U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2021, 02:04 PM

3,362 posts, read 3,788,382 times

Advertisements

Hello CD posters. Hope all readers and posters are happy, healthy, and Covid-free upon reading this post.

July 2019 was the last time I was in Puerto Rico. Although it wasn't that long ago - given my twice/year pilgrimages to the island - it feels like a millennia has passed.

The day I arrived at SJU airport, it looked, felt, and sounded like a chaotic mess unfolding right before the eyes of the mostly civilized folk waiting in line to get past the various Covid checkpoints. The first thing I noticed was how the mandatory 6-foot distancing requirement was no longer "a mandatory requirement." Everyone in line was less than 6 feet apart. Yet, to our credit, everyone was masked up.

The next thing I noticed was something many locals are currently complaining about: that is, the ill comportment of visiting tourists. And there he was; Mr. 20 to 30 something tourist (southern drawl, ballcap and all) raising hell with a Covid Inspector because the line "was not moving fast enough." This bonehead was demanding to speak to a Supervisor. I could not be happier to see National Guard Troops drawing closer to the complainant. To his right, a female tourist (raspy voice and all) was complaining about how "they ain't even lettin' me out to smoke a cigarette."

Dear tourist, we are in the early stages of Covid exit. Please be patient when visiting places outside Mainland USA. Even though PR is part of the USA, it would behoove you to leave your entitlement mindedness far behind. If you don't, there's a good chance you will be the evening news' "tourist gone wild poster child." Trust me, people here are FED UP with the incivility of recent tourists. No matter your race, color, accent, etc., you will be tased if you F-up, period! Do yourselves a favor by being patient, showing your credentials upon request, and complying with local requirements.

OK. Puerto Rico is beautiful! I have spent more than one week in Dorado where family and friends reside or are nearby. Aside from visiting family, I promised myself to take in as much beach-sun as humanly possible. I am light brown, dark brown, and red all over. I have jogged, walked, and sat on this beach for hours. I met a wonderful Louisianna-born and bred woman who's lived in PR off and on since 1979. I've spent quality time with close family, namely my aging parents. I've enjoyed the sun, the sea, the fresh air, the constant breeze, the cooler temperatures, the lower humidity, and much more. There are a few more days left on this trip and I intend to enjoy each of them as much as possible.

Please, come to beautiful Puerto Rico. Just remember to be respectful of local norms and to act civilly towards others.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2021, 10:47 PM

8,447 posts, read 9,046,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Hello CD posters. Hope all readers and posters are happy, healthy, and Covid-free upon reading this post.

July 2019 was the last time I was in Puerto Rico. Although it wasn't that long ago - given my twice/year pilgrimages to the island - it feels like a millennia has passed.

The day I arrived at SJU airport, it looked, felt, and sounded like a chaotic mess unfolding right before the eyes of the mostly civilized folk waiting in line to get past the various Covid checkpoints. The first thing I noticed was how the mandatory 6-foot distancing requirement was no longer "a mandatory requirement." Everyone in line was less than 6 feet apart. Yet, to our credit, everyone was masked up.

The next thing I noticed was something many locals are currently complaining about: that is, the ill comportment of visiting tourists. And there he was; Mr. 20 to 30 something tourist (southern drawl, ballcap and all) raising hell with a Covid Inspector because the line "was not moving fast enough." This bonehead was demanding to speak to a Supervisor. I could not be happier to see National Guard Troops drawing closer to the complainant. To his right, a female tourist (raspy voice and all) was complaining about how "they ain't even lettin' me out to smoke a cigarette."

Dear tourist, we are in the early stages of Covid exit. Please be patient when visiting places outside Mainland USA. Even though PR is part of the USA, it would behoove you to leave your entitlement mindedness far behind. If you don't, there's a good chance you will be the evening news' "tourist gone wild poster child." Trust me, people here are FED UP with the incivility of recent tourists. No matter your race, color, accent, etc., you will be tased if you F-up, period! Do yourselves a favor by being patient, showing your credentials upon request, and complying with local requirements.

OK. Puerto Rico is beautiful! I have spent more than one week in Dorado where family and friends reside or are nearby. Aside from visiting family, I promised myself to take in as much beach-sun as humanly possible. I am light brown, dark brown, and red all over. I have jogged, walked, and sat on this beach for hours. I met a wonderful Louisianna-born and bred woman who's lived in PR off and on since 1979. I've spent quality time with close family, namely my aging parents. I've enjoyed the sun, the sea, the fresh air, the constant breeze, the cooler temperatures, the lower humidity, and much more. There are a few more days left on this trip and I intend to enjoy each of them as much as possible.

Please, come to beautiful Puerto Rico. Just remember to be respectful of local norms and to act civilly towards others.

I agree with you that people should be more civil. Rudeness is always an ugly trait. However all states with strict covid rules have had these problems. Half of the country absolutely hates the covid restrictions and sees them with utter contempt. Maybe in PR they are popular and accepted (I really have no idea) but in the states which typically vote conservative these rules are seen as an infringement upon liberty. The same complaints about rude nasty confrontations have come from other covid strict states such as New York, Hawaii, California and Michigan. These confrontations seem to be a consequence of choosing to deal with the “rona” by locking people down, mandating masks, controlling people etc. Every state has the right to choose its own way (as long as the constitution is not violated) but nothing can be said or done that will stop people from pushing back against strict coronavirus rules. Even in compliant Europe you have pushback. Still your right to say people should not be rude. Better yet those who hate the lockdowns should avoid travel to places that have embraced that response to the coronavirus.

Old 05-16-2021, 06:57 AM

3,362 posts, read 3,788,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I agree with you that people should be more civil. Rudeness is always an ugly trait. However all states with strict covid rules have had these problems. Half of the country absolutely hates the covid restrictions and sees them with utter contempt. Maybe in PR they are popular and accepted (I really have no idea) but in the states which typically vote conservative these rules are seen as an infringement upon liberty. The same complaints about rude nasty confrontations have come from other covid strict states such as New York, Hawaii, California and Michigan. These confrontations seem to be a consequence of choosing to deal with the “rona” by locking people down, mandating masks, controlling people etc. Every state has the right to choose its own way (as long as the constitution is not violated) but nothing can be said or done that will stop people from pushing back against strict coronavirus rules. Even in compliant Europe you have pushback. Still your right to say people should not be rude. Better yet those who hate the lockdowns should avoid travel to places that have embraced that response to the coronavirus.
Covid has killed many. This is not a matter of rights, freedoms, etc.

I did not write this post with the intention of getting into a political debate. However, the "infringement of liberty" argument shouldn't trump public health. Health issues should not be politicized. I'm here on vacation and have no problem complying with wearing a mask or applying hand sanitizer when/where required. It keeps me and others Covid free. And, even if it didn't keep me Covid free, if the place I am visiting requires me to do so, I will comply. Why? Because that's what the host territory I am visiting is requiring.

That aside, the incivility of some tourists has gotten out of hand. So much so that, in one recent case, the bartenders and other bar employees beat and tossed out several unruly tourists out of their bar.

Word to the wise, when outside of your regular environs, respect the norms and customs of others. If you don't, you run the risk of jeopardizing your safety.

All that aside, this is a great time to visit Puerto Rico. The weather is really nice. The beaches I've visited were not overly crowded. With one exception, restaurant services have been prompt. I love how waitresses here have the habit of calling customers Mi Amor.

Old 05-16-2021, 08:12 AM

1,379 posts, read 598,901 times
My hunch is the ones you describe will not read your posts...
Looking to visit PR soon again. Such a great, beautiful island and people.

Old 05-16-2021, 09:45 AM
mym

679 posts, read 998,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
My hunch is the ones you describe will not read your posts...
lol

Old 05-16-2021, 09:52 AM

8,447 posts, read 9,046,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Covid has killed many. This is not a matter of rights, freedoms, etc.

I did not write this post with the intention of getting into a political debate. However, the "infringement of liberty" argument shouldn't trump public health. Health issues should not be politicized. I'm here on vacation and have no problem complying with wearing a mask or applying hand sanitizer when/where required. It keeps me and others Covid free. And, even if it didn't keep me Covid free, if the place I am visiting requires me to do so, I will comply. Why? Because that's what the host territory I am visiting is requiring.

That aside, the incivility of some tourists has gotten out of hand. So much so that, in one recent case, the bartenders and other bar employees beat and tossed out several unruly tourists out of their bar.

Word to the wise, when outside of your regular environs, respect the norms and customs of others. If you don't, you run the risk of jeopardizing your safety.

All that aside, this is a great time to visit Puerto Rico. The weather is really nice. The beaches I've visited were not overly crowded. With one exception, restaurant services have been prompt. I love how waitresses here have the habit of calling customers Mi Amor.

I had no intention of starting a political debate either. You are entitled to your belief in the rona rules. I was however making the point that a great many people in America disagree with these restrictions and refuse to follow them. Nothing the pro lockdown folks say or do will stop these people from acting defiantly towards these rules. I also believe that states and cities with strict rules have universally faced a lot of conflicts over these policies. What I am saying is that if you live somewhere that has adopted a pro lockdown, pro restrictions approach to the virus that it should be expected that you will have to deal with the inevitable conflicts associated with curbing people’s personal liberties. Americans are not accustomed to these types of controls being put on their behavior and some just will never accept it. I am not defending peoples bad behavior but stating the reality of the situation. As I said before, it is best to avoid traveling to places where the prevailing attitude towards the rona is opposite of your own. Where I live in Tennessee we have had people who support tough restrictions act very badly because we do not have many restrictions here. They confront people not social distancing or wearing masks. They insult our state because we have not done what the stricter states have done. All of this has brought out the worst in people. You say people in PR are fed up with mainland tourists over this. I would bet people in PR don’t like the tourist period. You’ll find the same attitude in Florida beach towns. You find it here in the East Tennessee mountain towns. People living near tourist areas generally don’t like the tourists as many tourists don’t behave themselves. Again this is true everywhere.

Old 05-16-2021, 11:52 AM

1,841 posts, read 4,268,965 times
I finally got to see my parents in April, after 18 months, due to the entire 2020 being a feces year. As such, I chose to make it a bucket list trip for the ages, and do the pilgrimage all the way from my current location in TX, via my small airplane. Something I've wanted to do for decades, and finally pulled the trigger on it. It was an amazing life trip, and incredible sentimental value in reuniting with my folks after a year and a half. Travel log can be found (for those interested in the aviation side of things) here. Scroll to the last post for the PR pics.

The PR state govt admitted the covid self-quarantining policy is impractical to enforce (mere 30% of inbound pax are coming with a covid test), which is why they try to enforce if on the back end. E.g. the destination end, since that's where people are coming for in the first place. Seemed a rational pivot, if I was in the same position as executive officer. I spent time both in San Juan and Aguadilla due to family housing footprint at both.

Aguadilla has grown due to all the fed workers (CBP,USCG,DEA et al) and German worker money (Lufthansa MRO). We even have broadband internet at my late grandmother's old home, which I never thought it would happen in my lifetime LOL. Flirting with the idea of part-year snowbirding in Aguadilla. Long term, once my parents have passed, I don't think I would spend a significant amount of leisure time in the SJU. Too crowded. I see myself spending more time at less crowded beach-proximate areas, but with access to urban conveniences. Aguadilla increasingly fits that bill. I'll probably dabble in some token airline pilot work in my 50s just to take advantage of jumpseat privileges out of BQN back to the East coast. Should make the location easy to access and monitor whatever real estate I decide to patronize.

At any rate, glad to have made the trip (picked April for good caribbean ocean wx for the crossing, and to finish my second pfizer shot the week before, via DOD). Wish I was closer to the east coast, to make the trip via small plane more often. Cheers!

Last edited by hindsight2020; 05-16-2021 at 12:11 PM..

Old 05-16-2021, 12:10 PM
mym

ay bendito. do we ALL live in texas? i moved in three years ago this june.

Old 05-16-2021, 12:59 PM

7,370 posts, read 10,380,740 times
@Hindsight2020: They are all nice views, but the second to last takes the cake!

@Chacho_keva: Arriving and already complaining? For some people the problem is themselves. I can only imagine what the rest of his "vacation" was like. Yikes!

Old 05-16-2021, 01:01 PM
mym

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
I finally got to see my parents in April, after 18 months, due to the entire 2020 being a feces year. As such, I chose to make it a bucket list trip for the ages, and do the pilgrimage all the way from my current location in TX, via my small airplane. Something I've wanted to do for decades, and finally pulled the trigger on it. It was an amazing life trip, and incredible sentimental value in reuniting with my folks after a year and a half. Travel log can be found (for those interested in the aviation side of things) here. Scroll to the last post for the PR pics.

The PR state govt admitted the covid self-quarantining policy is impractical to enforce (mere 30% of inbound pax are coming with a covid test), which is why they try to enforce if on the back end. E.g. the destination end, since that's where people are coming for in the first place. Seemed a rational pivot, if I was in the same position as executive officer. I spent time both in San Juan and Aguadilla due to family housing footprint at both.

Aguadilla has grown due to all the fed workers (CBP,USCG,DEA et al) and German worker money (Lufthansa MRO). We even have broadband internet at my late grandmother's old home, which I never thought it would happen in my lifetime LOL. Flirting with the idea of part-year snowbirding in Aguadilla. Long term, once my parents have passed, I don't think I would spend a significant amount of leisure time in the SJU. Too crowded. I see myself spending more time at less crowded beach-proximate areas, but with access to urban conveniences. Aguadilla increasingly fits that bill. I'll probably dabble in some token airline pilot work in my 50s just to take advantage of jumpseat privileges out of BQN back to the East coast. Should make the location easy to access and monitor whatever real estate I decide to patronize.

At any rate, glad to have made the trip (picked April for good caribbean ocean wx for the crossing, and to finish my second pfizer shot the week before, via DOD). Wish I was closer to the east coast, to make the trip via small plane more often. Cheers!

i just realized you flew all the way. thats impressive. i dont know if id dare do the same (if i could). i saw your flight log ting but theres alot of terms i dont understand. feel like describing the experience here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories