Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 02:43 PM

10,220 posts, read 16,723,438 times

Advertisements

so with tourism spiking and a hotel shortage, the question is, are there new hotels in the pipeline?
Quote:
Puerto Rico: Tru by Hilton Arecibo; Tru by Hilton San Juan Condado (both expected to open in 2023)
https://www.hospitalitynet.org/news/4105428.html renovations https://newsismybusiness.com/tourism...o-rico-hotels/ and it's hard to believe that in this climate they'd demolish the normandie
Quote:
Rep. Ángel Matos García, spokesperson for the Popular Democratic Party in the House of Representatives, presented a measure for the Tourism Office of the Department of Economic Development and Commerce (DDEC) to begin the process of expropriation and demolition of the old Normandie hotel in San Juan.
https://www.theweeklyjournal.com/onl...50e3e1c39.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2021, 06:47 AM

9,780 posts, read 14,616,562 times
Demolishing the Normandie Hotel? That's basically a historic place by now with an ecclectic modern American-style Art Deco influence on its facade. Not to mention the shape of the building which helps make it among the unique on the island and basically in the entire Caribbean. This place needs to be protected and added to one of those official historic lists which would make it impossible to de destroyed.

Destroying that place is simply horrible.

Old 07-14-2021, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Demolishing the Normandie Hotel? That's basically a historic place by now with an ecclectic modern American-style Art Deco influence on its facade. Not to mention the shape of the building which helps make it among the unique on the island and basically in the entire Caribbean. This place needs to be protected and added to one of those official historic lists which would make it impossible to de destroyed.

Destroying that place is simply horrible.
agreed and in an environment of record high revpar and tourism, it doesn't make any sense whatsoever. I don't know if this is a popular PDP position or what but it's a horrendous idea.

https://www.theweeklyjournal.com/onl...3574908e7.html

Last edited by pman; 07-14-2021 at 10:38 AM..

Old 07-14-2021, 05:30 PM
mym

707 posts, read 1,164,268 times
its at the gateway to vsj and it looks atrocious with the graffiti and all. its insulting that whoever lets it stay this way

Old 07-16-2021, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mym View Post
its at the gateway to vsj and it looks atrocious with the graffiti and all. its insulting that whoever lets it stay this way
Quote:
"For this privately owned building... a preliminary proposal for its rehabilitation has been developed for more than a year. This initiative received the conceptual endorsement of the ICP and the approval of the State Office for Historic Preservation, which has already referred it to the corresponding federal authorities in Washington," the Institute explained.
seizing and demolishing it is the same failed ideas that put the island in bankruptcy to begin with. the government does not need to own more property, it cannot care for the property it does own. rather than an archaic proposal to seize and demolish they should be removing obstacles to redevelopment whatever they may be.

Old 07-16-2021, 10:31 AM

9,780 posts, read 14,616,562 times
The Normandie can be rescued, given a nice coat of paint, update whatever needs it on the inside and convert it into something else if necessary (apartments, offices, a mix of apartments/offices. Or turn it into a modern version of a hotel and let some multinational hotel chain manage the property. Maybe dedicate a small museum near the lobby documenting the history of the building and of Art Deco in Puerto Rico. A new pool or pools outside could come in handy, plus beautiful gardens surrounding the building. It's obvious that place has nice views of the San Juan coastline.

It has plenty of potential without having to destroy it.

Old 07-16-2021, 01:29 PM

13,272 posts, read 4,109,814 times
Quote:
The Normandie can be rescued, given a nice coat of paint, update whatever needs it on the inside and convert it into something else if necessary (apartments, offices, a mix of apartments/offices. Or turn it into a modern version of a hotel and let some multinational hotel chain manage the property. Maybe dedicate a small museum near the lobby documenting the history of the building and of Art Deco in Puerto Rico. A new pool or pools outside could come in handy, plus beautiful gardens surrounding the building. It's obvious that place has nice views of the San Juan coastline.

That's a classy hotel. I walked there a lot in my childhood with my friends to go to the Escambron beach. We took the bus to get there. (Comerio bus was fun)

Anything can be rescued. You need investors with money and a good management. Keep the government away from there unless they are giving tax breaks to invest there for the long term. Sadly, the Caribe Hilton used to be the spot decades ago and now it needs a make-over bad it got stuck in the 80's but that's about many things in the island starting with the 3rd world country airport. When I get there I feel I'm in Nicaragua during the Somoza days.

Old 07-21-2021, 09:13 AM

Quote:

completely agree but given there is a shortage of hotel rooms, I'd think hotel makes a lot of sense. they were able to rescue the vanderbilt. it's odd that the PDP would propose this now when there is actually a private proposal for the property making its way through the bureaucracy. the island definitely makes it difficult to succeed.

Old 07-21-2021, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
That's a classy hotel. I walked there a lot in my childhood with my friends to go to the Escambron beach. We took the bus to get there. (Comerio bus was fun)

Anything can be rescued. You need investors with money and a good management. Keep the government away from there unless they are giving tax breaks to invest there for the long term. Sadly, the Caribe Hilton used to be the spot decades ago and now it needs a make-over bad it got stuck in the 80's but that's about many things in the island starting with the 3rd world country airport. When I get there I feel I'm in Nicaragua during the Somoza days.
huh? caribe hilton just got renovated and the airport is much improved from when it was run by the island government. I don't think my bags have been lost since it was privatized (prior to that they'd lose them regularly). covid was obviously a set back but as traffic rises, expect to see more retail investment. the car rental set up is incredibly easy. I'd like to see the hotel renovated but otherwise I don't see any evidence of it being third world. on the whole it's better than Oakland which is slightly busier.

Old 07-22-2021, 01:19 PM

13,272 posts, read 4,109,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
huh? caribe hilton just got renovated and the airport is much improved from when it was run by the island government. I don't think my bags have been lost since it was privatized (prior to that they'd lose them regularly). covid was obviously a set back but as traffic rises, expect to see more retail investment. the car rental set up is incredibly easy. I'd like to see the hotel renovated but otherwise I don't see any evidence of it being third world. on the whole it's better than Oakland which is slightly busier.
Renovated like RENOVATED? or change the furniture put new art frames and put new paint? Last time We stayed there 6 years ago I wasn't impressed. It looked very outdated and it wasn't the spot in the old San Juan anymore but when I go back I will give it a shot and go in person. When I go to Puerto Rico I like better the real Puerto Rico, outside the old San Juan.

I find Gran Melia Hotel in Rio Grande and Fajardo resorts at another level and that's where I would spend my money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories