U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-19-2020, 10:11 AM
 
Location: Somewhere below Mason/Dixon
8,084 posts, read 8,594,224 times
Reputation: 13383

Advertisements

PR is essentially a blue state. Why the same over the top reaction from all blue states? Does the virus pick on liberals or something? I’ve not seen any report of major problems in PR with the virus so why?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-21-2020, 11:59 AM
 
1,822 posts, read 4,182,941 times
Reputation: 4916
Lampoon it all you want, but IA and PR have the same population, and though PR has the benefit of limiting the vectors due to its island nature, the numbers between these two are stark. Not bad for a cohort of second class citizens who "can't govern themselves", according to the Manifest Destiny ethnocentrists who wrote that gem of contemporary literary non-fiction, the Insular Cases.

The reality is that the PR government is rightfully concerned if they let the thing get out of hand like the larger states up here have largely allowed, the much more limited capacity healthcare infrastructure down there would end up stacking the bodies, in ways the states can afford to deflect and deny via excess capacity on neighboring states, and the endemic advantage of land movement afforded in the continent.

BL, lotsa chucking peanuts from the cheap seats from the 2nd generation CONUS crowd, but PR has been making lemonade with very little lemons. As someone who has his high-risk parents hunkered down there, and whom I probably won't visit for another 18 months at the earliest, I have very little in the way of criticism of the way they've handled the distancing measures back home. It's a crap sandwich for everybody any way you cut it.

My employer (the military) won't even allow me to travel outside of 150 statute miles from my duty station right now, so if either of them were to be in trouble, I'd be barred from assisting.This isn't some petulant whine about the inconvenience of not being able to dine-in at Chilis, like these yahoos so-called 'neighbors' of mine in Texas are behaving like. So yeah, I got a dog in the fight, which is why I told the OP to cancel the trip. I have no compunction acknowledging my bias. I won't offer my parents as blood sacrifice to the service economy. We're not members of that euphemistic death cult of false dichotomies.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2020, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Philly
10,067 posts, read 14,899,433 times
Reputation: 2804
PR's death rate is not notably different than Texas, neither are particularly high.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...s-us-by-state/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2020, 10:38 AM
 
Location: Somewhere below Mason/Dixon
8,084 posts, read 8,594,224 times
Reputation: 13383
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
Lampoon it all you want, but IA and PR have the same population, and though PR has the benefit of limiting the vectors due to its island nature, the numbers between these two are stark. Not bad for a cohort of second class citizens who "can't govern themselves", according to the Manifest Destiny ethnocentrists who wrote that gem of contemporary literary non-fiction, the Insular Cases.

The reality is that the PR government is rightfully concerned if they let the thing get out of hand like the larger states up here have largely allowed, the much more limited capacity healthcare infrastructure down there would end up stacking the bodies, in ways the states can afford to deflect and deny via excess capacity on neighboring states, and the endemic advantage of land movement afforded in the continent.

BL, lotsa chucking peanuts from the cheap seats from the 2nd generation CONUS crowd, but PR has been making lemonade with very little lemons. As someone who has his high-risk parents hunkered down there, and whom I probably won't visit for another 18 months at the earliest, I have very little in the way of criticism of the way they've handled the distancing measures back home. It's a crap sandwich for everybody any way you cut it.

My employer (the military) won't even allow me to travel outside of 150 statute miles from my duty station right now, so if either of them were to be in trouble, I'd be barred from assisting.This isn't some petulant whine about the inconvenience of not being able to dine-in at Chilis, like these yahoos so-called 'neighbors' of mine in Texas are behaving like. So yeah, I got a dog in the fight, which is why I told the OP to cancel the trip. I have no compunction acknowledging my bias. I won't offer my parents as blood sacrifice to the service economy. We're not members of that euphemistic death cult of false dichotomies.
This post is an example the problem nationwide. Many people believe this is actually a Black Death type pestilence and that we are all in grave danger. The media did this to people and now a full half to a third of the nation is terrified out of their wits. Too much kool aid has been drank period. Let’s remember that over 99 percent of all people have little issues from coronavirus. It does target a very small set of people who have significant health problems. Most older people also recover from it as they would a flu or bronchitis.

What will kill people? Joblessness, isolation and political unrest, all things that a coronavirus depression will cause. PR has a huge economic problem already and now it is locked down for maybe months more. More people will suffer from the cure than the disease. Michigan is another example of a economically fragile situation and it has one of the strictest lockdowns in America. It is ruined for a generation in all likelihood already. I am still shocked at how badly our country has reacted to this and how fear has taken over reason. We may all be in trouble Iif reason does not return soon.

It’s too bad I really have wanted to go to PR and was thinking of doing it this year. Like most blue states there is no end in sight to the lockdowns.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2020, 07:37 PM
Status: "177th Anniversary of Freedom!" (set 5 days ago)
 
6,726 posts, read 9,458,523 times
Reputation: 5187
The point of the lockdown is to not overwhelm the public health system to avoid hospitals from collapsing. That way anyone that requires hospitalization due to Covid-19 and/or to be admitted into an ICU, they can because there will be available beds, ventilators, etc. It was never intended to cure the virus since there is no cure.

The reason people were told to stay at home was to drop the infection curve, that way this doesn't become a widespread issue. The only reason it didn't become a widespread issue in the USA similar to Northern Italy is due to the lockdown. For many places, Puerto Rico included, it was done on a timely manner. In NYC, however, it was done after the disease was causing trouble in the health system and look what happened. Now imagine if no measures were taken. In all likelihood, the curve would not had levelled and the public health system wasn't going to be able to help the people that needed.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2020, 08:48 PM
 
Location: Somewhere below Mason/Dixon
8,084 posts, read 8,594,224 times
Reputation: 13383
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
The point of the lockdown is to not overwhelm the public health system to avoid hospitals from collapsing. That way anyone that requires hospitalization due to Covid-19 and/or to be admitted into an ICU, they can because there will be available beds, ventilators, etc. It was never intended to cure the virus since there is no cure.

The reason people were told to stay at home was to drop the infection curve, that way this doesn't become a widespread issue. The only reason it didn't become a widespread issue in the USA similar to Northern Italy is due to the lockdown. For many places, Puerto Rico included, it was done on a timely manner. In NYC, however, it was done after the disease was causing trouble in the health system and look what happened. Now imagine if no measures were taken. In all likelihood, the curve would not had levelled and the public health system wasn't going to be able to help the people that needed.

Blue state coronavirus talking points.....heard em all before. Red state America never respected any lockdowns and there was no overwhelmed hospitals.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2020, 10:46 PM
 
1,822 posts, read 4,182,941 times
Reputation: 4916
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Blue state coronavirus talking points.....heard em all before. Red state America never respected any lockdowns and there was no overwhelmed hospitals.
LOL Try that again. Deep Red Alabama is in trouble right now. State capital rushing to transfer patients to Birmingham, and cases surging. Ruh Roh. Puerto Rico, which doesn't even get full Medicaid funding as part of the historical institutional disenfranchisement of our colonial second class citizen status, has managed to fend off the surging.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2020, 08:34 AM
 
2,249 posts, read 863,033 times
Reputation: 7244
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Glove use required, really?
Unless you are doing surgery or touching yuk it is pointless.
Healthy hands ARE gloves!
Wash them frequently.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2020, 08:50 AM
 
Location: Philly
10,067 posts, read 14,899,433 times
Reputation: 2804
The lockdown is easing, a bit too extreme in its implementation given the lack problems anywhere in the carribean.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...es/5242560002/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2020, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Philly
10,067 posts, read 14,899,433 times
Reputation: 2804
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ource=url_link
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top