U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2020, 06:20 PM

589 posts, read 142,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Someone missed the part where the OP said "for one year?"

1 year is a long time. Different system, different language and different culture especially when you have children and they will be the minority. Living and being in a place as a tourist are 2 different things.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2020, 09:12 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,138,415 times
Quote:
Either of the two places would give a "one year" "experience living outside the US," but there is more Americanisms in Puerto Rico than in Panama.

I would choose Panama simply because you are looking for an experience living outside the US for one year and Panama offers that slightly more than Puerto Rico. The Spanish spoken in Panama has less English words than the one in Puerto Rico, and you did mention immersion into Spanish for the sake of improving the language.l
This is a MAJOR point, especially the bolded part.

Panamanian Spanish is a lot more neutral, clearer, and easy to understand/intelligible. Spanish will be easier to learn in Panama, and the Spanish you learn in Panama will also be much more easily understood by others than the dialect of Spanish spoken in Puerto Rico.

Old 11-04-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
I said and let me repeat myself. I was station in Panama. I was in the base under the full protection of the U.S.A. and under their jurisdiction. That is NOT living in the real Panama. Just like going to Panama as a tourist with the American dollar in private hotels. My friend went to Cuba and said it was great as a tourist but he won't move there to live under their system. I was trying to make a point about living there versus going there on a temporary basis as a tourist in private hotels and eating cheap because you are using the U.S. dollar.

I find the salaries in Puerto Rico a lot lower than the states but when P.R. average salary is 145% higher than Panama, I really doubt they have better government services. Where do they get the money to have the best government services in Latin America as you state?

Do you understand that not only Puerto Rico has higher salaries than Panama but they are under the social protections of the United States? You really want to go into details that Panama doesn't come anywhere near that? Do you want me to list the federal programs that Puerto Rico gets from the U.S. that Panama doesn't from education, health, business and housing and the rest of the federal aid they get?

When I move to a place I look for salaries, purchasing power, security, protection and the government services. Again, I'm talking about living not vacation or station in the military. I like Mexico as a tourist not to move my family there and take a pay cut and live under inferior government services.
Great points, in favor of Puerto Rico over Panama. If looking at Panama, one might as well just go next door to Costa Rica instead, for the reasons that you mentioned (Costa Rica is quite a bit more expensive, though).

Old 11-04-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
This is a MAJOR point, especially the bolded part.

Panamanian Spanish is a lot more neutral, clearer, and easy to understand/intelligible. Spanish will be easier to learn in Panama, and the Spanish you learn in Panama will also be much more easily understood by others than the dialect of Spanish spoken in Puerto Rico.
LMAO! What is this, the Spaniards only taught the Panamanians the true Spanish? They have no slang and they didn't mix with the natives or brought black slaves to Panama and made their own dialect?

A little history. Panama used to belong to the Gran Republic of Colombia. That consisted of Colombia, Venezuela, Panama and Ecuador and didn't break off until 1903. That means that region has over 400 years of history of Spanish mix with the locals and African slaves that create their own accent and slang.

The difference between the Spanish in Latin countries are the accent and slang. If you are around Puerto Ricans you will learn their style and slang, the same with Cubans. The same if you are in Panama, Nicaragua, Costa Rica or even Argentina. All have their accents and dialect. Too say one is easier than the other one is hogwash and that is preference. There are excellent Spanish teachers in all of Latin America that will teach you the mother tongue and the grammar rules of Spanish which is a lot deeper than English by far. Spanish has more letters in the alphabet and accents in their words.

You put me in Mexico around Mexicans for a year or less, I will pick up quick their Spanish and their slang especially if I have to eat their food, watch their local tv and deal with them on a daily basis.

If you are in Puerto Rico and you want to communicate with the locals then you learn their slang and know what they mean if you are going to be in their country. The same if you are in Panama, Argentina or Mexico and the rest.

I never heard one is neutral over the other. Spaniards are laughing.

Old 11-04-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
LMAO! What is this, the Spaniards only taught the Panamanians the true Spanish? They have no slang and they didn't mix with the natives or brought black slaves to Panama and made their own dialect?

A little history. Panama used to belong to the Gran Republic of Colombia. That consisted of Colombia, Venezuela, Panama and Ecuador and didn't break off until 1903. That means that region has over 400 years of history of Spanish mix with the locals and African slaves that create their own accent and slang.

The difference between the Spanish in Latin countries are the accent and slang. If you are around Puerto Ricans you will learn their style and slang, the same with Cubans. The same if you are in Panama, Nicaragua, Costa Rica or even Argentina. All have their accents and dialect. Too say one is easier than the other one is hogwash and that is preference. There are excellent Spanish teachers in all of Latin America that will teach you the mother tongue and the grammar rules of Spanish which is a lot deeper than English by far. Spanish has more letters in the alphabet and accents in their words.

You put me in Mexico around Mexicans for a year or less, I will pick up quick their Spanish and their slang especially if I have to eat their food, watch their local tv and deal with them on a daily basis.

If you are in Puerto Rico and you want to communicate with the locals then you learn their slang and know what they mean if you are going to be in their country. The same if you are in Panama, Argentina or Mexico and the rest.

I never heard one is neutral over the other. Spaniards are laughing.
Your post is a huge rant full of 1.) facts that I already know but you assume I don't, and 2.) a bunch of BS that you are trying to pass off as facts because you assume that I don't know any better.

The fact is that it is WELL KNOWN that Puerto Rican Spanish is unique enough and different enough that it is considered by many non-Puerto Rican Spanish speakers to be one of the toughest dialects of Spanish to learn and understand. One thing I find is that Puerto Ricans don't have much trouble understanding Spanish speakers from most other countries, but a lot of Spanish speakers from many other countries tend to have a great deal of trouble understanding Puerto Ricans; of course every country has its own slang (DUH!!!), but slang is not the issue so much as the Puerto Rican accent and the way that Puerto Ricans tend to speak machine gun-fast, routinely drop endings off of words, jumble words together, and drop consonants resulting in vowels being blended together in Spanish words that normally don't omit consonants and blend vowels (For the record, I think DOMINICAN SPANISH is even MORE difficult when it comes to many of these same dialect characteristics).

It's nothing to get offended about, it just is what it is. For example, it would be like dropping an American or a Canadian off in the countryside of Jamaica or in the middle of Glasgow, Scotland; sure, it's "all English," but the dialect is going to be much harder for the average American or Canadian to follow and understand. It's nothing to get offended about just because you yourself speak Puerto Rican Spanish, and it's not saying that one type of Spanish is "better" than the other...it just is what it is!!!! And with that, I'm done. I've said my piece and I'm not going to waste my time going back and forth in circles with you.

https://youtu.be/USlh23jtZns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KApe...re=emb_rel_end

Last edited by Julio July; 11-04-2020 at 01:59 PM..

Old 11-04-2020, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
OP is also looking for her kids to gain some experience living abroad,I would stay away from Puerto Rico.
Agreed

Old 11-04-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Your post is a huge rant full of 1.) facts that I already know but you assume I don't, and 2.) a bunch of BS that you are trying to pass off as facts because you assume that I don't know any better.

The fact is that it is WELL KNOWN that Puerto Rican Spanish is unique enough and different enough that it is considered by many non-Puerto Rican Spanish speakers to be to be one of the toughest dialects of Spanish to learn and understand. One thing I find is that Puerto Ricans don't have much trouble understanding Spanish speakers from most other countries, but a lot of Spanish speakers from many other countries tend to have a great deal of trouble understanding Puerto Ricans; of course every country has its own slang (DUH!!!), but slang is not the issue so much as the Puerto Rican accent and the way that Puerto Ricans tend to speak machine gun-fast, routinely drop endings off of words, jumble words together, and drop consonants resulting in vowels being blended together in Spanish words that normally don't omit consonants and blend vowels (For the record, I think DOMINICAN SPANISH is even MORE difficult when it comes to many of these same dialect characteristics).

It's nothing to get offended about, it just is what it is. For example, it would be like dropping an American or a Canadian off in the countryside of Jamaica or in the middle of Glasgow, Scotland; sure, it's "all English," but the dialect is going to be much harder for the average American or Canadian to follow and understand. It's nothing to get offended about just because you yourself speak Puerto Rican Spanish, and it's not saying that one type of Spanish is "better" than the other...it just is what it is!!!! And with that, I'm done. I've said my piece and I'm not going to waste my time going back and forth in circles with you.

the Spanish spoken in Puerto Rico is one of the toughest dialects of Spanish to learn and understand?????? LMAO! First time I heard that and then you tell me I write a bunch of BS? LOL

Any Foreigner that goes to another country to learn the language will be tough, unless you are a Mormon missionary and they teach the language quick in 3 months to the country they will serve. They teach them the exact spoken Spanish they will go and it varies by the country. So if they can do it anybody can. Is not trying to write Korean.

I thought Castellano and the Spanish spoken in Spain was tough as an outsider.

I have spoken with other Latinos of all types in my life. I have held long conversations with them with no difficulty. Nobody looked at me like I'm talking to them in Chinese. The only time we stop and ask about a word was if we put a native slang in the conversation that they or I didn't understand.

Yes, Puerto Rican tend to speak fast like East Coast English and they tend to use the silent "r" as a short cut but is not any different than Mexican style which it sounds to me like they are singing or trying to extend the words longer.

I will bet you anything you can understand a lot better a Puerto Rican singing Salsa than a Mexican singing Ranchero or a Spaniard speaking Castellano. Even Panama loves Puerto Rican Salsa. I wonder why.

Last edited by SanJuanStar; 11-04-2020 at 08:54 PM..

Old 11-05-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
The fact is that it is WELL KNOWN that Puerto Rican Spanish is unique enough and different enough that it is considered by many non-Puerto Rican Spanish speakers to be one of the toughest dialects of Spanish to learn and understand. One thing I find is that Puerto Ricans don't have much trouble understanding Spanish speakers from most other countries, but a lot of Spanish speakers from many other countries tend to have a great deal of trouble understanding Puerto Ricans; of course every country has its own slang (DUH!!!), but slang is not the issue so much as the Puerto Rican accent and the way that Puerto Ricans tend to speak machine gun-fast, routinely drop endings off of words, jumble words together, and drop consonants resulting in vowels being blended together in Spanish words that normally don't omit consonants and blend vowels (For the record, I think DOMINICAN SPANISH is even MORE difficult when it comes to many of these same dialect characteristics).
Obviously you haven't heard Cubans speak. They speak machine gun-fast (your words) especially if they are emotional and Cubans tend to be more emotional when they speak than Puerto Ricans.

Latinos (especially from tropical hot weather places) are like Italians. Hot blooded and use their hands and fingers when they speak. They use accents in their words to make it strong. That's the opposite of Anglos.

I don't know what kind of Spanish you speak or believe is superior (indirectly) by your comments , Mexican, Venezuelan, Peruvian, Argentinian or even Spain (which to me is the hardest like going from American English to British English) but I'm still laughing at your comment of "Puerto Rican Spanish is one of the toughest dialects of Spanish to learn and understand" I never heard that in my 50 years speaking the language.

I have never heard an American vising Puerto Rico tell me "man, that Puerto Rican Spanish is hard to learn or understand, I will stick with Mexican Spanish or Venezuelan or Argentinian Spanish, they speak so clear and smooth and their slang are so easy to learn but you Puerto Ricans are hard to understand, I can't learn. By the way, can I have some Arroz con Pollo con amarillos with a Medalla, por favol"

Last edited by SanJuanStar; 11-05-2020 at 09:35 AM..

Old 11-05-2020, 01:52 PM

6,850 posts, read 9,608,545 times
SanJuanStar seems to have a problem with PR not being a better choice vs Panama for what the OP wants. PR itself is a great place and most people visiting have a good time whereever they go on the island. Its just thst on this particular subject compared to Panama and what the OP is looking for, Panama fits the bill much better than PR. There is really nothing to be offended about, IMO.

Old 11-05-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
SanJuanStar seems to have a problem with PR not being a better choice vs Panama for what the OP wants. PR itself is a great place and most people visiting have a good time whereever they go on the island. Its just thst on this particular subject compared to Panama and what the OP is looking for, Panama fits the bill much better than PR. There is really nothing to be offended about, IMO.

I'm here. You can talk to me directly. We are not in high school. I have no problem where a person goes (less people in the highways, the better for me) but if you are going to come to a Puerto Rico forum and ask questions to move there compare to another Latin country, I will give my 2 cents. Which I gave a long list why Puerto Rico would be a better fit. I was born and I have lived in Puerto Rico and I was stationed in Panama. Puerto Rico is a better fit for an American due to the fact that it has been a U.S. territory for over 1 century and they will get used to the system faster than Panama.

When you and the other poster say that the Spanish spoken in Panama is better to learn and to understand for an American compared to Puerto Rico, that is an opinion (bias one) and not a fact and I have to laugh. I can understand the other guy that learn his Spanish from another Latin country and he has a problem adapting to the Puerto Rican Spanish (maybe he talked to the Nuyoricans in New York and think that is the Spanish spoken in the island) but coming from you, a Puerto Rican saying that, well, I find than more funny. That's like saying the frijoles made in Panama tastes better there than "las habichuelas" made in Puerto Rico.

So anybody that has a different opinion and makes an argument to the things said here they have a "problem" and I'm "offended"? LMAO! I guess the other poster writes it and you repeat it. In Puerto Rico they call it "chismeando", that is how misinformation starts. I'm not offended or upset or anything. I will challenge any non-Puerto Rican that comes here and says outrages things about the culture with facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories