U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2021, 09:32 AM

14,075 posts, read 20,318,605 times

Advertisements

It's not a good comparison for the reasons listed.

But also Puerto Rico, while have serious economic and corruption problems, also has safety nets for it's people (social welfare, etc.). It's a third world province, but it still operates under a 1st world support system. That alone makes them much more prosperous than most in the Philippines can ever imagine.
However, note here there are countries much poorer than the Philippines as well. They also have a social welfare system but just not as generous.

OP I read some suspicion of your real agenda here. I think the reason is that in the last few months we had a user very similiar to you spouting about the same topics - both Philippines and P.R. He ended up banned for reasons I probably cannot discuss. The moderators also frequently encounter returned banned members that simply change user names. They also end up banned...eventually, the forum has tools to detect this.

Last edited by Dd714; 02-02-2021 at 09:41 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2021, 11:49 AM

453 posts, read 114,613 times
Imagine if former governor Ricky Rosello turned Puerto Rico into a dictatorship for 30 years and he and wife steals 10 billion dollars while committing high crimes like torture, kidnapping and killings during his 30 yr. regime and declared martial law to stay in power and destroyed his political opposition and then exiles with the family with all the stolen money and then years later his wife and children are allowed to return to the country and are allowed to run for public office and win public office and doesn't have to pay the money back or do time. That's unheard of in the U.S. and Puerto Rico. Corruption exists in P.R. but is at the level of Chicago, D.C., Baltimore and Detroit but nothing like the Philippines.

That corruption is corruption on steroids. If that happens at the highest level, it happens at all levels in government in the Philippines. Corruption spreads from top to bottom.

Last edited by SanJuanStar; 02-02-2021 at 12:15 PM..

Old 02-02-2021, 01:12 PM

6,711 posts, read 4,505,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveandpeacewillrule View Post
According to the Filipino people, they are against their country being a territory or even a state of the US because they will end up just like Puerto Rico - a corrupt, backwater, impoverished island territory, where the people are second class citizens and don't have freedoms. At least the Philippines is free.

So is all this true? Is Puerto Rico really as poor as the Philippines and faces the same severity of problems the Filipino people face?

If so, why don't Puerto Ricans ask for their independence?

When did the Philippines or the United States ever express a desire for territorial status or statehood? That’s not an issue. The Philippines is a country that already has corruption, poverty, and a whole host of problems that are all home grown.

Puerto Rico already has a pipeline due to it’s status to financial programs and cash aid from the US so it certainly doesn’t have the poverty level of the Philippines. The slums of Tondo in Manila or the squatter encampments in the provincial barangays are far worse than Puerto Rico.

Old 02-02-2021, 08:37 PM

3,229 posts, read 3,620,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveandpeacewillrule View Post
According to the Filipino people, they are against their country being a territory or even a state of the US because they will end up just like Puerto Rico - a corrupt, backwater, impoverished island territory, where the people are second class citizens and don't have freedoms. At least the Philippines is free.

So is all this true? Is Puerto Rico really as poor as the Philippines and faces the same severity of problems the Filipino people face?

If so, why don't Puerto Ricans ask for their independence?
Let me start by asking, "Kumusta ka?" I hope your answer is "mabuti."

Friend, I've had the pleasure and honor of visiting your amazing and beautiful country 4 times between the ages of 19 and 55. Each time, I was made to feel welcomed by all Pinoys/Pinays. I've seen and been inside palatial homes in Ayala-Alabang, Tagay Tay, and Balesin Island. I've also been in squatter quarters in Olongapo, Subic Bay.

Sir/Mam, with all due respect to you, your beautiful people, culture, and country, there is little to no comparison between poverty in Puerto Rico and poverty in The Philippines. Regardless, the poverty of the Philippines takes nothing away from its natural beauty, and the inviting warmth of its people. Mabuhay!

Salamat

Old 02-03-2021, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
When did the Philippines or the United States ever express a desire for territorial status or statehood? That’s not an issue. The Philippines is a country that already has corruption, poverty, and a whole host of problems that are all home grown.

Puerto Rico already has a pipeline due to it’s status to financial programs and cash aid from the US so it certainly doesn’t have the poverty level of the Philippines. The slums of Tondo in Manila or the squatter encampments in the provincial barangays are far worse than Puerto Rico.

Good point. The U.S. never gave them U.S. Citizenship unlike P.R. Their intention was to have a military presence in the region because they knew something was brewing between China, Japan and the Russians wanting to build empires to control Asia. You have to learn history and WW 1 and WW 2. The Philippines were just a head of a mouse caught in the middle of a jungle with Lions and they were either going to be run over by the Japanese or Chinese. It was Japanese Fascism or Chinese Communism. Either way, the Philippines were screwed without the United States.

Philippines has been invaded for centuries by outside forces and the Japanese's invasion being the worse one and most brutal. If it wasn't for the United States, China or Japan would be controlling the Philippines and both would have been bad.

So when I hear a Filipino downgrade Puerto Rico that they are nobody without the U.S. I just start laughing. Where would the Philippines be today if the U.S. didn't kick the Japanese out or didn't keep China at bay and away from the Philippines?

They have to make world history mandatory especially WW 2 for Filipinos. A lot at stake especially for them directly. It took the U.S. lots of blood, sweat and tears, throw everything including the kitchen sink at Japan and 2 A-bombs to end the war. Japan were worse than the Nazis. They conquered more than the Nazis. Japan conquered Mainland China, both Koreas, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines, Dutch East Indies, Singapore, Myanmar, East Timor, New Guinea, Guam, Wake Island and other islands. The tortures, killings and massive rapes made the Nazis look reasonable.

I respect the Filipino people. They are my favorite Asian culture. They have a lot of bad luck from outside forces and bad choices of their on. They have a huge talent to keep their existence and that I give them kudos for. A lot stronger than Puerto Ricans culture that didn't have to live through that. Puerto Rico didn't go what the Philippines have gone. Not even in the same ballpark. Not even in the same planet for comparison.

When I hear young Puerto Ricans play the victim card and say ignorant things like: Remember the Ponce "Massacre", "Neve Forget" I tell them shut the hell up, you are embarrassing. You don't know what is massacre or war. 19 people were shot by the Police and 2 Police died in Ponce in 1937. That's internal. It's bad but nothing like being on a massive level invaded, killed, tortured or raped and massive is millions of people not 21 people. That's on another level on its own. That has negative consequences for the whole country for decades.

I rather take 21 people dead in 1 incident that is internal than having what the Philippines went through during the Japanese invasion alone. If we make everything a massacre, it takes away from the real massacres and wars.

Last edited by SanJuanStar; 02-03-2021 at 11:52 PM..

Old 02-04-2021, 08:04 AM

If the OP is truly from Philippines than I have over 17,000 reasons why he should be thankful to the U.S.

WWII Manilla American Cemetery

Old 02-04-2021, 09:38 AM

6,740 posts, read 9,501,168 times
For some reason, I thought that was at Arlington National Cemetery near Washington DC, but the positioning of the flags of the Philippines and the United States made me do some quick research. I was perplexed why the Filipino flag was higher than the American one, assuming it was a cemetery in the USA. It turns out it's a cemetery in the Philippines. Now the flags positions makes sense.

Last edited by AntonioR; 02-04-2021 at 11:04 AM..

Old 02-04-2021, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
For some reason, I thought that was at Arlington National Cemetery near Washington DC, but the positioning of the flags of the Philippines and the United States made me do some quick research. I was perplexed why the Filipino flag was higher than the American one, assuming it was a cemetery in the USA. It turns out it's a cemetery in the Philippines. Now the flags positions makes sense.
Yup, it's in Manilla. These are American war dead that fell in the Philippines in WWII (some from the campaign in New Guinea as well). Including 23 Medal of Honor recipients. And, since this is the P.R. forum, I am sure soldiers from P.R. are also well represented there as well. The battalion commander of the 31st infantry by the way was Puerto Rican. He led the defense of Phillipines against overwhelming japanese numbers for 4 months until his troops and ammo were exhausted. When he surrendered he and his men were subject to torture at the hands of the Japanese, including the Bataan Death March. The 31st lost something like half it's number.
Similar cemetery exists in Normandy as well, maybe a few other places.

Lest we forget....

Last edited by Dd714; 02-04-2021 at 11:39 AM..

Old 02-04-2021, 12:57 PM

My father and grandfather both R.I.P. were both Veterans. They made me as a kid watch endless documentaries and read books about the wars especially WW 2 and the invasions and atrocities by Japan in Asia. I thank them for it. It made me put life into perspective and laugh at Puerto Ricans that make themselves victims and drown in the tub with "Ponce Massacre" "never forget" and Oscar Lopez, Americans and Navy out crowd. They are embarrassing. The Japanese invasion was brutal not only for the POW and soldiers but the civilians especially women and children. If you think a category 5 hurricane splitting your country in half is bad, that's nothing to WW 2 and what the Philippines and Asia lived and there was only 1 country that gave up blood, sweat and tears, throw the kitchen sink at them and 2 A-Bombs to set things right and confront evil. Other allies take credit like Australia and other small countries and the resistance in the Philippines and the invaded countries also but if was the United States that took the heavy load and the only power that could deal with Japan. No other country had the naval fleet or power to really defeat the Japanese and kick them out.

Philippines has a lot to be thankful to the U.S. This goes back to Puerto Rico. I rather be the tail of a lion than the head of a mouse in the jungle. If you know history and how the world operates you understand why P.R. doesn't want independence and wants to be under U.S. rule. Even some Puerto Ricans doesn't understand this and live with poems and illusions and wishful thinking at the cost of security and economics. Puerto Rico is not the center of the universe. Some Ricans think they are. I always tell them, you are a tail of a lion, enjoy the ride. Puerto Rico is just another small part out of many in a clock that constantly moves and it's not even the heart of the clock. Enjoy the ride. This is the best of times in the history of the planet and 1 country made it possible.

It's funny, I took the family out to Red Lobster yesterday and it came to me how good we have it as a society as a whole and my grandparents (R.I.P) and that generation came to mind. They served us food, drinks and dessert (1 of many things many take for granted) . I'm far from rich. I'm middle class. That 200 years ago or even 100 years was impossible for 85% of the people in Puerto Rico, let alone most of the world. My grandparents had to wash and dry their clothes by hand when most of us have washer and dryers and even access to dry cleaners. Most of the time all they could eat is white rice and spam or corned beef in a can (that was better to most in the world) They had to lived WW 1, San Felipe category 5 hurricane , Spanish Flu (made Corona look like a cold) , Great Depression and WW 2. That was back to back to back, to back, to back with very little and they built families and the country. Their attitudes were gold. Many young people today take a lot for granted and forget we live in the best of times. Not perfect, life isn't supposed to be but if you put things under perspective from 1900 to present, Puerto Rico and the Philippines are living in their best of times to their level.

Can anybody truly say, Puerto Rico or the Philippines had it better 200 or 100 years ago or even 400 years ago? If you know history you know the answer.

Last edited by SanJuanStar; 02-04-2021 at 01:13 PM..

Old 02-06-2021, 01:00 PM

2,204 posts, read 1,585,160 times
Puerto Rico is vastly wealthier than the Philippines. Anyone saying otherwise needs to visit both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories