U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 09:01 PM

3 posts, read 1,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Don't give the complainers a greater weight than they deserve on your decision. Remember that complainers have a habit of being the most vocal of the bunch and they seem to come out in droves online. PR isn't the only place with these types. They need to vent their frustrations and online offers the perfect opportunity to do that. Meanwhile, plenty of people happy with their decision to move somewhere else are too busy living their lives to be spreading their complaints online. If anything, the complainers serve a purpose for the people with better experience, who tend to be most of the movers, and that is that they scare many would be movers. The end result is that they help keep a sort of secret that way, as people get an overall wrong impression of the lifestyle they could have in a place and instead they go by what the complainers say. Everything the complainers say isn't incorrect, but much is nothing more than exaggerations.

Quite frankly, to those are also added people that love to complain. There's not much to do about that, because even when they can move somewhere else, they choose not to despite constantly complaining about the place. Sometimes its a mystery. It turns out that they aren't unhappy of the place and that is why they never move away, but they love to complain about it. They get a psychological "kick" from doing just that and moreso if they can see the reactions in others.
Ah yes, I suppose it wasn’t clear in my post but I’m definitely not putting any stock in the “complain-y” responses.

And yes, the complaining personality type is truly a remarkable thing. I have a coworker who is maybe the most negative person I’ve ever met (often hilarious, though) & he was dissing my neighborhood (which I love and is a pretty universally loved neighborhood in my area) because parts of it are in a floodplain (?) and I asked where he lives, turns out it’s in another well-known neighborhood I’ve considered living in myself so I expressed that I really liked that neighborhood and he was like “pfff. Yeah, it’s... something, I guess.” Lol it seemed like he couldn’t even bring himself to have a positive thought
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2020, 11:50 PM

17,727 posts, read 8,068,035 times
I graduated HS in PR. My Dad had taken a job transfer there. Before he did so, my parents would take a yearly vacation to the Island in February. Leaving the cold winter weather for the warm weather and warm ocean in PR, it's hard to not fall in love with the place. My Dad was born on the Island but raised in NYC, thus there were a lot of relatives on his side of the family that still lived on the Island. They tried to warn my parents about the disadvantages of living there but my parents laughed it off. Finally, they took us kids on one of their yearly vacations and as kids...well...what's not to like?

After we moved, my parents soon discovered that vacationing there and living there are 2 different things---as the poster upthread mentioned. My mother refused to adjust to life there and was miserable. As for us kids, we went to a great HS. I was actually sad when graduation came along.

I would have loved to have stayed on the Island but I realized that finding a job there was very difficult. Plus, my Dad never spoke Spanish to us kids so, try as I might, I never got fully fluent. That would have held me back when searching for work. Not to mention that when we were there, anti-English sentiment was rampant.

My parents ended up going back stateside after living there for 4 years. I ended up going to college stateside.

Every time I visit, PR has a way of tugging at my heart when it is time to go home. It's a beautiful Island and I have fond memories of my school days there. My last visit was to attend a HS reunion.

OP---If you are able to roll with the punches, then you might find it easier to live there than others might.

Old 07-22-2020, 07:27 AM

11,268 posts, read 15,132,816 times
Kinda f’d up that their president is our president but they cant vote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories