U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-30-2021, 12:42 AM
 
10,320 posts, read 8,600,671 times
Reputation: 5311

Advertisements

I doubt it because it is part of America, and they use American Dollars.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-30-2021, 12:46 AM
 
Location: Brackenwood
6,442 posts, read 2,588,039 times
Reputation: 13989
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveandpeacewillrule View Post
According to the Filipino people, they are against their country being a territory or even a state of the US
Is there some risk of this happening any time soon? Is there US Marine beach landing force amassing off the Philippine shore or something?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2021, 02:04 AM
 
3 posts, read 1,597 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Is there some risk of this happening any time soon?
No. But there was this hypothetical thread and that's where I based my question on.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2021, 02:06 AM
 
Location: Brackenwood
6,442 posts, read 2,588,039 times
Reputation: 13989
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveandpeacewillrule View Post
No. But there was this hypothetical thread and that's where I based my question on.
Oh, OK. Well, here's an equally conceivable hypothetical: If cheese were a screwdriver, would I drive a Honda?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2021, 01:12 PM
 
453 posts, read 114,613 times
Reputation: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
. They may be better off than the Phillipines, but it's not like they have a lot to brag about.

Really? let's cut your salary by 80%, takeaway your individual rights and property rights, take away your U.S. citizenship and put dog and cat meat in your menu to survive and comeback here and tell us again that is not that much of a difference. Just cutting your salary by 80% alone would be enough to turn your life into crap.


If you get a 80% pay raise, get 40% discount cut in gasoline and get 50% cut in your interest rates on your loans, you would be bragging! How much is your U.S. Citizenship worth? Put a price. I say it's priceless because you wouldn't trade it for a Filipino one.


Puerto Ricans have plenty of reasons to brag about. Get out of your bubble, so you see what people outside of mainland U.S. live and see things. It's a sad state that millions of cats and dogs are slaughtered every year in a country to feed their people to survive. I don't want to hear that the WIFI went out or my stimulus check is late. People around the world have real problems and lack the basic needs of clean water and food that people here take for granted.


Last time I went to Puerto Rico, I went to Guavate to eat food with my family. Plenty of food and music and people happy. I wouldn't call that a "mess" while many around the world don't even have clean water, or electricity or even plumbing. Go checkout India how the poor lives. It makes our "poor" in the U.S. and Puerto Rico look good. It makes you appreciate the U.S. a lot more.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2021, 01:16 PM
Status: ""There is God in man, and in Nature."" (set 6 days ago)
 
Location: Houston, TX
4,372 posts, read 1,723,340 times
Reputation: 5726
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Your second paragraph is wrong. They may be smaller in percentage but those places exist on th island
Ive seen poverty in PR. Its not remotely comparable to the Philippines.

Last edited by As Above So Below...; 01-30-2021 at 01:25 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2021, 01:42 PM
 
453 posts, read 114,613 times
Reputation: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Ive seen poverty in PR. Its not remotely comparable to the Philippines.
the "poverty" in Puerto Rico is Satellite dish sticking out their balcony or roof. Multiple big flat panel tvs, wifi, laptops, Ipads, Modern stoves and fridges (full with food) , running water and plumbing, electricity, smart phones and economy cars. Free education for college. Federal aid by the U.S. government. Federal stimulus checks, unemployment checks. A big safety net.

Most of the poor Filipinos never seen most of those things in person while they eat dog and cat meat to survive.

How this comparison started is beyond me. Philippines should be compared to Vietnam, Laos, Haiti, Bolivia or Guatemala not a U.S. territory with a 30k per capita and under the protection of the U.S. Is not even in the same planet for comparison. The only thing they have in common is Spanish names and they were a colony of Spain centuries ago. That's it.

Like I said, I rather be the tail of a Lion than the head of a mouse in the jungle.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2021, 03:01 PM
 
Location: Wylie, Texas
2,471 posts, read 3,004,044 times
Reputation: 4270
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
Really? let's cut your salary by 80%, takeaway your individual rights and property rights, take away your U.S. citizenship and put dog and cat meat in your menu to survive and comeback here and tell us again that is not that much of a difference. Just cutting your salary by 80% alone would be enough to turn your life into crap.


If you get a 80% pay raise, get 40% discount cut in gasoline and get 50% cut in your interest rates on your loans, you would be bragging! How much is your U.S. Citizenship worth? Put a price. I say it's priceless because you wouldn't trade it for a Filipino one.


Puerto Ricans have plenty of reasons to brag about. Get out of your bubble, so you see what people outside of mainland U.S. live and see things. It's a sad state that millions of cats and dogs are slaughtered every year in a country to feed their people to survive. I don't want to hear that the WIFI went out or my stimulus check is late. People around the world have real problems and lack the basic needs of clean water and food that people here take for granted.


Last time I went to Puerto Rico, I went to Guavate to eat food with my family. Plenty of food and music and people happy. I wouldn't call that a "mess" while many around the world don't even have clean water, or electricity or even plumbing. Go checkout India how the poor lives. It makes our "poor" in the U.S. and Puerto Rico look good. It makes you appreciate the U.S. a lot more.
I stand by what I said. Puerto Rico is definitely in a better position than the Philippines. But that is solely because of the support from the U.S. Nothing else. Otherwise, if Puerto Rico is so great, then why are there more of them on the US mainland than on the island? In fact, the brain drain from the island to the mainland is a pretty massive problem.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Rico#Demographics

According to the 2010 Census, the number of Puerto Ricans living in the United States outside of Puerto Rico far exceeds those living in Puerto Rico. Emigration exceeds immigration. As those who leave tend to be better educated than those who remain, this accentuates the drain on Puerto Rico's economy.

Based on the July 1, 2019 estimate by the U.S. Census Bureau, the population of the Commonwealth had declined by 532,095 people since the 2010 Census data had been tabulated.[181]


So again, better than the Philippines, but nothing to brag about.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2021, 05:11 PM
 
453 posts, read 114,613 times
Reputation: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I stand by what I said. Puerto Rico is definitely in a better position than the Philippines. But that is solely because of the support from the U.S. Nothing else. Otherwise, if Puerto Rico is so great, then why are there more of them on the US mainland than on the island? In fact, the brain drain from the island to the mainland is a pretty massive problem.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Rico#Demographics

According to the 2010 Census, the number of Puerto Ricans living in the United States outside of Puerto Rico far exceeds those living in Puerto Rico. Emigration exceeds immigration. As those who leave tend to be better educated than those who remain, this accentuates the drain on Puerto Rico's economy.

Based on the July 1, 2019 estimate by the U.S. Census Bureau, the population of the Commonwealth had declined by 532,095 people since the 2010 Census data had been tabulated.[181]


So again, better than the Philippines, but nothing to brag about.



yeah, what's your point? Everybody under the jurisdiction of the United States benefits from the greatest economy of mankind. You think Utah would be the same if the Mormons would still be wondering around in the desert of Utah and left alone to be independent? You think Texas, New Mexico and Arizona would have the same economy and per capita if they were still part of Mexico? or Alaska still part of Russia? You think Hawaii would have the same economy if Natives would still be running a monarchy and the U.S. never invested in the island as a territory, later as state or invested in the biggest Naval military build up and defense contracts in the history of the Pacific and they were not under the protection of a Lion (economy and defense)? ........you know the answer to that but you don't down talk like that to the 50 states only Puerto Rico. I'm slowly exposing your bias.



You can say the same thing for any of the 50 states. If they weren't part of the greatest economy in human history or under the U.S. jurisdiction many would be screwed but that's not the argument to make. That's like saying if Michael Jordan wasn't black or 6' 5", the Bulls wouldn't have won 6 NBA championship to downplay the accomplishments and my answer to you is, if my Aunt had balls she would be my uncle.



If Tiger Woods wasn't born in the U.S.A but in Haiti or Africa, he wouldn't have what he has accomplished. Is that your argument to double down on your baseless comment "better than the Philippines, but nothing to brag about." You are saying Puerto Rico going from the poorest island in 1900 in the Caribbean to the highest per capita of any Latin Country today isn't nothing to brag about? From an island of 130 x 35 miles with very limited resources against full countries that are 100 times bigger, more natural resources and huge volumes of OIL doesn't impresses you? Spoken like an American that knows nothing about poverty.




Since you double down also on your claim that Puerto Rico is a "mess" because according to Wikipedia 532,095 Since people left the island for the mainland (it's common within the country for citizens to move within for better economies or natural disasters ) let me give you some facts to put things under perspective and give the bigger picture:


1). Many states and cities (specifically the over-populated ones loses population to other states or cities). New York, Illinois, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Louisiana, Mississippi, West Virginia,Connecticut and New Jersey lost population. New York has been losing over 125k people a year for the past years and they have the #3 best economy in the country and NO Category 5 hurricane split them in half like P.R. (#51 economy in the nation)



2) Texas, Florida, Arizona, North Carolina, Georgia, Washington, South Carolina, Tennessee, Colorado, Nevada and Utah grew and none of them had a category 5 hurricane split them in half like Puerto Rico to move.


2). You have NO clue what does a category 5 hurricane does to a tiny island of 130 x 35 miles and split them in half. You seen the aftermath of the bombings in Berlin and Vietnam? that is what Puerto Rico went through. They went from 3.5 million people in a tiny island to 3.1 million (still over populated) in the aftermath. They used their giving right to move within the country after a natural disaster destroyed their homes and jobs. They did what any American in the 50 states do when they get hit economically hard, they move. Go ask those dead towns in Ohio, Pennsylvania and Michigan where they moved after the factories closed. Imagine if they would have been split in half by air bombings which is what a category 5 hurricane does. You think most would stay? you know the answer to that.




3). With the hurricane and virus and all, Puerto Rico has a bigger population than Hawaii and Alaska and 20 states overall. That kills your argument. If a category 5 hurricane splits in half Salt Lake City like the Vietnam bombings that destroys homes and jobs, what %. of the population would move to the surrounding states (even for a few years) for jobs? take a guess. Many would go to Colorado, Arizona, Texas, Nevada quick. They don't even have to fly. You make it sound that moving within the country is a bad thing overall after a natural disaster. I say it's the opposite. Filipinos and many people around the world don't have that luxury of moving freely after bad things land on them. That's another bragging right Puerto Ricans have over the Filipinos. U.S. Citizenship and move around and move around freely in the country with the best economy in history.





4). Puerto Rico went from an agriculture economy to an industrial economy after WW2 and now they are trying to transition to a technical economy and the category 5 hurricane slowed things down for them. All economies in history goes to a transition and population moving within when the economy changes. It happens in the U.S. and the planet. I don't understand what does that has to do with the Philippines and your comment about P.R. There is no comparison with the facts I wrote.




5) How many Puerto Ricans would trade their U.S. Citizenship for a Filipino one? and how many Filipinos would trade their citizenship for the American. That should tell you all. Is not even a debate.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2021, 06:17 PM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
9,743 posts, read 9,578,163 times
Reputation: 9014
Must be a lot of Russian bot trolls starting all these anti-American threads.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top