ethanol, the raw material that will allow the production of more than 1.7 million 10-ounce units of 70-percent alcohol hand sanitizer, in response to the coronavirus (COVID-19) emergency...Similarly, Distilería Serrallés announced earlier this week that it has shifted its operations to produce ethyl alcohol with a concentration of 70 percent to distribute to hospital institutions and health clinics in Puerto Rico.
https://www.theweeklyjournal.com/bus...55666a121.html

Old 04-08-2020, 11:02 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,637,024 times
The FDA has approved use of Hydroxychloroquine in patients with COVID-19 in Puerto Rico:

https://www.elnuevodia.com/estilosde...orico-2559557/

This bit of news may be a glimmer of hope or a reckless gamble. Time will tell. We can only hope for the best.

Old 04-09-2020, 11:22 AM

7,801 posts, read 9,103,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
The FDA has approved use of Hydroxychloroquine in patients with COVID-19 in Puerto Rico:

https://www.elnuevodia.com/estilosde...orico-2559557/

This bit of news may be a glimmer of hope or a reckless gamble. Time will tell. We can only hope for the best.
Is Hydroxychloroquine truly safe and effective for use in Coronavirus patients ... or is the FDA just looking to appease Trump and avoid making him look like an even bigger fool? Bear in mind that the National Institutes of Health has only just BEGUN to study the safety and effectiveness of Hydroxychloroquine in relation to Coronavirus.

That's my concern. I've read that Hydroxychloroquine carries a significant risk of permanent vision loss.

Old 04-09-2020, 04:47 PM

6,793 posts, read 9,554,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Is Hydroxychloroquine truly safe and effective for use in Coronavirus patients ... or is the FDA just looking to appease Trump and avoid making him look like an even bigger fool? Bear in mind that the National Institutes of Health has only just BEGUN to study the safety and effectiveness of Hydroxychloroquine in relation to Coronavirus.

That's my concern. I've read that Hydroxychloroquine carries a significant risk of permanent vision loss.
Found this article based on 6,000 doctors opinion on the drug.

Hydroxychloroquine rated 'most effective therapy' by doctors for coronavirus: Global survey

"An international poll of more than 6,000 doctors released Thursday found that the antimalarial drug hydroxychloroquine was the most highly rated treatment for the novel coronavirus.

The survey conducted by Sermo, a global health care polling company, of 6,227 physicians in 30 countries found that 37% of those treating COVID-19 patients rated hydroxychloroquine as the “most effective therapy” from a list of 15 options.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration gave chloroquine and its next-generation derivative, hydroxychloroquine, emergency-use authorization Monday for treating the novel coronavirus, although the drug was already being used off-label by some doctors and hospitals for COVID-19 patients.

Azithromycin, known by the brand name Zithromax or Z-Pak, was rated the second-most effective therapy at 32%

Hydroxychloroquine, which is sold under the brand name Plaquenil, was prescribed mainly in the United States for the most severe cases, but not so in other countries."

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ve-therapy-do/

Old 07-21-2020, 05:28 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
5,940 posts, read 4,600,574 times
What's the status on things there now? I have heard rumblings online about a shut down on the island as of this mid July spike. I have a planned trip there mid/late August, and then to Santo Domingo from San Juan.

Old 07-22-2020, 09:12 AM

1,423 posts, read 2,361,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Found this article based on 6,000 doctors opinion on the drug.

Hydroxychloroquine rated 'most effective therapy' by doctors for coronavirus: Global survey

"An international poll of more than 6,000 doctors released Thursday found that the antimalarial drug hydroxychloroquine was the most highly rated treatment for the novel coronavirus.

The survey conducted by Sermo, a global health care polling company, of 6,227 physicians in 30 countries found that 37% of those treating COVID-19 patients rated hydroxychloroquine as the “most effective therapy” from a list of 15 options.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration gave chloroquine and its next-generation derivative, hydroxychloroquine, emergency-use authorization Monday for treating the novel coronavirus, although the drug was already being used off-label by some doctors and hospitals for COVID-19 patients.

Azithromycin, known by the brand name Zithromax or Z-Pak, was rated the second-most effective therapy at 32%

Hydroxychloroquine, which is sold under the brand name Plaquenil, was prescribed mainly in the United States for the most severe cases, but not so in other countries."

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ve-therapy-do/
This one didn´t age well. Oh well, you have to try different things.

Old 07-22-2020, 09:16 AM

1,423 posts, read 2,361,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
What's the status on things there now? I have heard rumblings online about a shut down on the island as of this mid July spike. I have a planned trip there mid/late August, and then to Santo Domingo from San Juan.
I think the situation is definitely worsening. Lots of reports of tourists going out and about without masks, and the locals are pretty pissed about it.

Also, ticket prices are so low that the most unsavory of tourists are showing up and acting a fool:

https://www.telemundo31.com/videos/v...-rico/2003584/

PR used to strike me as a more upscale tourist destination. I´m sure it´ll go back to being one eventually.

Last edited by aab7855; 07-22-2020 at 10:38 AM..

Old 07-22-2020, 05:10 PM

1,822 posts, read 4,193,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
I think the situation is definitely worsening. Lots of reports of tourists going out and about without masks, and the locals are pretty pissed about it.

Also, ticket prices are so low that the most unsavory of tourists are showing up and acting a fool:

https://www.telemundo31.com/videos/v...-rico/2003584/

PR used to strike me as a more upscale tourist destination. I´m sure it´ll go back to being one eventually.
Meh, that's just Spirit Airlines standard everywhere. The ULCC airline model is here to stay, not really germane to Caribbean travel writ large. Travel to PR from city pairs west of Atlanta is still pretty pricey all things considered. According to the clip, return flight to philly that got turned back around to SJU when pax got rowdy.

We're staying away from travel for the holidays this year. I'm not risking my parents, plus the DOD's got me locked down anyways. They live bunkered lives down there as it is. At least we got Zoom and WhatsApp. Hoping to see them next summer when/if the CONUS denizenry gets over that recalcitrant anti-collectivist petulance (more of an aspirational utterance, I have no confidence Continental culture is capable of that level of national cohesion), and the case positivity rate settles down.

Everybody stay safe out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories