U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 10:29 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,707,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarpeg View Post
The garbage issue is cultural, or maybe that is the wrong word, awareness or education is the problem. I do have several garbage stories that pertain exactly to this issue. I spent several winters in PR. The trash shocked me. Huge piles of it on some of the most amazing beaches. These were local beaches no tourists. People just leaving the beach and dumping everything in a pile before they got in their cars. They had this system if you can call it that , where people just freely throw trash on the ground and then at some point someone is supposed to come pick it up. As we know this will never work. I worked for a company that had a factory up on the mountains in a small town. Each year at various festivals the town would be covered in trash after the event. Our company went to the town and said why is all this trash being thrown away on our streets. They said the town could not afford trash cans. So our company bought 100's of trash cans for the town and when I went down next year you practically could not walk 10 ft before running into a trash can. The festival went on as usual and when it was done we were standing knee deep in trash, the cans were mostly empty. Here's another one. On the street we lived in Mayaguez each week a couple guys in a truck would come with brooms and sweep the trash up. One day I watched as they packed up and were driving away the driver through an empty cigarette package out the window..of the street he just swept. Last story. I took my family camping to Flamingo Beach on Culebra. It may be the most beautiful beach in the world. I arrived late in the evening and what I saw was essentially a trash dump. Trash all over the beach. I was completely shocked. I pushed aside some to set my tent up and we went to sleep. Next morning there was a team of park rangers cleaning the beach. When they were done it was pristine. I asked what had happened and they said the college kids had been on the beach for the holiday weekend...The garbage issue can not be solved in PR until the public is educated about it. This is the exact same thing we had happen here in the 1960's The crying Indian ad, if some of you remember. When I went to grade school in the 60's it was a huge thing drilled into us. Don't litter, and that essentially was all a took. That is all that needs to be done, teach the children, in 25 years problem will be solved.
Oh, wow.. that's very interesting... I just don't see how they can live in filth though. I saw two water bottles filled with pee on the ground yesterday. There are so many pigeons and chickens just walking around.... It's gross.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2021, 11:49 AM

3,231 posts, read 3,623,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarpeg View Post
The garbage issue is cultural, or maybe that is the wrong word, awareness or education is the problem. I do have several garbage stories that pertain exactly to this issue. I spent several winters in PR. The trash shocked me. Huge piles of it on some of the most amazing beaches. These were local beaches no tourists. People just leaving the beach and dumping everything in a pile before they got in their cars. They had this system if you can call it that , where people just freely throw trash on the ground and then at some point someone is supposed to come pick it up. As we know this will never work. I worked for a company that had a factory up on the mountains in a small town. Each year at various festivals the town would be covered in trash after the event. Our company went to the town and said why is all this trash being thrown away on our streets. They said the town could not afford trash cans. So our company bought 100's of trash cans for the town and when I went down next year you practically could not walk 10 ft before running into a trash can. The festival went on as usual and when it was done we were standing knee deep in trash, the cans were mostly empty. Here's another one. On the street we lived in Mayaguez each week a couple guys in a truck would come with brooms and sweep the trash up. One day I watched as they packed up and were driving away the driver through an empty cigarette package out the window..of the street he just swept. Last story. I took my family camping to Flamingo Beach on Culebra. It may be the most beautiful beach in the world. I arrived late in the evening and what I saw was essentially a trash dump. Trash all over the beach. I was completely shocked. I pushed aside some to set my tent up and we went to sleep. Next morning there was a team of park rangers cleaning the beach. When they were done it was pristine. I asked what had happened and they said the college kids had been on the beach for the holiday weekend...The garbage issue can not be solved in PR until the public is educated about it. This is the exact same thing we had happen here in the 1960's The crying Indian ad, if some of you remember. When I went to grade school in the 60's it was a huge thing drilled into us. Don't litter, and that essentially was all a took. That is all that needs to be done, teach the children, in 25 years problem will be solved.
I dislike agreeing with you but you're correct regarding everything you've stated. I was born in PR but have resided on mainland USA most of my life. Like you, I cannot understand why PR residents are inclined to discard their trash on the ground. I've been shocked by the amount of litter one sees in PR's beautiful beaches. One thing which has changed for the better is Culebra's Flamenco Beach. Seems like they've tightened up what you can take on the beach. I wish litter rules were stricter everywhere in PR.

Cultural littering aside, PR has an enormous waste management problem which has gone unaddressed for decades. Administration after administration have basically swept the problem under the rug or have punted the problem to the next administration. About 22 years ago, I was involved in a proposed Waste-To-Energy (WTE) project in PR. The WTE project was designed to manage 30% of PR's daily 12,000 tons of generated trash. Unfortunately, "well-meaning yet uninformed" opponents stonewalled the project for years until it was no longer viable. Their counter argument to the project was based on "educating the masses" to reuse, reduce, and recycle. I always questioned the wisdom of that argument.

If PR has not yet ran out of landfill space it will run out soon. Then what? The thought of it is troubling.

Old 02-15-2021, 01:20 PM

5 posts, read 1,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveandpeacewillrule View Post
According to the Filipino people, they are against their country being a territory or even a state of the US because they will end up just like Puerto Rico - a corrupt, backwater, impoverished island territory, where the people are second class citizens and don't have freedoms. At least the Philippines is free.

So is all this true? Is Puerto Rico really as poor as the Philippines and faces the same severity of problems the Filipino people face?

If so, why don't Puerto Ricans ask for their independence?
Puerto Rico isn't poor........AT ALL. This is a dumb thread for even asking.

Old 02-15-2021, 03:30 PM

113 posts, read 33,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post

If PR has not yet ran out of landfill space it will run out soon. Then what? The thought of it is troubling.
What will happen? Easy. Florida will get bullied into taking the shipments of garbage that cannot be buried on the island. It has already happened:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...ydq-story.html

Old 02-16-2021, 11:14 PM

3,231 posts, read 3,623,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterThanTheSpeed View Post
What will happen? Easy. Florida will get bullied into taking the shipments of garbage that cannot be buried on the island. It has already happened:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...ydq-story.html
And that is not fair to Florida.

As mentioned, the solution to this gargantuan problem was within arm's reach 22 years ago. Unfortunately, opponents to the solution spoke from a broader stage, had a bigger megaphone, and commanded a wider audience than we did. Everyone has the right to opposition. However, if you oppose a viable solution, then it falls on the opponent to offer an equal-to or better-than solution to that which you oppose. If you are not able to produce an equal-to or better-than solution, then your argument is invalid. We made our argument from this line of reasoning over and over between 1998 and 2001, and once again between 2010 and 2012. Each time, vociferous opponents won the argument with baseless claims.

One thing which - to this day - annoys me about my Puerto Rican society is how critical issues are often viewed and defined through conspiracy lenses. Anything meant for public good is immediately met with doubt, distrust, and that "someone is gonna get rich and we will be stuck with the bill" mentality. As much as I hate to admit this, by 2001, I was exhausted from it. I realized our good and noble intentions were going nowhere.

And here we are 20 years later. We're on the verge of witnessing what will be of a small island whose monetary unit is the US Dollar. I cringe at the thought of what will become of Puerto Rico - my homeland -when it runs out of space to bury the discards of its purchasing power.

Old 02-18-2021, 03:48 PM

6,741 posts, read 9,505,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
And that is not fair to Florida.
A few decades ago, piles of rock ash (a waste produced by a coal-based electricity plant in Guayama, Puerto Rico) was dumped in Samaná and Manzanillo, Dominican Republic. A huge scandal erupted in Santo Domingo once the rock ash was dumped regarding the possible toxic levels of the rock ash.

It shows that shipping wastes away from Puerto Rico is a real possibility.

In this case, it was an irresponsibility from US-based AES company, which operated power plants in both Puerto Rico and the DR. They faced lawsuits because of those shipments from Puerto Rico and other environmental violations in several of power plants they operated in the DR. Things like birth deformities such as kids born without limbs and early deaths of other children was part of the lawsuits they were subjected to.

In the first article it mentions the rock ash from PR in paragraphs 11 to 14: Toxic coal ash: A Caribbean time bomb

Old 02-19-2021, 07:53 AM

1,414 posts, read 2,352,753 times
To tie two themes together, I´ll put this one out there: If Puerto Rico doesn´t manage its trash problem and doesn´t have the clout to send it elsewhere (unlikely but possible), THEN it will be more like the Philippines:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7gDBVmgIRA&t=35s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D-cyk2MhXE

Old 02-21-2021, 02:11 AM

453 posts, read 115,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
To tie two themes together, I´ll put this one out there: If Puerto Rico doesn´t manage its trash problem and doesn´t have the clout to send it elsewhere (unlikely but possible), THEN it will be more like the Philippines:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7gDBVmgIRA&t=35s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D-cyk2MhXE

You know there is a difference with 3.5 million people with the American safety nets to 103+ million Filipinos living in 3rd world conditions. Puerto Rico will never be the Philippines. They are not on the same planet for comparison.

Old 02-21-2021, 07:32 PM

18,956 posts, read 12,116,579 times
There's a reason why it's so poor, they get atleast 5 major hurricanes a year. People just keep getting displaced by the storm.

Old 02-21-2021, 08:19 PM

34,147 posts, read 58,903,242 times
This is an excellent paradox: Puerto Rico will never be as poor as the Philippines, but it will also never be as rich as the Philippines.

Manila 2020
https://i.imgur.com/s5YHklI.jpg
My pic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories