U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 10:42 PM

453 posts, read 108,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
I find the picture quite metaphorical to the island's socio-political arc of the past 40 years.

Tell me about it. Where did all the millions go? They didn't have a crew to take out the weed breaking in the cement or power wash it. They can't even take care of the basic maintenance stuff but they are supposed to find other galaxies and life.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2020, 05:31 PM

20,659 posts, read 21,454,014 times
2videos of the collapse.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...cope-collapsed

Old 12-05-2020, 07:22 PM

4,530 posts, read 4,020,169 times
Yes, what happened to all that money given to supposedly maintain the telescope?

Non-first-world countries are not the same(obviously) as first-world countries and you get people lining their own pockets all the way down the food chain. Governments try to do something about it but it is built into the system.

Looking at the system here where I am, the government does do something but the problem is so large that they cannot hope to catch all but the biggest fish, and then people from first world countries who do not understand some of the finer details of running countries, complain of a draconian system. As in all systems, it is what it is and you try to work within what you have been given and gradually make it better. Nothing is perfect and the culture has been built up for hundreds or thousands of years. It is easy to sit back and criticize someone else for things while allowing similar stuff to go on under our noses.

I think it is a real shame the US does not have a plan for another one - and maybe they will soon. It is something which can help our human investigation of space and will also provide much needed income and expertise for the local economy as well as avoiding having to use the resources of other countries.

I am sure the scientific community needs as many different telescopes as it can get because there is only so much time available for other countries to use on these facilities so by using someone elses telescope you are always fighting for less resource than if it was your own. For example, the new Chinese one coming online in 2021 will be mainly used for Chinese scientists and only some time available for other countries. The loss of the Arecibo telescope gives the US scientists less resource to use.

Link

However, maybe the next telescope built will be on the moon away from local Earth radio interference and that will really help space exploration.

Old 12-05-2020, 10:16 PM

453 posts, read 108,752 times
Puerto Rico is funny and they made their bed and let them sleep in it. They find more outrages Trump and paper towels than the millions of dollars missing from the American taxpayers that was supposed to go to Arecibo. You had Jennifer Gonzalez, whose main political job is to go to Washington to get the most federal funds for P.R. that she declared back in 2019 that she got 12.3 million federal dollars for Arecibo. Where did the 12.3 million go and the rest of the funds? Anybody who paid attention to Arecibo (most didn't) in the last years knew it was being neglected badly.

You have the Puerto Rican media, which they are as bad as the U.S. (same American corporations running it) acting like they were shocked that the piece of metal (crap) came down. Some broadcasters starting crying (without tears) on air and acted like a death in the family. They made it sound that the whole thing fell on a school bus full of kids and killed everyone. A piece of outdated and neglected big metal technology (crap) fell down that killed or injured ZERO people and these people act like a Hurricane 5 split the island in two. I was just laughing on tv on these people who are alarmists.

You have people sad to the point of crying and outrage but nothing to the millions of dollars that We taxpayers paid to Puerto Rico for Arecibo and many other things that nobody knows where the money go.

If 1k is missing in my job, it better show up quick or a lot of heads are going to roll. Imagine 12.3 million dollars missing and that's just Arecibo. There are a lot more millions of dollars that adds to billions of dollars in the whole government in P.R. that are mismanaged/missing/stolen but Trump and the paper towels, that's the line. We can't come back from that. That's an insult to P.R. LOL

Old 12-08-2020, 11:29 AM

78 posts, read 130,951 times
Sad to see.

About six years ago I visited my parents in Condado. My family is from the mainland but my parents had taken to spending their winters in Puerto Rico.

One day we rented a car and drove out to the Arecibo telescope. Sure, we had all seen it on movies and TV, but in person it was really something to marvel at.

Also, while Condado and the San Juan area are nice, driving outside the city on the toll road, and then onto twisting mountain roads through the forest, past small farms and houses, I got to see the real beauty of the island, more so than the average tourist. Just a great experience.

Old 12-22-2020, 06:40 AM

6,731 posts, read 9,466,061 times
Ironically, China opens its radiotelescope to international scientists days after the self-destruction if the one in Arecibo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7-EMwxy9as

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zLbpufkKDQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories