U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2021, 11:03 PM

453 posts, read 114,613 times

Advertisements

Easy to expose people's biases and double standards. Why is it acceptable and positive for people in the states to move around within cities and other states after an economic depression or natural disasters but if Puerto Rico does it, it's a bad thing. I thought the beauty about our American citizenship is that you can freely move around within the country especially after a category 5 hurricane split in half your island and you lost your house and job. I thought that is a good thing not bad.

I have never heard any American tell the Mormons in Utah " man, you guys are lucky that you are under the U.S.A protection and in the U.S.A or you'd all be wondering still around the desert fighting with the Utes for land, you guys are lucky the U.S. bailed you out and made you a state". I never heard that.

I have never heard any American tell most of the states in the west from California, Texas, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado that they are lucky that the U.S. made them a state and they are No longer part of Mexico.

I have never heard people telling Hawaii, "you guys are lucky the U.S. made you what you are or you will be running around naked on the beach drinking coconuts and eating fish and shrimps. You got what you got because of the U.S. If it wasn't for the U.S., the Japanese empire would have ate you guys for breakfast. I have never heard people telling Alaska, " yeah, you guys are lucky that the U.S. bought you guys from Russia or you wouldn't have anything."

But you can make the same comments for Puerto Rico. Double standards. Easy to expose people.

Last edited by SanJuanStar; 01-30-2021 at 11:11 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2021, 07:51 AM

3 posts, read 1,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Must be a lot of Russian bot trolls starting all these anti-American threads.
How is this an anti-US thread?

I've met some filos who actually wanted the Japanese to stay longer with us to adapt their culture, nothing against them, but let's not forgot

One of the posters said:

Had we not asserted our independence from the Americans, we would still be like Guam or Puerto Rico, ever more dependent to the sinking US Dollar. Hershey's, Tootsie Roll, Trump and yes even GameStop would flood our daily CNN News 6:30 PM feed. Forget TV Patrol and Kabayan, let's embrace George Stephanopoulos, and Tucker Carlson (like hell no...) and yes, even Anderson Hays Cooper, a Vanderbilt heir.

- tanginangbuhay0927

Old 01-31-2021, 01:28 PM

You must be Filipino. What's up with the topic and Puerto Rico hating? Philippines are on the other side of the world and has ZERO connection to P.R. Different language, different culture, different history, different politics, different economy. There is a saying in Puerto Rico that says "Tu no te reconoces?" (it means you don't know where you stand and stay quiet) You shouldn't be throwing rocks when you live in a china glass house. (I wouldn't call a house for most)

yeah, I'm sure there were some Italians and French that wanted the Germans to stay to "adapt" their culture and lick their boots. Those were hanged in front of the plazas or beat up and jailed and rejected after the Americans kicked the Germans out and the people woke up.

Any Filos that says that is ignorant and don't know about their own history. The Japanese invasion of the Philippines was brutal. The bombings, killings, tortures, war crimes and rapes. Japanese made the Germans look reasonable. The Japanese where worse than the Nazis. Hollywood in America will never make those movies about that since they are obsessed with the Nazis and don't fit the agenda(I wonder who runs Hollywood).

Japan invaded mainland China, both Koreas, Hong Kong, Myanmar, Vietnam, Thailand, The Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia. They conquered more land than the Nazis. There is a reason the Koreans (and many Asians) HATE Japan. I talked to many Koreans here and their parents told them stories (RIP) what they lived and it was brutal, they are all thankful that they are alive and made it to the U.S. to tell the tale. Philippines is the same.

Japan killed more people than the Nazis and held their occupied countries much longer. It took the Americans and other allies to fight them longer, throw everything at them including the kitchen sink, sacrifice more Americans and drop 2 A-Bombs to finally make them quit because unlike the Germans, the Japanese didn't have the word "surrender" in their blood. That's how bad they were. They took the word EVIL and gave it their own definition.

This woke young generation take a lot of things for granted.

Just on the Philippines alone: Tell those Filipinos to read up on the Manila massacre (that's just 1 of many more) by the Japanese Empire. Over 100,000 Filipinos civilians were killed. Some historians, citing a higher civilian casualty rate for the entire battle, suggest that up 500,000 died as a result of the Manila massacre on its own. The mass rapes on the Filipino women were just brutal, many were killed after the gang rapes by genital torture . Japanese troops forced parents to rape their own children at gunpoint.The Japanese view themselves as the superior race and they tortured a lot of Asians. Emperor Hirohito should have been charged with war crimes and hanged 50 times over and over and made it public. It's one of the grave injustices in history.

Germany made amends for their sins but Japan 'till this day act like they are the victims of American force and are arrogant to take responsibility for their crimes. Any Filipino that wanted that evil to stay in their country must have their head examine. There are better ways to learn foreign culture without having your country invaded, killed, torture and raped in masses.

Last edited by SanJuanStar; 01-31-2021 at 02:46 PM..

Old 01-31-2021, 07:36 PM

3 posts, read 766 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_re...o%20compensate

War reparations made pursuant to the San Francisco Peace Treaty with Japan (1951) include: reparations amounting to US$550 million (198 billion yen 1956) were made to the Philippines, and US$39 million (14.04 billion yen 1959) to South Vietnam; payment to the International Committee of the Red Cross to compensate prisoners of war (POW) of 4.5 million pounds sterling (4.54109 billion yen) was made

Old 01-31-2021, 08:34 PM

$550 million dollars for the destruction, torture and massive killings and rapes of the Philippines. 1 million deaths not counting the surviving victims of massive rapes and torture is about perfect.
I didn't know human life and bringing evil to your country was so cheap.

Making them pay the Philippines $550 million a year for 50 years it would have been closer to justice and still it wouldn't be enough.

Japan came out fine. They got to keep their emperor and their country kept in 1 piece. They have the #4 best economy in the world with 5 trillion a year. 550 million dollars one time payment? that's tough.

Old 01-31-2021, 08:35 PM

630 posts, read 177,298 times
Not sure about poor, but just as corrupt.

Old 01-31-2021, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairmanoftheboard View Post
Not sure about poor, but just as corrupt.
Back it up. Puerto Rico is under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Federal Government. That means all federal laws apply there. The FBI, DEA, Coast Guard and the military can go in there from the orders of Congress or the President or any federal court and mop up the perpetrators. They even have federal courts and a big federal prison for all violators of federal law in the island. You can't say the same for the Philippines. Is not even in the same ballpark, is not even on the same planet the comparison.

The Philippines just had a dictator named Ferdinand Marcos for 3 decades. He and his wife stole 10 billion dollars from the country (1 of many of their crimes). That would never happen in Puerto Rico. The Americans will never allow that for 1 year let alone 3 decades.

You know the funny and sad thing about Filipino law is that they let his wife and kids comeback to the country after exile and run for public office (including the wife) after stealing 10 billion dollars and other brutal crimes that includes kidnapping, torture and killings. His kids actually won elections and served. This corruption is at another level. Puerto Rico's corruption is nothing like theirs.

Puerto Rico just kicked out a 1st term governor for some e-mails that hurt people's feelings. You think they are going to put up with the Filipino dictatorship corruption for 3 decades? I wish people get informed before they write.

Puerto Rico's corruption is higher than the 50 states (not so far apart from D.C, Baltimore, Chicago, Detroit), lower than the Latin countries and a lot lower than the Philippines. Being under the federal jurisdiction and having the FBI and DEA in the island helps a lot and having a per capita at 30k helps. There are not enough FBI agents to deal with the corruption and crimes that comes from the massive poverty in the Philippines. The U.S. has to make up multiple federal law enforcement agencies just for them and 10 times the welfare aid and still they would be overwhelmed. They would have to built multiple federal prisons and put lots of federal courts in that country if they were under the American jurisdiction.

Last edited by SanJuanStar; 01-31-2021 at 09:40 PM..

Old 01-31-2021, 11:18 PM

So we can end this silly topic and comparison. The Philippines has 106 million people. Puerto Rico 3.3 million.

Philippines per capita is 80% lower, gas is 40% more expensive, interest rates are double, The purchasing power is 300% lower in the Philippines, they have a long history of violence and authoritarianism. They kill over 1 million dogs and cats to eat a year. One is a banana republic and the other are under the U.S. jurisdiction and have U.S. citizenship.

Out of the thin air, which side will have the most corruption, crime, violence and ignorance? The 106 million side or the 3 million side? this is easy to pick even a second grader can get this right. 106 million people living under extreme poverty or 3 million people that have 80% more in per capita and have U.S. Citizenship?

I guess for some here it's the same. Nothing to brag about.

Last edited by SanJuanStar; 01-31-2021 at 11:26 PM..

Old 02-01-2021, 12:08 AM

3,951 posts, read 1,810,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Ive seen poverty in PR. Its not remotely comparable to the Philippines.
That's not what I was disagreeing with. Anyone who knows anything about this knows the poverty in PH is on a level much higher than PR. I was merely saying that "eating garbage/animal bi products" isn't foreign to PR. Proportional to PH, they're in farther less quantity, and aren't nearly as far off. I'm saying the bottom of the barrel in PR is much worse than you described. But of course PH bottom is definitely much lower.

Ironically, in my job, Philippines and Puerto Ricans are probably who we work with the most. From the Filipinos I've got to know and the stories I've seen, I've heard some gruesome stories of what Filipinos have had to go through to get their hands on some money. No way in hell is PR in PH's shoes.

Don't take this personal, but I absolutely hate when people use the "I've been" card. Don't get me wrong, this means you know much more about PR than someone who's never been. But this doesn't mean you've seen all of PR. I've lived there and even I haven't seen all of PR.

Last edited by ParaguaneroSwag; 02-01-2021 at 12:18 AM..

Old 02-01-2021, 02:49 AM

Why are people still having this discussion? this has nothing to do with race or color but economics, lack of opportunities and a long and dark history of violence and authoritarianism that brings the worst out of people.

Philippines have 106 million people on the extreme lower end and Puerto Rico have 3 million on the upper end with U.S. Citizenship.

106 million is 35 times more than 3 million. That means their corruption, crime, violence and ignorance is at least 17 times (half of 35) more than Puerto Rico and that's putting mildly.

If you make 35 times more money than me, then there is no comparison to even debate it in a discussion, you are at another level with other people with similar numbers.

If it was the other way around it would be the same facts. The bigger the poverty with more people the more corruption and more crime. It doesn't matter what color or culture.

What's next, compare the Philippines to Hawaii or Bermuda because they have darker skin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories