U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2021, 04:07 PM

13 posts, read 11,359 times

Advertisements

PR attorneys who will work for less than $18/ hour, where can I find them?
For simple legal work.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2021, 07:51 PM
mym

644 posts, read 925,552 times
for 18$ an hour is that attorney flipping burgers for you?

what are you looking for? a public notary or something? look for notario publico.

Old 04-12-2021, 07:58 PM

13 posts, read 11,359 times
They are out there. Some are driving for uber and need the work. Pr has a surplus since its only $20k to go to law school in pr. pls try to help, not criticize. burger flippers make $8 per hour

Old 04-12-2021, 08:24 PM
mym

how long would it take to pay off a 20k lawyer school at 18$ an hour i wonder?

if you find a mathematician for around $5 can you ask him/her for me please. swear ill pay you back later.

Old 04-13-2021, 12:27 PM

769 posts, read 170,172 times
Puerto Rico are full of lawyers of all kinds. You can find cheap ones. Not all went to Harvard or Yale or even UPR. The government in Puerto Rico are full of them. Some went cheap to get their degree at Dominican Republic or some college you never heard from. Some lawyers will work for free depends on the case. It's funny, a lot of them used Pell Grants and are full blown independentistas. They are either lawyers or teachers (a lot of them)

The question you have to ask yourself is what do you need him for? something criminal, don't go cheap. Something civil, you have to do your homework in the lawyer. Some are good and others are just mediocre even on the most basic things.

My experienced with lawyers in P.R. that some are arrogant and cocky. If you don't call them by their title "Licenciado or Licenciada" they take it like an insult and let you know. I seen lawyers down there treat and talk to their clients like crap and like children. They will remind you that you are down here and they are up there.

This is a true story. One of my classmates in P.R. went to school in P.R. to become a lawyer. She became one and wasn't making any money in the island (too many lawyers). She moved to my state and she was down talking my state because people here didn't refer to her as "Licenciada" and her title in P.R. and she felt that she was nobody here (she is one arrogant lawyer). I told her that she has to work herself up "querida" and being a lawyer in P.R. is not the same thing as being a lawyer here, especially when nobody has ever heard the school you graduated from and the requirements are different.

She found her calling in my state. She is a lawyer for immigration and she makes $$$$ doing the paperwork for illegals and charging them. She was excited that Biden won even though she lives in a red state because now it's a lot easier for illegals to apply and she is making lots of money in the process. She won't return to Puerto Rico. There is no money in what she does here. It's funny, she has videos in Spanish on Facebook and she goes a lot to local Spanish radio stations and talks in Spanish. She tells people that there is a federal law call "forgiveness" (something like that) for illegals to become a citizen even if they broke the law BUT (This is the catch), they have to call her FIRST and set up the appointment (bring your info and YOUR money, she doesn't mention money but that will come up in the appointment) and she will do everything. She says on air in Spanish "Don't wait, this is the best time, you have to contact me first". then on her same FB page she post pictures of her big house and boat and all. When I see her, I ask her "How's the state now?" LMAO!

If I had to start this life again, I would do 1 of 2 things. If I stay in P.R., I would open a small local academy and hire cheap teachers and recruit from the public schools of students that qualify for Pell Grants. The lower end the school, the better. It's a business with the Pell Grants. As long that you do the basic requirements by the Feds, those federal checks will be deposit on time, all the time and federal funds NEVER bounces.

or become a lawyer quick (nothing fancy) and just become an immigration lawyer in states with a large illegal immigration and just start charging money for the process and translation since most don't speak English. You charge 8k to 15k easy per person (some even more) just for walking them through the process and explaining the process to them in Spanish. You don't even have to call me "Licenciado" if you don't want, just bring cash or a money order. I will have different packages and prices for them. Tier 1, Tier 2, and, Tier 3.

Last edited by SanJuanStar; 04-13-2021 at 12:43 PM..

Old 04-13-2021, 06:53 PM
mym

ok, i apologize for my earlier comments. i thought htis was a troll thread of some kind. anyway https://www.abogadospr.com/ might help at least identify a lawyer for whatever it is you need. but seriously, you get what you pay for. i hope its not for a serious issue.

speaking of 'licenciado so & so' one time a cable company was being difficult giving back a deposit. the mail boy where i worked said watch this - he called them up for me said he was 'licenciado Castro' calling on behalf of m in regard to his deposit! - i got that money back in like 3 days.

Old 04-14-2021, 10:05 AM

LOL. Lincenciado is big in the island. If you become a lawyer in the island regardless of what school they graduated from they want to let you know with the title and make sure you refer to them that way. I never seen it with other professions like lawyers. Especially in San Juan and Guaynabo. They drive the fancy cars (mostly Mercedes), dress nice and eat at the best rest. in the island. If you go to the Metropol you see a lot of them eating with their clients or secretaries (and they dress nice also and pretty). Those are the fancy ones and the elite of the crop.

Then you go to Bayamon and Carolina and you have the average to mediocre lawyers and many run their business from their house or rent some crappy old building near downtown. The offices are a mess and most of them are hardly in the office because most of the time they are at the court house or at the bar and hires a part time secretary to answer the phones that they hired from the streets or some cheap college and wear jeans to work. Stay away from those. If a lawyer can't organize his office and can't answer your calls because he is overwhelmed and he is doing everything by himself, then he is not giving you 100%. They will take your money and good luck. I know a few mediocre ones that had to get rid of their part time secretaries and have an answering service taking calls. A sign for me when I walk to a lawyer's office is if the secretary is wearing jeans and chewing gum ( some doing their nails at their desk) and the place looks like crap, and the lawyers looks like he drinks a lot or dresses bad. I walk away.

So do your homework and check reviews of a lawyer or if the lawyers has had any lawsuits or formal complains from clients or workers. Those are public records. It depends what you need them for. You have all kinds in Puerto Rico. A lot of them go into the Puerto Rican government (that's another topic on itself)

Old Yesterday, 04:58 PM
mym

im glad we could share a laugh SanJuanStar

Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mym View Post
im glad we could share a laugh SanJuanStar

it's funny in a way but sad. I had 2 classmates from Puerto Rico that became lawyers in the island (one I told you about ) I don't know what they do during law school and the elite people they hang around with but they get arrogant to a point you can't hang with them too long. They weren't like that during High School. I would never throw my resume or title to friends or classmates. I knew about the lawyers in P.R. a long time go but when it happens to your own classmates you would be like "wow", You want people to refer to you by Licenciada in public and don't use just your first name? whatever, 35 years has gone fast.

I'm a veteran, imagine going back to Puerto Rico and demanding my former classmates to not call me by my first name but my military title and I would be throwing my military rank on them to let them know I'm up here and they are down there. I wouldn't have much friends. Most Lawyers are like that. It's like a culture or club and if you are not in it, you are not welcome.

They dress nice, drive fancy cars and eat at the best rests. in Puerto Rico and their secretaries are very pretty and buy their clothes at Plaza Las Americas.They look very nice. I see them all the time in Metropol and Hotel Resorts and fine rests. and bars and of course Plaza las Americas.

But do your homework on lawyers in the island. I heard good things from good ones and nightmares from other ones from my friends and family members. You have good ones and mediocre ones that will just take your money and will never answer your calls and never be at their office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories