Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2021, 09:51 AM

4 posts, read 9,418 times

Advertisements

How is the econonomy, the job market, tourism, eating out and peoples attitude in general.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2021, 02:23 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
Well, a complete answer will depend on the island. Which island are you referring to or do you want an overview of all three?

Old 02-24-2021, 07:47 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,242,785 times
@ Reine is correct. St Thomas and St Croix are different

Old 02-25-2021, 01:50 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedive View Post
How is the econonomy, the job market, tourism, eating out and peoples attitude in general.
Thanks.
My wife and I honeymooned on St. John in 1991 and we loved it. We stayed at the Grand Hyatt, just converted over from the Virgin Grand. I think it's been through a bunch of iterations, and don't know what shape it's in after the mid-decade hurricanes. We did the usual honeymoon stuff, snorkeled, played tennis, went hiking and went out to eat. One day we took a ferry trip to the British Virgin Islands. We got on different lines to present our passports. One was stamped May 15, the other May 16. I caught this when we were readying for our next vacation. I showed them to my wife and said "we have to talk." Of course, I was joking.

The people were friendly. One who was selling cassette tapes sold me a tape containing a reggae song in Hebrew, and a book called The Rastafarians which I just started. The dining in town was quite good, at the hotel adequate and overpriced. We are still married almost 30 years later so the island must have done its job. The honeymoon that is.

Old 05-26-2021, 01:49 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
One day we took a ferry trip to the British Virgin Islands. We got on different lines to present our passports. One was stamped May 15, the other May 16. I caught this when we were readying for our next vacation. I showed them to my wife and said "we have to talk." Of course, I was joking.

The people were friendly. One who was selling cassette tapes sold me a tape containing a reggae song in Hebrew, and a book called The Rastafarians which I just started. The dining in town was quite good, at the hotel adequate and overpriced. We are still married almost 30 years later so the island must have done its job. The honeymoon that is.
We just passed our 30th anniversary. I was returned to this thread by being repped anonymously. I'd love the repper to tell me if they went to the VI. And a month or two ago I finished reading The Rastafarians by Leonard S. Barrett Sr. (link).

I bought the book on my honeymoon, from the same bookstore that sold me a unique item, a tape by Alpha Blondy, that recorded a reggae song in Hebrew. The book sat on my shelf or in tennis bags for almost 30 years. It is absolutely fascinating. The doctrine was quite foreign and novel to me. I had to overlook much political and religious commentary with which I disagree strongly. I finished it in a three-hour marathon, much of it to the tune of the reggae music of Bob Marley and Toots and the Maytals which the movement spawned. I gave this book a "five" out of "five" on Goodreads, for its novelty and its ability to draw me in. Link to my review on the CD thread What book are you reading?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories