U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 03:03 PM

1,316 posts, read 435,972 times

Advertisements

Istanbul,Turkey,your green back would go a long way.
Istanbul is the old Constantinople,there is a lot of history there !
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2020, 03:15 PM

2,385 posts, read 657,338 times
Last I checked mainlanders weren't allowed into PR

What?! Of course you are. But you must supply proof of a negative test, at least that was two weeks ago...

Old 10-27-2020, 05:02 PM

471 posts, read 126,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
What was it like being stationed there?

Great. I went to work and stay on base off time with my buddies and go off base in the city once in a while and comeback to the base not dealing with what the regular Panamanians have to deal with. It was great because I was paid by Uncle Sam (American Salary) and was under the full protection of the U.S. and security in the base. I speak Spanish so I had fun off base. I like the Latin culture. Their system is another story.

Old 10-27-2020, 08:03 PM

1,712 posts, read 875,569 times
Thumbs up Sasie123

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjuanstar View Post
i never lived in tonga. You should live there.i would choose a place for you that i have never been from the couch in my house. It looks so nice watching hgtv "building off the grid".yeah, that makes sense. Lol.

I was stationed in panama. Living there is not the same thing as being in the military on base or a tourist in the comfort and protection of hotels. Living in the real panama is different than a state or u.s. Territory. You have to deal with the local politicians, laws and police that are super corrupt. They make puerto rican police look like disney land security.

Local purchasing power is 110% higher in puerto rico than panama. If you know about economics you will know what that is. It's the financial ability to buy products and services and goes hand in hand with salaries which puerto rico is 145% higher in average wages than panama. Buying property or renting is more expensive in panama. Since the wages are way lower in panama that makes their food and local services cheaper. It's great as a tourist bringing the american dollar over there but not good if you have to work there or your family because its a few steps down where you come from.

The cdc recommends americans going to panama take vaccinations for: Hepatitis a, hepatitis b, typhoid, yellow fever, rabies, meningitis, polio, measles, mumps and rubella (mmr), tdap (tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis), chickenpox, shingles, pneumonia and influenza.

If you are going to be in private communities and private schools then you have spend money in both places but remember, puerto rico is under the full jurisdiction and protection of the u.s., panama isn't. I want to be in a place that my property and investments are protected and not from one revolution away of losing it all. Hurricanes in pr are pretty rare and category 4-5 and even rarer. A hurricane passes in the vicinity of the island, on average, every 11 years. Only 2 category 5 hurricane has struck the island since 1851 and it was 1928 and in 2017 (once in a lifetime and the last one was 3 years ago, so you are safe for around the next 85 years or so). Also, there are areas in puerto rico, like the central mountain regions that essentially don’t need to worry about the hurricanes.
san juan star: Excellent advise.....

Old 10-30-2020, 06:30 PM

6,805 posts, read 9,562,769 times
Lets see... The OP wants to live outside the US states for one year, works remotely, and is looking for an experience living outside the US. In considerations are Puerto Rico and Panama.

Either of the two places would give a "one year" "experience living outside the US," but there is more Americanisms in Puerto Rico than in Panama.

The working situation is irrelevant in both places since the main breadwinner will not be employed by the local economy. All that is needed is a reliable fast internet and both places offer that. In Panama it's more patchy than in Puerto Rico, but once you figure out where the fast internet connections are available and settle in one of those areas, that internet is slow out in the middle of nowhere is basically irrelevant. Claro is a telecommunications company based in Mexico City and present in just about everywhere in Latin America, even in Puerto Rico. They tend to be one of the main ones in each country. I say go to their website for their Panama business and see where things such as fiber optics are offered. That should be a start for pinning down the places worth moving to considering that fast internet is a basic requirement.

If Hurricane Maria is the reason that you are worried about hurricanes in Puerto Rico, such ferocious storms aren't very common. Before Maria the strongest hurricane to hit Puerto Rico was Hurricane Georges and that was in 1998. Between that and Maria there were other hurricanes and tropical storms in Puerto Rico, but damage was minimal, which should be a tell tale sign of the intensities of these storms. While anyone in Puerto Rico should have hurricanes in mind, I think its greatly overblown (no pun intended).

Yet, Panama gets the exact figure of 0 hurricanes. It does rain alot during rainy season and there are more cloudy days during that time in Panama than in Puerto Rico.

I would choose Panama simply because you are looking for an experience living outside the US for one year and Panama offers that slightly more than Puerto Rico. The Spanish spoken in Panama has less English words than the one in Puerto Rico, and you did mention immersion into Spanish for the sake of improving the language. Plenty of US citizens live in Panama outside the Canal Zone, so its not as if you're going to Nicaragua where you will be a pioneer of sorts. Panama is also very stable politically and its one of the better economies in Latin America. There are top notch hospitals in Panama City.

Panama City is also a transportation hub for Latin America, because its airport is the base of Copa Airlines. They fly to just about everywhere major in the Western Hemisphere. Its very convenient if your family gets the itch to spend a weekend in Lima and some other weekend in Mexico City or maybe even in San Juan, PR.

Panama City is one of the major destinations for shopping in Latin America, because things are cheap compared to other places in the region. Albrook Mall is huge. Heck, the airport itself feels like a mall. lol

Last edited by AntonioR; 10-30-2020 at 06:39 PM..

Old 10-30-2020, 07:12 PM

Why not visit both places and scout the area yourself? Coming to a forum for others to choose for you it's like asking what is everybody's favorite ice cream flavor in Baskin-Robbins.

I disagree, you can have an experience outside of the U.S. in Puerto Rico just not in San Juan or Guaynabo. You go to Central and West Puerto Rico and that's another culture.

If Panama is 110% lower in purchasing power than Puerto Rico, how is Panama better for shopping? Do you understand in economic terms what purchasing power is? The higher purchasing power in a place the more goods and services you can buy. Puerto Rico average salary is 145% higher than Panama and they get federal funds for health services from the United States. How does Panama has better hospitals or services? Where do they get the money to have a better system? If people make less money and have less purchasing power how can they have better services and buy more goods?

Old 10-30-2020, 07:54 PM

OP is also looking for her kids to gain some experience living abroad,I would stay away from Puerto Rico.

Old 10-30-2020, 09:24 PM

Puerto Rico is not a state and the majority of the residents in Puerto Rico are Puerto Ricans not Americans. The main language is SPANISH especially outside of San Juan. The Puerto Rican culture and food is nothing like anything in the U.S. especially white America.

Puerto Rico has a 400 year history that is not Anglo. So you lost me that her kids won't experience living abroad in P.R. Just learning about the Tainos and Spanish history and culture in the island is something they don't get in the states. Each town is different. Even Vieques, which is a tiny island away from mainland P.R. is different from the other towns. People in San German and Cabo Rojo are totally different than San Juan and the people in the Central Mountains are way different than the folks down in the valley or the coasts.

Since P.R. is a U.S. Territory and protected by the U.S. for over 1 century, the Puerto Rican people are more open to Anglos than Panama. If you think you can move to P.R. and pretend it will be like New York, New Jersey, Florida, Georgia or Alaska then you have never been in the real Puerto Rico.

If you want your American kids to gain some experience living abroad, then go to the real Puerto Rico with the masses of people and not some fancy private community or private schools. Take them to Puerto Rico public schools where the majority in the classes are Puerto Ricans of low income and the teachers are natives from the island. That's a change from the teachers in the U.S.

It will be a culture shock for them at first and I wouldn't recommend it unless they are mentally prepared for the changes and challenges and have a good support from their parents. If you want them having the real experienced living abroad and they are mentally mature then go for it, if they are not, then don't. Because they will be the minority in both places and it could be harsh for a kid especially just for 1 year. When they finally get used to the place and culture (if they do) and make friends , you will move them out, which that faces issues for a kid. I wouldn't do it to minors. It's tough within the states imagine in a totally different system and culture and language and expect that children can absorb all that in 1 year. I'm an adult and it will be tough for me that change.

If you pray for rain you have to deal with the mud.

Last edited by SanJuanStar; 10-30-2020 at 09:42 PM..

Old 10-31-2020, 08:23 AM

very sound advice,OP may have reason why she wants her family to leave mainland and go places like PR or Panama,more than just an experience !
When your kids are ready to work,they would face stiff competition,not everyone will be hired by Google with a starting salary of $80k !
so either stay in good USA or go someplace better than PR or Panama.

Old 10-31-2020, 04:41 PM

6,805 posts, read 9,562,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
very sound advice,OP may have reason why she wants her family to leave mainland and go places like PR or Panama,more than just an experience !
When your kids are ready to work,they would face stiff competition,not everyone will be hired by Google with a starting salary of $80k !
so either stay in good USA or go someplace better than PR or Panama.
Someone missed the part where the OP said "for one year?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories