U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2021, 02:56 PM

529 posts, read 987,114 times

Advertisements

Since the creation of shopping malls in Puerto Rico, towards the end of the 50s, Puerto Ricans have become addicted to this form of shopping. The addiction was like a drug. As more and more shopping malls began to appear overnight destroying the livelihood of small shop owners, more malls were built.

Despite all said, the age of Shopping malls seems to be coming to an end. Many malls in the U.S and Puerto Rico have been abandoned. Since the pandemic people have been shopping more and more on line. Plaza Carolina might be the first mega mall to close in Puerto Rico. It’s main anchor stores , Penny’s and Sears, are going bankrupt. Best Buy the huge electronic store has closed. What is left are small stores that will most likely also close because they won’t be able to afford their rents with out customers.

The Mall of San Juan, has seen many of its high end stores close. Plaza las Americas appears to be holding its own but soon Sears and Penny’s will also close. Macy’s will,probably go the way of the dodo bird as less and less shoppers will doom Plaza. To off set all of this the Fonalleda family, owners of plaza, is beginning to bring in stores like Johns Bargain stores and low end 99 cent stores. Plaza will eventually experience a slow death.
Streaming has also killed off half of the movie goers during the Pandemic. As streaming expands, plazas movie houses will go dark.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2021, 05:34 AM

7,338 posts, read 10,338,379 times
Puerto Rico is facing a one-two-punch that could be influencing mall trends more than whatever trend has been established on the mainland.

One is the aging population. The median age in Puerto Rico is at least 44 years old and that has never been the case. As the average age continues to climb, so too will a change of lifestyle. Generally speaking, going to the mall for shopping or just to hang out and people watch is more of a younger crowd thing.

The other one, and this also affects the aging part of the population, is massive emigration. In parts of Puerto Rico abandoned homes is now more obvious, though most homes are still inhabited. Most of the people that leave are assumed to be young and during the productive years. If more younger people move away relative to what's left behind, the average age of those left behind should increase. Younger people has greater adaptability to new settings due to less habit and/or "set on their ways" yet, unlike older people who already are used to do things a certain way and aren't willing to change and/or incorporate new ways to so things. You ger people can also handle stress better and stress is inevitable even on a local move, much more moving to the other side of the continent.

Lastly is the trend towards online shopping which is not only the most convenient way to shop, but as people get older it substitute activities as going to the local mall.

Except for the massive emigration trend, the other two are in line with the experience on the mainland and there is no change in sight regarding this, at least for the immediate future. Some malls on the mainland are reacting to this change and have moved from its central activity being "shopping" to a "lifestyle center," meaning that shopping is relegated to second place. In that case, a mall is more a place for people to go for entertainment, people watching, a beautiful space to "kill some time" and less emphasis is given to shopping. Of course, being surrounded by shops helps impulse buying since the first thing necessary to do it is exposure, but that isn't the main focus. Malls that will not or can't make the transition towards a lifestyle center appears to be going the way of the dinosaurs.

Old 07-14-2021, 04:37 PM
mym

676 posts, read 995,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Lastly is the trend towards online shopping which is not only the most convenient way to shop
yes im sure. except if you live in PR

Old 07-14-2021, 06:26 PM

4,600 posts, read 7,188,711 times
Most of the malls in the states are empty now, so will the ones in PR . Except it is such a habit for PRicans I find it hard to believe it will follow the trend we are experiencing in continental US.

Old 07-16-2021, 06:33 AM

2,293 posts, read 1,198,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunscape View Post
Most of the malls in the states are empty now, so will the ones in PR . Except it is such a habit for PRicans I find it hard to believe it will follow the trend we are experiencing in continental US.
To say MOST of the malls are empty is incorrect. Even before the Pandemic or increase in E-commerce, there was too much retail space built. So yea there is a fair amount of excess retail space that needs to be repositioned as something else.

Old 07-16-2021, 12:35 PM

2,545 posts, read 541,131 times
Malls are for teenagers. I like to have my orders brought to my door and order from a click of a button but I like Super stores.

Old 07-17-2021, 02:16 PM

19,486 posts, read 8,860,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
Malls are for teenagers. I like to have my orders brought to my door and order from a click of a button but I like Super stores.
Your post made me think of the many times, as a teen, my friends and I would go to Plaza Las Americas

Old 07-18-2021, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Your post made me think of the many times, as a teen, my friends and I would go to Plaza Las Americas
Of course. Great times. Taking the public bus or taking a ride. We fit 10 teenagers in a Mitsubishi Champ and made it to places, it was tight. We used to go with our "corillo" of friends to Plaza Las Americas a lot. There was a famous arcade called "Time Out" and we meet other kids from other places. We used to go a lot to "Discomania" LP store because they carried the largest selection of music especially imports. A few of my friends were into heavy metal and the bought a lot of imports and Discomania had a large selection. It was on the floor in the back corner because they had to no space.

My uncle used to work at the Cookie Bus (early 1981 to 1983) at the Terraza at the mall so he used to give free cookies to the the manager and assistant manager at theater when they made extras cookies and had to throw them away at the end of the shift , so the guys used to let him or me watch movies for free when it was really slow. They had to play the movies even if 1 person bought a ticket on a slow day. I watched lots of movies for free in the early 80's. I couldn't afford the prices anyway. My theater was the $1 movies double feature at the Marti in Hato Rey. They used to play the movies that had come out after 4 to 6 months and then some old movie or a foreign "B" class movie for the second feature. For a dollar that was a bargain.

The funny thing about movies in Puerto Rico it was in English with the subtitles. I love the news they showed before the previews about Puerto Rico and all the events in the island. That was classic. Memories. Plaza Las Americas was the place to meet after the events or concerts across the street from Robert Clemente Coliseum or Hiram Bithorn stadium. We watched a lot of wrestling during that era. The best fights weren't in the ring (those were staged) but on the outside on the bleachers and parking lot and most of the fights were the security people with the fans. They dressed like Fidel's army revolution. It was some 3rd world country stuff. The funny people were the old Puerto Ricans, they took wresting to heart. They thought it was real. When Bruiser Brody (R.I.P got killed in Bayamon, I was there) came out of the locker room to the ring he was attacked by old Puerto Ricans fans. One old guy hit him with a cane. The old man was really old and hit him with his cane on his back and kept swinging at him. Bruiser was a big wrestler so he kept walking. This was wild. The old man had his "guayabera" shirt and hat with a cane. My friends and I were just laughing for a while.

Then Cindy Lauper came in concert on January/3/1987 at the Roberto Clemente (I have still the ticket stub). We were behind the stage. She had to stop the concert several times because people were throwing smoke bombs on the stage and other stuff. It was crazy. You see the Revolution security crew come in a bunch to smack people around with their clubs. This was before the metal detectors at the entrance and a real security crew not some 3rd world country rebel group. It was crazy days. Those days are gone.

Old 07-18-2021, 01:45 PM

19,486 posts, read 8,860,287 times
^^^^Great memories you have. Thanks for sharing.

I'm older than you. When I would go to Plaza Las Americas it was in the late 60s to early 70s. The mall was much smaller then. Before my friend got her drivers license, her mother would drop us off at the mall. Once she got her license, she would pick me up and we would hang out there. Most times we would get some ice cream, then browse the stores. My brother went to a few concerts at Bithorn stadium. One time, he and his friends went to see Sly and the Family Stone. That group was know for showing up late for their concerts. My brother got home really late and my parents were angry with him due to his being so late getting back.

Years later, after my parents had moved back stateside, I visited Plaza Las Americas and was surprised to see how much it had grown. When my daughter was a teen, she loved going there. We went to the food court and found a place where we could get rice and beans. Then, we found a woman who had a cart and was selling cakes. We bought a cake to bring to my cousin who lived (and still lives) in Country Club. She had invited us for a home cooked meal and the cake was dessert.

On our last visit (it's been a long time, I hope to get back again) we all went for my high school reunion. We stayed in a hotel in the Condado and got a cab to take us to Plaza Las Americas. The day we were there, they had local artists and crafters selling their wares. We bought a small painting of a coqui. When we went to get a cab back to the hotel, a man outside asked if we were going back to our cruise ship LOL!

I miss having pastelillos. My favorite ones have queso in them. During our last visit, we walked into a small business on Ashford Avenue and asked if they had them (even though they weren't on the menu). Turns out they did have them.

My Dad was born in Santurce but raised in NYC. He came along with us on a couple of our return visits to PR, which he enjoyed doing.

Old 07-18-2021, 05:05 PM

You must be from my uncle’s group. He graduated from h.s. in 1969 in San Juan. All my brother and sisters graduated in the 80’s. I’m the youngest out of 4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories