U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2021, 06:11 AM

16,102 posts, read 38,624,513 times

Advertisements

For the 'R' Pronounciation, I still didn't understand until I saw this....maybe interesting for others too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDhpgl99TW8
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2021, 10:27 PM

589 posts, read 142,477 times
I'm still laughing when some people say Puerto Rican Spanish is difficult. Is not, it's actually fun and easy to pick up when you live among them in the island. You learn Spanish in P.R. and you can have a basic conversation with other Latinos.

This guy sounds Nuyorican but he is 100% spot on how they speak in the island. Those words we used all the time growing up in the island and any foreigner that moved to the island picked up it up easy hanging with the crowd. It's call practice and repeating words in your daily life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hadmpy_h-TU

Old 03-22-2021, 07:05 AM

446 posts, read 364,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
because P.R. is USA and Panama and DR are not.
That's my point. Most American citizens looking to relocate to such places are looking for a way out of the ratonera. The more Puerto Rico is like home, the less likely they are to come.

Old 03-30-2021, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingrightalong... View Post
That's my point. Most American citizens looking to relocate to such places are looking for a way out of the ratonera. The more Puerto Rico is like home, the less likely they are to come.

but Puerto Rico is nothing like the states. Even NYC it's different. It's a U.S. territory under American protection but down there if you get out of the tourist zone in San Juan, it's a different world especially if you go to the middle or West of the island. The culture, the music, the food and how they speak Spanish is nothing like NYC, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia or even Utah.

Like I said, if you are not a millionaire wanting to exploit the cheap labor in Central or South America or invest, then P.R. is a better choice to make more money and still be under the U.S. full protection. When the average salary in P.R. is 60% more and 55% more purchasing power then to the average Joe, that's a difference and that's just Panama. In many other Latin Countries the difference is a lot more.

If you are an average Joe, those countries won't help you at all. They don't even want you. They want Americans with plenty of money to invest in their country or spend lots of the American dollars. There is no business guaranteed loans or any federal aid for anything. I don't blame them, their taxpayers shouldn't pay for foreigners coming to their country and be above their own citizens.

Outside of the safe zone and tourist areas, those Latino countries are totally different. I have gone to Mexico many times, the tourist area and the REAL Mexico and both are night and day. If you think dealing with our government, police and the rule of law was tough here, over there it makes us look like a paradise. Our Prisons are hotels here. Over there are actually gulags.

I want to live (not visit in the safe zone of hotels, that's not really living in the real country ) in a place that the U.S. Constitution and bill of rights applies to me 24/7. You don't get that in most of Latin countries. You want to take risks, go for it. I know too many stories of Americans getting in trouble especially with the Mexican police who are very crooked . Central and South America are the same.

Old Yesterday, 05:20 AM

128 posts, read 43,786 times
Panama, in a heartbeat.

Old Today, 01:11 PM

from my couch, even Haiti looks great at the 5 star resort.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories