U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 12:57 PM

Location: ho said they lost a customer because they wanna defund the police I wanna know who you are, and much
125 posts, read 92,859 times

Advertisements

America Samoa and Northern Mariana aka Saipan or that is one of the islands or cities there, if they had an extra island for cheap and you and some friends or colleagues pitched in would you do it? Let’s say opportunity for a seafood industry arose there, or some kind of delicious water from the sea in which you would extract the salt from the water, or a coconut industry. People tend to move out of those places but some move too and enjoy the scenery and lifestyle.

It may be rude to barge in if you are not Polynesian/Islander at all, but you could have your own territory and mingle with the natives.

We can also give back to them.

Even if this idea is silly has anyone here been to Samoa or those islands nearby especially those that are US turf?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2020, 01:06 PM

8,981 posts, read 5,067,109 times
I've never been to anywhere in the South Pacific. (I've been to Hawaii, but that's North Pacific.) I don't want to live in the tropics because I like seasonal change, and I don't want to live on a small island because I would find it too confining. Furthermore, I've heard some negative things about life on Saipan (corruption, nepotism, no work ethic, etc.) that would further dissuade me from living there.

The only thing that might make it worthwhile to take control of an unoccupied island would be if the island were large enough, and had enough natural beauty, that it could become successful as a tourism resort. Then it might make it worthwhile to be the one to develop it and operate it.

But otherwise, no.

Old 09-21-2020, 02:15 PM

6,112 posts, read 2,622,181 times
Vist, yes. Live, no. Too isolated and would get tired of the lack of seasons.

Old 09-21-2020, 07:03 PM

Location: ho said they lost a customer because they wanna defund the police I wanna know who you are, and much
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I've never been to anywhere in the South Pacific. (I've been to Hawaii, but that's North Pacific.) I don't want to live in the tropics because I like seasonal change, and I don't want to live on a small island because I would find it too confining. Furthermore, I've heard some negative things about life on Saipan (corruption, nepotism, no work ethic, etc.) that would further dissuade me from living there.

The only thing that might make it worthwhile to take control of an unoccupied island would be if the island were large enough, and had enough natural beauty, that it could become successful as a tourism resort. Then it might make it worthwhile to be the one to develop it and operate it.

But otherwise, no.
You are right it could become boring but who wouldn’t wanna live in a town called Pago Pago?

Old 09-21-2020, 10:07 PM

8,981 posts, read 5,067,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTapedToCokeMachine View Post
You are right it could become boring but who wouldn’t wanna live in a town called Pago Pago?
Not me. They'd kick me out because I'd insist on pronouncing it PAY-go PAY-go, because that's how they spelled it, instead of PANG-go PANG-go.

Old 09-21-2020, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Not me. They'd kick me out because I'd insist on pronouncing it PAY-go PAY-go, because that's how they spelled it, instead of PANG-go PANG-go.
I really thought it would be pronounced more like Pah-go not Pay-go but ofc Pango makes sense as a lot of languages do that with silent letters.

Pango Pango sounds like a fun shindig type thing

Old 09-23-2020, 06:28 PM
mym

632 posts, read 911,167 times
small islands get boring quick

Old 09-23-2020, 07:24 PM

6,723 posts, read 9,450,580 times
Chances are very high I wouldn't move there. It has nothing to do with American Samoa and everything to do with the fact that I will never live anywhere away from the shores of the Western Hemisphere.

Having said that, I heard very wonderful things of Samoa. The husband of an aunt (she was adopted by my grandparents and gave her an upbringing along with my father and the rest of the legitimate offsprings, hence we consider her one more aunt) went to Samoa as he was a contestant at a reality TV show that took place there. Based on that, I definitely want to visit Samoa, but I will never live there for reasons already said here.

Old 09-24-2020, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Chances are very high I wouldn't move there. It has nothing to do with American Samoa and everything to do with the fact that I will never live anywhere away from the shores of the Western Hemisphere.

Having said that, I heard very wonderful things of Samoa. The husband of an aunt (she was adopted by my grandparents and gave her an upbringing along with my father and the rest of the legitimate offsprings, hence we consider her one more aunt) went to Samoa as he was a contestant at a reality TV show that took place there. Based on that, I definitely want to visit Samoa, but I will never live there for reasons already said here.
You wouldn’t know until you’ve visited.

I would rather live on these islands than probably a bad apartment complex in the hood with a crap job, or in the middle of a desert in California or Florida or any state really. I’d rather just stay here but the island life sounds pleasant. It may be intrusive as a non Polynesian or island local to just barge in though.

Old 09-24-2020, 06:59 PM

6,669 posts, read 4,468,388 times
The phrase” island fever “ crops up a lot when discussing so called tropical paradises. I recall even in Oahu some old timers who came from the mainland called it the “rock”. Small island and you’ve seen everything worth seeing and it gets old. You can’t just hop in the car and drive back to the states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories