U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-29-2020, 08:35 PM
 
1,703 posts, read 887,579 times
Reputation: 1638

Advertisements

Would it be hard to obtain a job as a black woman from the main land in the spa industry? Do any of you know? I guess I should look at the resorts and hotels first.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-30-2020, 09:20 PM
 
Location: Pereira, Colombia
1,410 posts, read 2,342,807 times
Reputation: 1677
Your best bet may be Rincón, there´s a local economy there where Mainlanders and Islanders often hang side by side. I don´t see "gringos" working as much in the touristy parts of San Juan. Back in 2011-2012 when I lived there you definitely saw them in Rincón though. Things are tough in PR...you´re better off trying to do your own thing (for many people that´s a food truck) rather than plan on looking for a job and finding one.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2020, 09:42 PM
 
1,703 posts, read 887,579 times
Reputation: 1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Your best bet may be Rincón, there´s a local economy there where Mainlanders and Islanders often hang side by side. I don´t see "gringos" working as much in the touristy parts of San Juan. Back in 2011-2012 when I lived there you definitely saw them in Rincón though. Things are tough in PR...you´re better off trying to do your own thing (for many people that´s a food truck) rather than plan on looking for a job and finding one.
Thanks I'll look into Rincon. Do you know anything about the Palmas Del Mar community? Supposedly there are a lot of mainland "gringos" there too.
On a side note* Does gringo mean outsider from the mainland? I know in Hawaii they have a name for white people but the name for black people is different.
There was a thread from 2013 that said black people will be looked at strangely outside of the tourist areas and most PRs are white but there were others who disagreed. Will people treat me different because I'm not white? From Youtube and other sources it said PR is in an upswing since Maria. Is that not true?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2020, 08:46 AM
 
8 posts, read 2,331 times
Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
Thanks I'll look into Rincon. Do you know anything about the Palmas Del Mar community? Supposedly there are a lot of mainland "gringos" there too.
On a side note* Does gringo mean outsider from the mainland? I know in Hawaii they have a name for white people but the name for black people is different.
There was a thread from 2013 that said black people will be looked at strangely outside of the tourist areas and most PRs are white but there were others who disagreed. Will people treat me different because I'm not white? From Youtube and other sources it said PR is in an upswing since Maria. Is that not true?
Most PRs are mixed race, most having slightly more European, averaging 50-70% European with heavy African and indigenous admixture. However many mixed race PRs consider themselves "white" if pressed about race, reason why 75% say they are white when that's far from the truth. When you go to PR you will see.

Theres also many black PRs and white PRs (real white, not mixed ppl claiming white). However you may looked at differently not for being black, but for being American "gringo" (Puerto Ricans are American too, but very different culturally than the US mainland and a distinct ethnic group). Puerto Rico is about 95% ethnic Puerto Rican, 4% immigrants from other Latino/Caribbean counties, 1% American of non-Puerto Rican ancestry. Even tho, theres little mainland Americans there, many Puerto Ricans have exposure to mainland Americans by the media and back n forth migration from PR to the US and back. People can tell whose non-Puerto Rican easily just by the way u carry yourself.

Also be wary of high crime in some parts of the island, particularly the inner city areas of San Juan metro. You should be fine, just focus on building your business or finding a job.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2020, 07:13 PM
 
Location: Pereira, Colombia
1,410 posts, read 2,342,807 times
Reputation: 1677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
Thanks I'll look into Rincon. Do you know anything about the Palmas Del Mar community? Supposedly there are a lot of mainland "gringos" there too.
On a side note* Does gringo mean outsider from the mainland? I know in Hawaii they have a name for white people but the name for black people is different.
There was a thread from 2013 that said black people will be looked at strangely outside of the tourist areas and most PRs are white but there were others who disagreed. Will people treat me different because I'm not white? From Youtube and other sources it said PR is in an upswing since Maria. Is that not true?
Well, how Puerto Ricans label those not born and raised on the island can get kind of complicated. Some feel like "gringo" could be taken as being derogatory to some, so they may avoid using it. If they use it though, they probably mean no offense by it, unless they sound furious when they do. I take zero offense to the term. It´s more common to hear the term "americano", but this is problematic considering PRicans are US Citizens all the same.

I don´t think you´ll have problems as an African American in Puerto Rico. I knew a few AAs on the island who spoke minimal Spanish and they never mentioned any issues to me. There may be a small amount of tension between native PRicans and undocumented Dominicans and Haitians, but I´m sure they´ll be able to tell fairly quickly that you are neither of those, and it should be just fine. I hope that you don´t find yourself feeling any differently based upon your skin color, and I don´t believe you will. I find that a little respect and good manners go an amazingly long way in PR, so I´m sure just being friendly and yourself will be plenty for people.

I just looked up Palmas Del Mar, and I didn´t get to the east side of the island too often. There could be more communities like those, but it doesn´t look that inclusive. Rincón seems to have achieved harmony between outsiders and locals I feel.

PR continues to shed population, which might help the employment situation a little, but times are tough out there. I´m sure there are always opportunities if you look, especially if you make your own way like I said before. I think that Mainlanders coming down with money and taking advantage of tax breaks are enjoying the island as much as ever, but the average local is having to go to Florida, the Northeast or Texas to make it in life. Prior to Maria and the economic crises the last 15 years, many jobs were in government, just for the sake of keeping people employed. A lot of that has been lost due to austerity measures. It would be insane for me to try to go back there now to teach in a public school, but if you´re into something like hotels, spas, real estate, bars, food trucks, etc. you can make it work.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2020, 08:59 PM
Status: "177th Anniversary of Freedom!" (set 3 days ago)
 
6,723 posts, read 9,453,368 times
Reputation: 5187
As an outsider you will become aware of this condition because people will remind you more often than you care. That is simply a fact. You will always be an outsider, it doesn't matter how long you lived in Puerto Rico, if the people accept you and make you feel at home, or if you begin to consider yourself a Puerto Rican. To be accepted as a true Puerto Rican, you have to be born into a genuine Puerto Rican family. There's no buts, maybe, exceptions about it.

Actual issues due to skin color are few and far between. Having said that, once I was at a family gathering and there were many Puerto Ricans there, some were/are spouses of family members and some of them brought certain members of their family and friends too. Others were simply close friend of family members. I have met several Puerto Ricans that mocked in a nice way when they asked me if I would date an African American (aka, black from the USA that is not Latino, European or African) and because I said yes, the reaction of disapproval was incredible. It was not a disapproval regarding dating blacks from Puerto Rico or Latin America in general, but specifically to African Americans (aka, genuine American blacks). In fact, the actual word that came out of his mouth was "diablo coño" (which in that context translate something to "I can't believe you actually said yes"). To be fair, a woman attempted to jump in my defense because I was so shocked at what I was seeing that I fronze and couldn't say anything back, and she claimed to the group that there are African Americans that are cute. I will never forget that moment, because at that time the "grown up" was probably in his late 20's or early 30's while I was a teen, probably 16. I wasn't even in the discussion group, just walking by on my way to the bathroom and when passed by that group was quickly stopped and asked that with the entire group focused on what I say.

Another time that comes to mind I was in my early 20's and I decided to spend most of the summer break from college in the USA. I took a side job for a couple of months that was basically a door-to-door sales job. Very interesting because of the different types of people and personalities that are met, which was the purpose of taking the job, at least for me. We were assigned a street that we would knock on every residence (house and apartment) there on a route (walk down the entire street on one sidewalk and then walk up on the other sidewalk, repeat it about 3 times during the day and keep track on a sheet which residence people bought/open the door and declined so one wouldn't knock on the same door again) for one week, then get a new street the following week. The places we went were many towns and cities, one week we could be given a street in the rough part of a city (the things I saw there was another story and open my eyes to the rough part of the USA, which until then I was sheltered about) and the following week we could be given a street in the richest part of a posh town where it was common to hear from the maid that the Mrs wasn't home, all while seeing the Mrs open the driveway gate and leave in her car; I kid you not. Well one time I was paired with a Korean-American guy, very cool guy to be with because he made the time fly due to his personality.

One time we knocked on a door and a Puerto Rican couple open. We weren't suppose to enter, but we were guys, that day was hotter and more humid than typical, the house had a nice central a/c with the coolness felt as soon as the door was open, and the couple looked like a nice people. That's one aspect that I have personally, which is that I can instantly meet a person and upon looking at them know their true intention and who they are. It is a feeling and very few am I wrong about it. The description some close friends have to told me is that they feel invincible in front of me because I can see right through them in an instant. Anyway, we went in the home and sat on the dining table with the couple sitting on the other side. Now, keep in mind that the entire time I didn't spoke a word of Spanish, so as far as they were concerned they were the only Hispanics in the room. At a certain point my Korean-American partner said as part of the small talk before you go directly with the sales pitch and he mention that he got a vibe from them that was similar to Dominicans. What was that for!!! They both made a very disapproving face and the wife clearly aggitated started to say that there was nothing similar with Dominicans and quickly the husband jumped in saying basically the same thing. My partner then mention that he thinks Dominican women are quite beautiful (based on his experience obviously) and the wife was clearly disapproving in body language. She then said in Spanish, thinking only she and her husband would understand, and said "con la cantidad de negros que se ven ahí, ¡ay no!" ("With the amount of blacks that is seen there, hell no"). At that point I made a sign to my partner to stop what he was doing, pack up, and we both leave immediately. I didn't said a word during the quickness of that encounter, but I was so embarrased because of that that is hard to put it into words. Afterwards, my partner then asked me what was wrong with them and what was that reaction about, but I played it off by telling him it was just a rivalry and obviously they took part of it. He mention that there was a similar rivalry between Koreans and Japanese, and then left alone the topic and we never talk about it again. He never knew what she said in Spanish because I never told him. Needless to say, we didn't get a sale from them and if I have to never meet them or enter their house again, I'm perfectly fine with that!!

Now, I have plenty of similar stories of stuff that I have witness among Puerto Ricans on the island and those in the eastern US, but this by no means is the typical overwhelming feeling and reaction that at least I got and noticed by the many, many Puerto Ricans that I have met. Generally, my feelings about Puerto Ricans is a very positive one and if I notice others are treating them unfairly in person or discussing a topic which I know about due to experience and notice they are having a hard time putting things straight, I will and often had defended them. On top of that, there is a level of gratutide towards Puerto Ricans due to personal issues and will always give them the most respect and admiration. But, there is another side to them as a whole and if you spend enough time with them it will rear its head on a very sparce way. Just be aware of it and prepare yourself, because with time and meeting enough Puerto Ricans it will happen and you will be right in the middle of it all. Now I would just walk away from those situations and it could be due to what I already explained about getting along very well with Puerto Ricans, but you might react more confrontational about it.

The other thing that I have noticed through the years is that Newyoricans (Puerto Ricans native to mainland USA, especially NYC or Americans of Puerto Rican descent) are seen by many island Puerto Ricans as foreigners or not Puerto Rican. I never get involved with that because that is an issue among Puerto Ricans and they are the only ones that can deal with that, but I have noticed this. Not always, but enough people will have this belief to be noticeable.

Some, and this is usually reserved among Newyorican types, is the racial classification issue among Puerto Ricans. Its basically an issue between how it has been done in the USA and how it has been done in Puerto Rico, which is more similar to the rest of Hispanic Caribbeans including Venezuelans due to the Spanish heritage. I do find it ridiculous (don't kill the messenger, lol) when using DNA studies certain Puerto Ricans (or Newyoricans for the most part) will claim or make it seem that the Spanish/European heritage in average Puerto Ricans is smaller than it is, but the African heritage (which the highest average studies I've seen puts it at around 30% of the typical Puerto Rican DNA) is greater than it is. Usually this is done semantically by claiming, among other things, that Puerto Ricans have a major input from Africa in their DNA, but the same emphasis isn't done regarding the European ancestry, even though its very clear on paper and just looking at peoples faces that the European input is the overwhelmingly majority whichever way one wants to see it. Usually, when the African - European mixture is lets say 70 to 30 percentage points, the person will say that they have a little European mixture; but if it is a 30 to 70 percentage point they will say that they have a significant African mixture, even though in both cases the smallest input is 30%!!! I think that says it all. Puerto Ricans from the island usually don't care as much about DNA studies as seen in Newyoricans (which to be fair, most don't care either), but among those that do 30% is always some input, significant in some cases and some or small in another while it's the same 30% in both cases. This is something that jumps to anyone putting attention.

Puerto Ricans are nice people overall and they will make you feel comfortable and have a good time, that is guaranteed. However, from time to time there is another side (often times not from the same Puerto Rican) that will be apparent. Don't use it to judge them or make an idea or image of who they are, because it doesn't define Puerto Ricans as a whole. Just be aware that it does exist and it will rear its ugly head given enough time with Puerto Ricans. How you deal with that is up to you, but just be aware of it.

Last edited by AntonioR; 05-31-2020 at 09:55 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2020, 08:01 AM
 
Location: Pereira, Colombia
1,410 posts, read 2,342,807 times
Reputation: 1677
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
As an outsider you will become aware of this condition because people will remind you more often than you care. That is simply a fact. You will always be an outsider, it doesn't matter how long you lived in Puerto Rico, if the people accept you and make you feel at home, or if you begin to consider yourself a Puerto Rican. To be accepted as a true Puerto Rican, you have to be born into a genuine Puerto Rican family. There's no buts, maybe, exceptions about it.

Actual issues due to skin color are few and far between. Having said that, once I was at a family gathering and there were many Puerto Ricans there, some were/are spouses of family members and some of them brought certain members of their family and friends too. Others were simply close friend of family members. I have met several Puerto Ricans that mocked in a nice way when they asked me if I would date an African American (aka, black from the USA that is not Latino, European or African) and because I said yes, the reaction of disapproval was incredible. It was not a disapproval regarding dating blacks from Puerto Rico or Latin America in general, but specifically to African Americans (aka, genuine American blacks). In fact, the actual word that came out of his mouth was "diablo coño" (which in that context translate something to "I can't believe you actually said yes"). To be fair, a woman attempted to jump in my defense because I was so shocked at what I was seeing that I fronze and couldn't say anything back, and she claimed to the group that there are African Americans that are cute. I will never forget that moment, because at that time the "grown up" was probably in his late 20's or early 30's while I was a teen, probably 16. I wasn't even in the discussion group, just walking by on my way to the bathroom and when passed by that group was quickly stopped and asked that with the entire group focused on what I say.

Another time that comes to mind I was in my early 20's and I decided to spend most of the summer break from college in the USA. I took a side job for a couple of months that was basically a door-to-door sales job. Very interesting because of the different types of people and personalities that are met, which was the purpose of taking the job, at least for me. We were assigned a street that we would knock on every residence (house and apartment) there on a route (walk down the entire street on one sidewalk and then walk up on the other sidewalk, repeat it about 3 times during the day and keep track on a sheet which residence people bought/open the door and declined so one wouldn't knock on the same door again) for one week, then get a new street the following week. The places we went were many towns and cities, one week we could be given a street in the rough part of a city (the things I saw there was another story and open my eyes to the rough part of the USA, which until then I was sheltered about) and the following week we could be given a street in the richest part of a posh town where it was common to hear from the maid that the Mrs wasn't home, all while seeing the Mrs open the driveway gate and leave in her car; I kid you not. Well one time I was paired with a Korean-American guy, very cool guy to be with because he made the time fly due to his personality.

One time we knocked on a door and a Puerto Rican couple open. We weren't suppose to enter, but we were guys, that day was hotter and more humid than typical, the house had a nice central a/c with the coolness felt as soon as the door was open, and the couple looked like a nice people. That's one aspect that I have personally, which is that I can instantly meet a person and upon looking at them know their true intention and who they are. It is a feeling and very few am I wrong about it. The description some close friends have to told me is that they feel invincible in front of me because I can see right through them in an instant. Anyway, we went in the home and sat on the dining table with the couple sitting on the other side. Now, keep in mind that the entire time I didn't spoke a word of Spanish, so as far as they were concerned they were the only Hispanics in the room. At a certain point my Korean-American partner said as part of the small talk before you go directly with the sales pitch and he mention that he got a vibe from them that was similar to Dominicans. What was that for!!! They both made a very disapproving face and the wife clearly aggitated started to say that there was nothing similar with Dominicans and quickly the husband jumped in saying basically the same thing. My partner then mention that he thinks Dominican women are quite beautiful (based on his experience obviously) and the wife was clearly disapproving in body language. She then said in Spanish, thinking only she and her husband would understand, and said "con la cantidad de negros que se ven ahí, ¡ay no!" ("With the amount of blacks that is seen there, hell no"). At that point I made a sign to my partner to stop what he was doing, pack up, and we both leave immediately. I didn't said a word during the quickness of that encounter, but I was so embarrased because of that that is hard to put it into words. Afterwards, my partner then asked me what was wrong with them and what was that reaction about, but I played it off by telling him it was just a rivalry and obviously they took part of it. He mention that there was a similar rivalry between Koreans and Japanese, and then left alone the topic and we never talk about it again. He never knew what she said in Spanish because I never told him. Needless to say, we didn't get a sale from them and if I have to never meet them or enter their house again, I'm perfectly fine with that!!

Now, I have plenty of similar stories of stuff that I have witness among Puerto Ricans on the island and those in the eastern US, but this by no means is the typical overwhelming feeling and reaction that at least I got and noticed by the many, many Puerto Ricans that I have met. Generally, my feelings about Puerto Ricans is a very positive one and if I notice others are treating them unfairly in person or discussing a topic which I know about due to experience and notice they are having a hard time putting things straight, I will and often had defended them. On top of that, there is a level of gratutide towards Puerto Ricans due to personal issues and will always give them the most respect and admiration. But, there is another side to them as a whole and if you spend enough time with them it will rear its head on a very sparce way. Just be aware of it and prepare yourself, because with time and meeting enough Puerto Ricans it will happen and you will be right in the middle of it all. Now I would just walk away from those situations and it could be due to what I already explained about getting along very well with Puerto Ricans, but you might react more confrontational about it.

The other thing that I have noticed through the years is that Newyoricans (Puerto Ricans native to mainland USA, especially NYC or Americans of Puerto Rican descent) are seen by many island Puerto Ricans as foreigners or not Puerto Rican. I never get involved with that because that is an issue among Puerto Ricans and they are the only ones that can deal with that, but I have noticed this. Not always, but enough people will have this belief to be noticeable.

Some, and this is usually reserved among Newyorican types, is the racial classification issue among Puerto Ricans. Its basically an issue between how it has been done in the USA and how it has been done in Puerto Rico, which is more similar to the rest of Hispanic Caribbeans including Venezuelans due to the Spanish heritage. I do find it ridiculous (don't kill the messenger, lol) when using DNA studies certain Puerto Ricans (or Newyoricans for the most part) will claim or make it seem that the Spanish/European heritage in average Puerto Ricans is smaller than it is, but the African heritage (which the highest average studies I've seen puts it at around 30% of the typical Puerto Rican DNA) is greater than it is. Usually this is done semantically by claiming, among other things, that Puerto Ricans have a major input from Africa in their DNA, but the same emphasis isn't done regarding the European ancestry, even though its very clear on paper and just looking at peoples faces that the European input is the overwhelmingly majority whichever way one wants to see it. Usually, when the African - European mixture is lets say 70 to 30 percentage points, the person will say that they have a little European mixture; but if it is a 30 to 70 percentage point they will say that they have a significant African mixture, even though in both cases the smallest input is 30%!!! I think that says it all. Puerto Ricans from the island usually don't care as much about DNA studies as seen in Newyoricans (which to be fair, most don't care either), but among those that do 30% is always some input, significant in some cases and some or small in another while it's the same 30% in both cases. This is something that jumps to anyone putting attention.

Puerto Ricans are nice people overall and they will make you feel comfortable and have a good time, that is guaranteed. However, from time to time there is another side (often times not from the same Puerto Rican) that will be apparent. Don't use it to judge them or make an idea or image of who they are, because it doesn't define Puerto Ricans as a whole. Just be aware that it does exist and it will rear its ugly head given enough time with Puerto Ricans. How you deal with that is up to you, but just be aware of it.
That´s all interesting stuff. I heard some ugly comments like that, but I never had any AA tell me that they felt it necessarily...sounds contradictory I know...

While my 7 years in Colombia have been much more fruitful than the 2 I spent on the island, it was actually much easier to fit in to Puerto Rican society. It has everything to do with its links to the US, circulation migration patterns of its population, and the fact that it´s just generally more cosmopolitan. People don´t act "weird" around gringos. It´s a relatively attractive option for some Latin American immigrants.

I don´t want to downplay what you said, because I know things like that can happen, but a lot of that "you´ll always be an outsider", etc is way worse in other places. It´s the reality in most societies that aren´t inundated with hundreds of years of diverse immigration and only deal with small numbers of people from better off places coming to them, rather than vice versa.

I wish our OP the very best, and hope that it goes well. If she makes it there, it´ll be interesting to know what she experiences after a year or two (that´s the minimum time needed to wrap your head around a place I think).
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2020, 11:10 AM
 
1,703 posts, read 887,579 times
Reputation: 1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
As an outsider you will become aware of this condition because people will remind you more often than you care. That is simply a fact. You will always be an outsider, it doesn't matter how long you lived in Puerto Rico, if the people accept you and make you feel at home, or if you begin to consider yourself a Puerto Rican. To be accepted as a true Puerto Rican, you have to be born into a genuine Puerto Rican family. There's no buts, maybe, exceptions about it.

Actual issues due to skin color are few and far between. Having said that, once I was at a family gathering and there were many Puerto Ricans there, some were/are spouses of family members and some of them brought certain members of their family and friends too. Others were simply close friend of family members. I have met several Puerto Ricans that mocked in a nice way when they asked me if I would date an African American (aka, black from the USA that is not Latino, European or African) and because I said yes, the reaction of disapproval was incredible. It was not a disapproval regarding dating blacks from Puerto Rico or Latin America in general, but specifically to African Americans (aka, genuine American blacks). In fact, the actual word that came out of his mouth was "diablo coño" (which in that context translate something to "I can't believe you actually said yes"). To be fair, a woman attempted to jump in my defense because I was so shocked at what I was seeing that I fronze and couldn't say anything back, and she claimed to the group that there are African Americans that are cute. I will never forget that moment, because at that time the "grown up" was probably in his late 20's or early 30's while I was a teen, probably 16. I wasn't even in the discussion group, just walking by on my way to the bathroom and when passed by that group was quickly stopped and asked that with the entire group focused on what I say.

Another time that comes to mind I was in my early 20's and I decided to spend most of the summer break from college in the USA. I took a side job for a couple of months that was basically a door-to-door sales job. Very interesting because of the different types of people and personalities that are met, which was the purpose of taking the job, at least for me. We were assigned a street that we would knock on every residence (house and apartment) there on a route (walk down the entire street on one sidewalk and then walk up on the other sidewalk, repeat it about 3 times during the day and keep track on a sheet which residence people bought/open the door and declined so one wouldn't knock on the same door again) for one week, then get a new street the following week. The places we went were many towns and cities, one week we could be given a street in the rough part of a city (the things I saw there was another story and open my eyes to the rough part of the USA, which until then I was sheltered about) and the following week we could be given a street in the richest part of a posh town where it was common to hear from the maid that the Mrs wasn't home, all while seeing the Mrs open the driveway gate and leave in her car; I kid you not. Well one time I was paired with a Korean-American guy, very cool guy to be with because he made the time fly due to his personality.

One time we knocked on a door and a Puerto Rican couple open. We weren't suppose to enter, but we were guys, that day was hotter and more humid than typical, the house had a nice central a/c with the coolness felt as soon as the door was open, and the couple looked like a nice people. That's one aspect that I have personally, which is that I can instantly meet a person and upon looking at them know their true intention and who they are. It is a feeling and very few am I wrong about it. The description some close friends have to told me is that they feel invincible in front of me because I can see right through them in an instant. Anyway, we went in the home and sat on the dining table with the couple sitting on the other side. Now, keep in mind that the entire time I didn't spoke a word of Spanish, so as far as they were concerned they were the only Hispanics in the room. At a certain point my Korean-American partner said as part of the small talk before you go directly with the sales pitch and he mention that he got a vibe from them that was similar to Dominicans. What was that for!!! They both made a very disapproving face and the wife clearly aggitated started to say that there was nothing similar with Dominicans and quickly the husband jumped in saying basically the same thing. My partner then mention that he thinks Dominican women are quite beautiful (based on his experience obviously) and the wife was clearly disapproving in body language. She then said in Spanish, thinking only she and her husband would understand, and said "con la cantidad de negros que se ven ahí, ¡ay no!" ("With the amount of blacks that is seen there, hell no"). At that point I made a sign to my partner to stop what he was doing, pack up, and we both leave immediately. I didn't said a word during the quickness of that encounter, but I was so embarrased because of that that is hard to put it into words. Afterwards, my partner then asked me what was wrong with them and what was that reaction about, but I played it off by telling him it was just a rivalry and obviously they took part of it. He mention that there was a similar rivalry between Koreans and Japanese, and then left alone the topic and we never talk about it again. He never knew what she said in Spanish because I never told him. Needless to say, we didn't get a sale from them and if I have to never meet them or enter their house again, I'm perfectly fine with that!!

Now, I have plenty of similar stories of stuff that I have witness among Puerto Ricans on the island and those in the eastern US, but this by no means is the typical overwhelming feeling and reaction that at least I got and noticed by the many, many Puerto Ricans that I have met. Generally, my feelings about Puerto Ricans is a very positive one and if I notice others are treating them unfairly in person or discussing a topic which I know about due to experience and notice they are having a hard time putting things straight, I will and often had defended them. On top of that, there is a level of gratutide towards Puerto Ricans due to personal issues and will always give them the most respect and admiration. But, there is another side to them as a whole and if you spend enough time with them it will rear its head on a very sparce way. Just be aware of it and prepare yourself, because with time and meeting enough Puerto Ricans it will happen and you will be right in the middle of it all. Now I would just walk away from those situations and it could be due to what I already explained about getting along very well with Puerto Ricans, but you might react more confrontational about it.

The other thing that I have noticed through the years is that Newyoricans (Puerto Ricans native to mainland USA, especially NYC or Americans of Puerto Rican descent) are seen by many island Puerto Ricans as foreigners or not Puerto Rican. I never get involved with that because that is an issue among Puerto Ricans and they are the only ones that can deal with that, but I have noticed this. Not always, but enough people will have this belief to be noticeable.

Some, and this is usually reserved among Newyorican types, is the racial classification issue among Puerto Ricans. Its basically an issue between how it has been done in the USA and how it has been done in Puerto Rico, which is more similar to the rest of Hispanic Caribbeans including Venezuelans due to the Spanish heritage. I do find it ridiculous (don't kill the messenger, lol) when using DNA studies certain Puerto Ricans (or Newyoricans for the most part) will claim or make it seem that the Spanish/European heritage in average Puerto Ricans is smaller than it is, but the African heritage (which the highest average studies I've seen puts it at around 30% of the typical Puerto Rican DNA) is greater than it is. Usually this is done semantically by claiming, among other things, that Puerto Ricans have a major input from Africa in their DNA, but the same emphasis isn't done regarding the European ancestry, even though its very clear on paper and just looking at peoples faces that the European input is the overwhelmingly majority whichever way one wants to see it. Usually, when the African - European mixture is lets say 70 to 30 percentage points, the person will say that they have a little European mixture; but if it is a 30 to 70 percentage point they will say that they have a significant African mixture, even though in both cases the smallest input is 30%!!! I think that says it all. Puerto Ricans from the island usually don't care as much about DNA studies as seen in Newyoricans (which to be fair, most don't care either), but among those that do 30% is always some input, significant in some cases and some or small in another while it's the same 30% in both cases. This is something that jumps to anyone putting attention.

Puerto Ricans are nice people overall and they will make you feel comfortable and have a good time, that is guaranteed. However, from time to time there is another side (often times not from the same Puerto Rican) that will be apparent. Don't use it to judge them or make an idea or image of who they are, because it doesn't define Puerto Ricans as a whole. Just be aware that it does exist and it will rear its ugly head given enough time with Puerto Ricans. How you deal with that is up to you, but just be aware of it.
Thank you but this is not exclusive to Puerto Ricans. A lot of mainlanders feel this way about us.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2020, 11:12 AM
 
1,703 posts, read 887,579 times
Reputation: 1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
That´s all interesting stuff. I heard some ugly comments like that, but I never had any AA tell me that they felt it necessarily...sounds contradictory I know...

While my 7 years in Colombia have been much more fruitful than the 2 I spent on the island, it was actually much easier to fit in to Puerto Rican society. It has everything to do with its links to the US, circulation migration patterns of its population, and the fact that it´s just generally more cosmopolitan. People don´t act "weird" around gringos. It´s a relatively attractive option for some Latin American immigrants.

I don´t want to downplay what you said, because I know things like that can happen, but a lot of that "you´ll always be an outsider", etc is way worse in other places. It´s the reality in most societies that aren´t inundated with hundreds of years of diverse immigration and only deal with small numbers of people from better off places coming to them, rather than vice versa.

I wish our OP the very best, and hope that it goes well. If she makes it there, it´ll be interesting to know what she experiences after a year or two (that´s the minimum time needed to wrap your head around a place I think).
Thanks for assisting me and pointing me in the right direction. I'm going visit first and will update you soon after.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top