Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2022, 03:09 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,400,393 times

Advertisements

One of these days, PR and the other territories are going to lose their golden spoon. The Fed has dumped untold billions for hurricane repairs on the island with no visible results. The govt is broke and we ALL know it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2022, 09:08 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,815,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
One of these days, PR and the other territories are going to lose their golden spoon. The Fed has dumped untold billions for hurricane repairs on the island with no visible results. The govt is broke and we ALL know it.
not sure I agree with yout statement "no visible results." not only have lines been replaced, roofs have been replaced, but power in many places have already been restored. that is actually progress.

Old 09-30-2022, 05:54 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,400,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
not sure I agree with yout statement "no visible results." not only have lines been replaced, roofs have been replaced, but power in many places have already been restored. that is actually progress.
doesn't justify all the money wasted there

Old 10-23-2022, 05:51 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times
I posted earlier that my son and family were on extended stay in Vega Baja where his wife is from. They intended to buy a house for short term rentals and for them to stay when visiting family. Vieques was not working out on their budget, and the burden of getting supplies there is difficult.

So they just bought a 3/2 house for $130k and will put $40k into it. It is golf cart range of the ocean and a grocery store. Places in that area rent for $100-$150 a night. It seems a sensible project.....especially since my sons FIL is a contractor there.

Old 10-23-2022, 07:10 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,467,480 times
Have any of you read or watch the movie Rum Diary?
and whatever happens to $73 billions muni bond the PR government and utility co issued back then?

Old 10-23-2022, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
Have any of you read or watch the movie Rum Diary?
and whatever happens to $73 billions muni bond the PR government and utility co issued back then?
I haven’t, but I have learned a few things from my DIL, whose parents, grandparents and siblings live there. They are affluent land owners, and just seem resigned to the way things are. I would think people with their resources would try to affect change politically, but they just go with the flow. Maybe it’s just the island lifestyle. They don’t care enough to change anything.

I heard that the private company in charge of upgrading the power grid is being sabotaged by the union members in the previous regime.

Old 10-23-2022, 07:07 PM

13,442 posts, read 4,283,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I heard that the private company in charge of upgrading the power grid is being sabotaged by the union members in the previous regime.

After 80 years of the unions calling the shots, they are not going to give up power that easy to the private company coming in. They want them to fail and go back to old system.

Old 11-02-2022, 03:29 PM

24,451 posts, read 25,987,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I haven’t, but I have learned a few things from my DIL, whose parents, grandparents and siblings live there. They are affluent land owners, and just seem resigned to the way things are. I would think people with their resources would try to affect change politically, but they just go with the flow. Maybe it’s just the island lifestyle. They don’t care enough to change anything.

When I lived and worked in PR the locals used to kinda shrug and say "we settle." Just like you said about resigned and go with the flow.

Old 12-06-2023, 06:52 AM

Fast forward, and we are visiting the house that the kids are almost finished with. We have had a chance to explore the immediate area and I’ve been mentally listing the pros and cons of the place.

We are on the coast, so almost everywhere we go there is one beautiful view of the ocean after another. It is colorful and there is a lot of music in the air. The pace is relaxed and festive. The people are nice. That’s about it.

The minuses are really outweighing the pluses.

The music in the air tends to be blasting from every car and everyone’s house and on the beach. I used to think it was cool, but the people have no regard for those around them. They blast their music from early morning until late at night.

Stray dogs wander around everywhere, and nobody feeds them, neuters them, or cares for them.
Nobody does anything.

Stray wild horses live happily on a 500 acre plot of land, and they seem pretty healthy, except since the trash isn’t picked up quickly enough, the horses get into the trash at the side of the road. Nobody does anything.

The house next to the beach, where my kids stay, belongs to the family. Cars park in front of their driveway, so they can’t get out. No parking signs, orange cones, or painted curbs…nothing keeps cars from parking there. The police won’t do anything. There is no such thing as a tow truck. The mayor won’t do anything.

Speaking of the Mayor, my son and DIL have become acquainted over the driveway issue. They found out he was planning a row of individual shops at the beach property. These shops would be across the street from their driveway. He found out my DIL is an architect so he showed her the building plans. She told him there were several things wrong with the plan, and what he should do to fix them. He’s not listening, because he likes them the way he envisioned them.

There does not appear much zoning, so on a very nice street there could be a few abandoned houses. Nobody does anything.

Everyone lives behind concrete walls and gates, so the crime must be bad. It’s not uncommon to be accosted by people wanting money.

Bottom line, I couldn’t live here all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories