U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 02:27 AM

3 posts, read 1,597 times

Advertisements

According to the Filipino people, they are against their country being a territory or even a state of the US because they will end up just like Puerto Rico - a corrupt, backwater, impoverished island territory, where the people are second class citizens and don't have freedoms. At least the Philippines is free.

So is all this true? Is Puerto Rico really as poor as the Philippines and faces the same severity of problems the Filipino people face?

If so, why don't Puerto Ricans ask for their independence?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2021, 08:49 AM
Status: ""There is God in man, and in Nature."" (set 6 days ago)

4,372 posts, read 1,723,340 times
Having been to both, no. Absolutely not.

The poverty in the Philippines is appalling. You have people living in cardboard houses, eating animal bi products, and there is garbage literally everywhere. I once say a child digging for food in the same pile of trash as a dog and some pigs.

Puerto Rico has its poverty but it is nowhere near that.

Old 01-29-2021, 09:09 AM

6,740 posts, read 9,501,168 times
That's the PR of certain peoples imagination, nothing more.

Old 01-29-2021, 12:28 PM

453 posts, read 114,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveandpeacewillrule View Post
According to the Filipino people, they are against their country being a territory or even a state of the US because they will end up just like Puerto Rico - a corrupt, backwater, impoverished island territory, where the people are second class citizens and don't have freedoms. At least the Philippines is free.

So is all this true? Is Puerto Rico really as poor as the Philippines and faces the same severity of problems the Filipino people face?

If so, why don't Puerto Ricans ask for their independence?
are you joking?(you are and bored) This is from a country that has Rodrigo Duterte running the country and they think Manny Pacquiao should be in the government and is a great singer. (At least Puerto Rico puts out real talent in music) You will never see Tito Trinidad or Miguel Cotto running for office or singing and the country pretends they are The Beatles or Elvis.

These are the economic data

1) The average monthly salary in Puerto Rico is $2,300 a monthly. Philippines is $390. That's 82% difference. I want to see your face if your boss cuts your salary just 25%, let alone 82%. You call that being more "free"?

2) The interest rate for banks and loans in almost double in the Philippines. There is a reason for this. When the investors think the political climate and economy are unstable, they charge double or triple the rates to lend money. The higher the risk the higher the rates. That's 1 of many red flags when you look into a place. It's interest rates and insurance rates.

3) Gasoline is 40% more expensive in the Philippines. So you earn 80% less than P.R. but pay 40% more in gasoline. How is that being "free"????? That's being screwed as a consumer. No wonder they ride a lot of bicycles and mules and are on foot (no shoes)

4) Volkswagen Golf 1.4 90 KW Trendline (Or Equivalent New Car) is 25k in Puerto Rico and 27k in the Philippines. Lets translate this in numbers and reality. You make 80% less in wages in the Philippines, you pay almost twice the interest rates and you pay 40% more in gasoline making it impossible to own a base entry car and drive it in the Philippine for an average person. You call that being "free"?

That's the tip in the economy. I still have the government and crime to cover.

The Philippines has a long history of corruption, political chaos and dictatorship with Ferdinand Marcos from 1965 to 1989 (3 decades) Puerto Rico has NEVER had a dictatorship under American rule and will never have. If you think Puerto Rico has too many politicians and big government, the Philippines makes them look small in numbers and agencies. Is not even close.

Half a million dogs are slaughtered annually in the Philippines to eat. You know the economy is bad.

I was stationed in Manila for a few months for training in the Navy. Nice people and deep culture but they have been very unlucky since they decided not to be part of the U.S. and wanted their independence. They got invaded and raped by the Japanese empire during WW 2 and it was brutal. The killings, tortures and rapes. It took the U.S. a lot of fighting and blood and to drop 2 A-bombs to defeat the Japanese. The Philippines would be a totally different country if Japan stayed permanently. Then their dictatorships, corruption and unstable government and economy. They had some bad luck and bad choices.

Puerto Rico didn't go through that hell. They were smarter in not kicking the Americans out. I rather be the tail of a lion than the head of a mouse in the jungle.

Old 01-29-2021, 01:15 PM

3,951 posts, read 1,810,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Having been to both, no. Absolutely not.

The poverty in the Philippines is appalling. You have people living in cardboard houses, eating animal bi products, and there is garbage literally everywhere. I once say a child digging for food in the same pile of trash as a dog and some pigs.

Puerto Rico has its poverty but it is nowhere near that.
Your second paragraph is wrong. They may be smaller in percentage but those places exist on th island

Old 01-29-2021, 04:27 PM

2,471 posts, read 3,004,044 times
A massive chunk of their citizens fled to the US mainland to find jobs and send back money which supports most of the people left on the island. Puerto Rico is a financial mess RIGHT NOW. As a part of the United States. Imagine if they had their independence and lost all that American financial support? They would probably be battling with Haiti for poorest country in the Americas. They may be better off than the Phillipines, but it's not like they have a lot to brag about.

As for the Phillipines, I'm not sure why they havent done better. All their peers are miles ahead in terms of living standards and economic might such as Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, heck even Vietnam is rapidly catching up. And the Phillipines really had several advantages that should have given them a head start over the others. A population that was already proficient in English, lots of American aid through both military bases and financial. Yet the country is just not where it should be. Disappointing overall.

Old 01-29-2021, 08:34 PM

6,740 posts, read 9,501,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
This is from a country that has Rodrigo Duterte running the country...
Not to turn this into an about Duterte thread, but I think he knows how Filipinos can be if they have a weak authority.

I remember when I read this back in the spring. Funny and I bet it was one of the most successful curfews in the region. lol

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/04/16...oot-them-dead/

Old 01-29-2021, 09:33 PM

Stop it and don't be silly and put economy and history under perspective. Puerto Rico is not in the same ballpark as the Philippines. Not even on the same planet. P.R. has a per capita of 30k a year and is under the protection of the greatest economy of the world and the freedom of being a U.S. Citizen that can go to anywhere in the 50 states and territories for economy (JOBS), education or retired with all the benefits and protection under the American constitution. While the Philippines has a per capita of $3,300 a year, it's at the bottom of the South East Asia market and kills over 1 million dogs and cats a year to eat. Yeah!, I say P.R. has a lot to brag about, take your pick. You will never find dog or cat meat in our menu. Is not a matter of "maybe", P.R. is better off, is not up for debate. They are better off in every category from economy and political and individual freedom and property rights. Didn't you know that just in the past 80 years alone , the Philippines were invaded and raped by the Japanese Empire and lived in a dictatorship for 3 decades that ended when I was still in high school. That has a long lasting effect on people and the country. Yeah, I say P.R. has bragging rights on this one, especially with U.S. Citizenship. Why don't you trade yours to theirs and let me know how is that working out.

With a category 5 hurricane that comes about once every 90 years, Puerto Rico per capita is at 30k a year. That's a lot higher than Taiwan, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Uruguay, Panama, Chile, Costa Rica, China, Russia, Argentina, Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, Guatemala, Venezuela and the list is long. If Puerto Rico is a "mess", what do you call the rest of Latin America and countries around the world? dead.

The previous category 5 hurricane that split in half Puerto Rico was in 1928 with San Felipe. That generation (my Grandparents) had to deal with WW 1, San Felipe, Great Depression and WW 2. That was back to back to back to back and they had to deal with it with a lot less than today's generation who live in the technology era. So save me the "oh my God, P.R. is a mess". please! not even close, they went through a lot of worse things than this and they will be be fine.

When you have U.S. Citizenship of the country with the best economy in the history of the world and they make good offers in 50 states to choose then you will take it especially after a category 5 hurricane slowed your economy. Duh! that's one of the benefits of being an American citizen. I wonder if you give U.S. Citizenship to all those countries below Puerto Rico, what % of their population will move here freely? 50%? 65%? 80%? I'm guessing millions of them will end up with the country with the best economy in human history. I know for a fact that at least 50% of the population in Venezuela will take U.S. Citizenship and move in a hard beat. Venezuela per capita is $1,730 a year and they have oil and more natural resources (imagine if they didn't have the oil). You don't think they would make the jump to earn 30k a year or more. I would, would you?
Philippines competes in the South Asia market:

Per capita:

Philippines: $3,350 Thailand: $7,200
Indonesia: $4,030
Malaysia: $10,100
Vietnam: $3,500

If Puerto Rico wakes up with those numbers, they would all jump to the sea. If 30k per capita is a mess, I'm guessing a lot of countries in the world that are 100 times bigger and have more natural resources would want that "mess". They would pray and beg to have that "mess". LOL

Last edited by SanJuanStar; 01-29-2021 at 10:14 PM..

Old 01-29-2021, 10:08 PM

443 posts, read 432,246 times
I have not been to PR in quite a few years, prior to hurricane, but I never felt it was a 3rd worldish country. Warm friendly people, living quite modestly by US standards but there was no culture shock. I felt it was sort of on the level of much of Mexico. Call it 2nd world. Most Americans will find it an easy shift in a couple days. I don't know about the Philippines, but I did tour through the Dominican Republic and that is much more 3rd worldish then PR. I experienced quite a bit of culture shock there. Although enjoyed the trip, I did feel out of place among the truly poor.

Old 01-29-2021, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Not to turn this into an about Duterte thread, but I think he knows how Filipinos can be if they have a weak authority.

I remember when I read this back in the spring. Funny and I bet it was one of the most successful curfews in the region. lol

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/04/16...oot-them-dead/
I like Duterte, he is like old school throwback. Somebody to drink beer and play pool. Maybe you have a point about Filipino culture. I have seen Filipino politics and it makes Puerto Rico look good.

I met a lot of Filipinos in 1 day during the Pac vs Cotto weigh in Las Vegas years ago. They partied all weekend there. Great people and funny. They are my favorite race in that region. Most of them have Spanish names.

A lot of call centers there. You call and you can tell right away from the accent. God Bless them. They enjoy their jobs and are nice. I had never had a fight with any of them during a call. They fix it. Sometimes I can't understand their English but they repeat it slowly and I'm dying inside laughing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories