U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2021, 01:00 PM

466 posts, read 142,843 times

Advertisements

As for Brazilian coffee, seek out Santos Bourbon.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2021, 02:34 PM

453 posts, read 106,529 times
Again, I'm not here to argue about your taste in coffee. You saying the Puerto Rican coffee at this stage is better than Colombian beans is a BOLD statement and outside of a few Puerto Ricans with the mentality of "Puerto Rico lo hace mejor" (Puerto Rico does it better) I have never heard people that drink coffee for life say that. Is not even in the top 10. I grew up in the island with Yaucono and is not even the same taste today since I was growing up and not even the same when my grandparents were alive.

The reason Puerto Rican coffee is not in high demand it's because is not in the level as the Colombians and others in quality and P.R. doesn't have an agriculture economy and whatever little they produce is local and expensive to run. If you are going to pray for rain you have to deal with the mud. These are the consequences from Operation Bootstrap and choosing to change Puerto Rico's economy from agriculture to manufacturing and bringing it up to U.S. standards over 60 years ago. Things change and old things in Puerto Rico will die and never comeback. It was all in the making and your talking is just that, wishful thinking.

Even if you bring a worker program , you still have to pay with U.S. Dollar and obey federal labor and environmental laws and pay taxes and all of their costs from public services and schools they and their families will be using here. Unless you want to go cheap labor and go illegal immigration and deal with the locals which they are not going to stand still and take it. Puerto Rico will always be at a disadvantage in the agriculture economy against bigger countries that have more land and more natural resources and is not expensive to run business and they still have the production in agriculture that Puerto Rico used to have 80 years and it has died by the decade to the sad state is today.

If you are going to make bold statements about coffee and downgrade Colombian beans which is regarded in the world as the best or top 3 (for sure) and say Puerto Rican is better than expect a push back. Your taste is your taste but leave it as that. That is like me saying, I like Mitsubishi cars (fine ,it's my personal opinion which car I like to drive) but then I will take it to another level with a bold statement and say Mitsubishi cars are better than German cars and get defensive when I get call on it from the people that really know about cars.

You say people are ignorant because they don't pay high prices to get Puerto Rican coffee which is not top 10 and they don't know the taste (secret recipe) which is another bold statement. Many Americans and foreigners have gone to Puerto Rico and tasted Puerto Rican coffee. The same coffee is brought to American cities full of Puerto Ricans, so is not like it's being kept secret like they have an embargo on Puerto Rican products. The fact is, is not as good as the others in quality in the market, can't compete with prices or access. The only people that are willing to pay extra money for Puerto Rican coffee outside of P.R. , are Puerto Rican themselves and it's more about culture and tradition and their way of contributing back to the island. I have never heard one Latino from all countries that I met tell me Colombian is inferior to Puerto Rican coffee. I heard with Rum, Never with coffee. That says it all.

Last thing, the Jones Act only says that if you are going to transport by air, land or sea between 2 points in the same nation you have to use domestic transportation (All countries have that). It has nothing to do in transporting directly to Latin American or the rest of the world. That's just another wishful thinking in the island. I heard it many times "Only if we takeout the Jones Act and be our own bosses, we could be a powerhouse in exporting our products "(the little they still make) "if we takeout Uncle Sam out of the way, we could be like Puerto Rico 100 years ago". "If we take Trump out of the way, Puerto Rico will be a powerhouse in agriculture" LOL.....More wishful thinking.

Old 01-04-2021, 07:11 PM

453 posts, read 106,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
As for Brazilian coffee, seek out Santos Bourbon.
It's very good. Top Brazilian coffee ( opinion of many) great reviews. Brazil and Colombia are the 2 top countries in the world producers of Arabica beans. Vietnam is #2 overall but they produce Robusta beans so it's between Brazil and Colombia. Colombia has a better terroir for growing specialty coffee. 100% of the production is with Arabica beans. More volcanic soil and higher altitudes than Brazil make this possible. Brazil produces about 70-80% Arabica coffee.

Colombia and Brazil also have many different varieties of Arabica coffee. In Colombia, the commonly grown ones consist of Typica, Caturra, Bourbon, Gesha, Colombia, and Castillo. Brazil also has the Bourbon variety, with Red and Yellow Bourbon being very popular among Brazilian farmers. Catuaí, Catucaí, and Mundo Novo are also quite common.

it's all about the processing. The washed process seems much more common in Colombia. The Brazilian farmers use more of a natural processed coffees. With washed coffees, the cherries are depulped and the seeds are put in fermentation tanks of water before having all the mucilage washed off prior to drying. With natural coffees, the cherries are left on the seeds to dry. No washing is performed. Both great coffees in my opinion and get great reviews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories