U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 05:27 AM

24,671 posts, read 60,652,504 times

Advertisements

My best wishes to you in making your dream a reality. Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 10:24 PM

7,150 posts, read 9,067,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Null...

If either STT or myself has offended you in any way, I apologize for both of us. ...

I hope you know that whether on topic or off, the conversations on a forum often take twists and turns and by allowing a certain amount of that we can glean extra information in decision making ...

I've just seen the attrition rate to the USVI up close and personal ...

Again, no offense intended and I hope none taken. If there's any further info I can help you with, please know that I will do my best.
Sam — thank you for your thoughts ... no offense taken ... no apology required whatsoever. Forum threads seem a bit like a stream: more than water, there’s flora and fauna on the banks, rocks that create the ripples and rapids, and various objects that find their way in and float with the current. All make it interesting. Would kind of suck without. From time to time, however, industrious, well-intentioned beavers take a liking to a particular spot and decide to set up camp which, much as I love beavers, results in a swamp eventually. All we did was just drained a little water to avoid stagnation (breeds mosquitos!). ;-)

Seems to me that being established in any sense: where a person lives, their talents, experiences, whatever, begs pontification when asked questions. Valuing the old adage: “It’s not just What you say — but How you say it”, I try, when donning my own papal mitre, to keep my sermons seasoned with a light touch and humor. Doesn’t always come through, but I try to at least remain civil and reasonably topic-relational. Despite the lack of in-depth responses to my questions regarding construction experiences on SJT, I hope I was successful in at least maintaining civility.

I understand the well-intentioned motivation to warn those outside of “paradise” of the realities within. Been there, done that myself. A few people on this little NW farm island have expressed incredulity that I left Hawaii. I am, after all, an actual paradise-failed “attrition” statistic ;-) In my case, it wasn’t cultural, or expense, or inconvenience, or tourism related — it was simply bad boating. If I leave this near-perfect island, it will be because I am, as I age, struggling some with the near-6-month-long, dark, sopping wet chill. The boating in the V.I. is definitely great. The sun is certainly there year round. But it may well be just too hot. The temps in the V.I. are slightly higher than Hawaii. On the other hand, I lived on the boat at sea-level whereas if I were to set up in STJ I would certainly live high And I am only looking at 6-months a year there. Plenty of time to escape the “rock fever”, etc. What is most critical for me to know is the valuation realities of investing in the island dirt. Part of that is related to construction nuts and bolts. In this thread I have not heard from any builders, other than the blog you recommended, and which I enjoyed. So I guess I will start one more thread relating specifically to the market realities, dollars and cents, R.O.I. As one who bought on STX, you may well have a story to tell me there. I don’t know how long ago you bought and sold in relation to current market trends. I also perceive STJ as being a somewhat different investment from STX or STT.

If you are willing to share more on those lines, please consider my new thread with that R.O.I. topic which I plan to post in the next few days.

Best regards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories