Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 07:40 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times

Advertisements

I wonder, how many of you remember Puerto Rico's Tourist Routes - the Parrot, Paso Fino Horse, Coqui, Flamboyant Tree, and Panoramic Route? They have been gone since the early 2000s, although there is still some leftover signage in San Juan (the part where the Parrot, Paso Fino Horse, and Flamboyant Tree Routes were concurrent).

I wonder, what was the reason for their elimination?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 08:11 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
Don't recall the routes, but regarding the Flamboyant Tree, I have successfully started some trees from seed that I brought home. As they grow, they travel with us in pots...can't wait to see them planted in our Yuma yard, the only thing missing will be the humidity !

Old 06-07-2012, 12:59 PM

Here are some descriptions of each route:

Parrot Route
Started in Mayaguez, headed north then east via PR-2 to Hatillo, then via PR-22 to San Juan, ending concurrently with the Paso Fino Horse and Flamboyant Tree Routes near the airport on PR-26.

Paso Fino Horse Route
Started in Mayaguez, headed south and east via PR-2 to Ponce, headed east and north via PR-52 and PR-18 to San Juan, eventually becoming concurrent with the Flamboyant Tree Route and later the Parrot Route, all three routes ending near the airport on PR-26.

Flamboyant Tree Route
Started in San Juan near the airport, concurrently with the Parrot and Paso Fino Horse Routes on PR-26, then heading south via PR-18/PR-52, then headed east (can't remember the route number) to Humacao.

Coqui Route
Started in San Juan at the terminus of the Parrot, Paso Fino Horse, and Flamboyant Tree Routes near the airport on PR-26, headed east via PR-26, then continued east and south via PR-3 to Ceiba, and finally via PR-53 south to Humacao.

Panoramic Route
Ran throug the center of the island via various routes from Mayaguez to Maunabo.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:10 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,890,053 times
It's nice to know about those routes. I had never heard about them!!

Old 06-07-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie of Oldsmar View Post
It's nice to know about those routes. I had never heard about them!!
Of course, other than the Panoramic Route, they don't exist anymore, although there is still leftover signage in San Juan where the Parrot, Paso Fino Horse, and Flamboyant Tree routes were concurrent.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:28 PM

45 posts, read 95,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros 1337 View Post
My guess is that a new administration didn't like the previous administation's initiatives!

Old 08-21-2012, 08:33 PM

45 posts, read 95,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Don't recall the routes, but regarding the Flamboyant Tree, I have successfully started some trees from seed that I brought home. As they grow, they travel with us in pots...can't wait to see them planted in our Yuma yard, the only thing missing will be the humidity !
How is that tree doing?

Old 01-06-2023, 04:46 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
"How is that tree doing?" Wish I knew, we sold the Yuma property in '14.

Old 01-06-2023, 07:06 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,661,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
From where I sit, because it was an infantile idea meant to placate tourists, that never took on with the locals. But, what was more concurrent was the gradual expansion of accurate online mapping services during the expansion of retail broadband internet at the turn of the century. The island had suffered from bad road signage for decades; the cartoons were a haphazard way of simplifying it and making it easier for tourists, but it never caught on for the local population.

I was still living in the island through academic year breaks and summers during college during that time, and remember remarking among some high school classmates the ridiculous signs. The common concern at the time however, was how terrible the actual physical signage of roads was at the time, compared to the much more useful and organized signage of the lower 48. Again, with the explosion in popularity of google maps type services, the problem became self-limited, and the long-existing numbering of roads in PR could finally be used in earnest.

The shift became (for me at least) evident around the late 00s (2008 and beyond, when google maps became available for mobile).

Old 01-08-2023, 08:37 AM

I also know in the late 1990s/early 2000s PR switched to a tiered system for its roads - Primary (blue and white shield), Urban Primary (white and black shield), Secondary (blue and yellow pentagon), and Tertiary (white and black circle).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories