Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2022, 08:12 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,122 times

Advertisements

It's been more than 40 years since I lived in Puerto Rico. Yes, that US Territory which oftentimes makes headlines for what it shouldn't be versus "what it should be."

I was born there and lived there until the day my parents moved to Mainland USA, as many have, "seeking to improve their way of life." Their journey - and mine by extension - was short lived.

After a quick 7 years - having amassed a small but significant fortune - my parents moved us back to PR. As a "youngin,'" I again fell in love with the place of my birth but longed - as they did once - for betterment. I left for the Mainland on my own but a few days before turning 19 and have been here ever since.

Forty-three years have now passed. Yet, deep in my heart, a part of me wants to return to the place of my birth, the island of my youth, the place I still call "home," our beloved Puerto Rico.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_e4r805CX4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2022, 12:09 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,663,483 times
Currently spending a week down here as we speak, tending to my parents while on mil leave. My wife and kiddo spent 30 days this summer making them company. They loved it, and it breaks my heart because it's what I'd prefer the last 20 years would have looked like, but that lost opportunity is water under the bridge.

Alas, we all left for a reason. Puerto Rico has no one but its political class to blame for the economic and taxation policies it pursues in order to favor monied transplants over its dying middle class, forced to emigrate to seek economic prosperity.

If it makes you feel better, many Ricans return home with retirement checks in hand. My grandfather did it in 1967 from the US army, and people like him (myself too a future mil retiree) do it every day. I did the math, and full time residency just doesn't pencil out for me. The island tax policies punish people like me. But that doesn't mean i cant keep a real estate and part year footprint in my home island. It is after all the place my parents have aged in place, and the place that will contain all those memories well after they're gone.

One issue i need to resolve in order to make any sustainable part year plan, is the air travel piece. TX or places north/west of it, is an expensive and lengthy city pair from which to part-year this thing from, but my wife positively hates Florida. When i lived in ATL travel was relatively quick and painless, so i have my eyes set on east TN for empty nester life on the tax front, and see if the wife likes it. Time will tell.

Old 08-17-2022, 12:36 AM

689 posts, read 639,852 times
I empathize. I love PR, but am not Puerto Rican. I look forward to going there again. I live in California. I am considering moving to Atlanta or Dallas just to be closer.

Old 08-17-2022, 11:46 AM

13,452 posts, read 4,289,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
Currently spending a week down here as we speak, tending to my parents while on mil leave. My wife and kiddo spent 30 days this summer making them company. They loved it, and it breaks my heart because it's what I'd prefer the last 20 years would have looked like, but that lost opportunity is water under the bridge.

Alas, we all left for a reason. Puerto Rico has no one but its political class to blame for the economic and taxation policies it pursues in order to favor monied transplants over its dying middle class, forced to emigrate to seek economic prosperity.

If it makes you feel better, many Ricans return home with retirement checks in hand. My grandfather did it in 1967 from the US army, and people like him (myself too a future mil retiree) do it every day. I did the math, and full time residency just doesn't pencil out for me. The island tax policies punish people like me. But that doesn't mean i cant keep a real estate and part year footprint in my home island. It is after all the place my parents have aged in place, and the place that will contain all those memories well after they're gone.

One issue i need to resolve in order to make any sustainable part year plan, is the air travel piece. TX or places north/west of it, is an expensive and lengthy city pair from which to part-year this thing from, but my wife positively hates Florida. When i lived in ATL travel was relatively quick and painless, so i have my eyes set on east TN for empty nester life on the tax front, and see if the wife likes it. Time will tell.

I agree with you 100%. Puerto Rico is a fine place to live if you takeout the elite ruling class and the left wing Banana Republic politics. I feel to survive down there and not get punish for success is to lie on your taxes and have a under ground economy like many do in the island.

I lived in Florida and stationed with the military. Miami=garbage Orlando was nice 30 years ago and now is, well, let's just say I wouldn't move there. I love Florida's Panhandle and that's the only place I would consider moving but I'm used to the North and the mountains and a full 4 seasons.

Old 08-17-2022, 11:50 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,654,415 times
You said a part of you want to return, sounds like you are not 100% sure on returning just yet. What would be hold up, and how do you feel about the place you are living in now.

Old 08-17-2022, 12:45 PM

10,091 posts, read 14,959,511 times
He should answer when he can, but if he has a spouse that could be the source for the hold up. If one spouse is decided to do something and the other spouse isn't and is not willing to compromise, either the relationship breaks and the first spouse does what he wants or the relationship remains while the first spouse gives up the idea of moving to PR. It comes down to what is most important, PR or your relationship.

There are other things as well, but this is probably one of the most common and not much thought about from the outside looking in.

Some of the other things are proximity to family, job, health issues, already have a life made at a certain place among others.

Notice that in none of the situations the desire to move to PR is gone.

Old 08-19-2022, 04:56 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,995,014 times
My Dad was born in PR. When he was a baby, his family moved to NYC where he was raised along with his 3 PR born siblings. The youngest sister was born in NYC. His father (my grandfather) announced after the kids were grown that he was going to move to PR because he wanted to die there. Since he had outlived 2 wives, he could move and that's what he did.

As for my Dad, when we were kids, he started talking about transferring to PR. He and my mother started taking yearly vacations there. They always visited in the dead of winter so, yeah, it's easy to fall in love with PR at that time of year. He also reconnected with extended family who warned them of the pitfalls of life there. My parents just laughed it off. It took about 9 years but his job transfer came through (he worked for the feds). Us kids got to go to school on a military base and we all loved our time at the school. My mother hated PR with a passion. She made it even worse because she refused to adjust to life there. After 4 years in PR, they transferred back to the Mainland.

When my HS graduation rolled around, I headed back to the Mainland for college. As a kid, I could read the writing on the wall regarding job opportunities in PR and realized that I would have a hard time finding work. Since my Dad never spoke Spanish to us kids, we only started learning it in school. As a result, I never reached full fluency. When spoken to in Spanish, I could understand what was being said but speaking it, I spoke haltingly. I've said it before---I wish I could have lived up in the mountains as I would have been immersed in the language.

Sometimes PR tugs at my heart. I loved the weather there and have fond memories of my school days. Thus, I get where the OP is coming from. In fact, I would love to take my grandkids for a visit so that they can meet their cousins there and experience some good comida criolla.

Chaco_keva --- I get where you're coming from. It's where you were born and spent most of your childhood. Have you thought about renting a furnished condo for a month or two (If that's even feasible for you) and just living like a local? That way you can figure out how you feel dealing with day-to-day life.

Old 08-19-2022, 05:10 PM
mym

706 posts, read 1,170,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
He should answer when he can, but if he has a spouse that could be the source for the hold up. If one spouse is decided to do something and the other spouse isn't and is not willing to compromise, either the relationship breaks and the first spouse does what he wants or the relationship remains while the first spouse gives up the idea of moving to PR. It comes down to what is most important, PR or your relationship.

There are other things as well, but this is probably one of the most common and not much thought about from the outside looking in.

Some of the other things are proximity to family, job, health issues, already have a life made at a certain place among others.

Notice that in none of the situations the desire to move to PR is gone.
its like you found my letters and read each one out loud

for real tho living in pr is hard for people whoarent used to hardships.

Old 08-20-2022, 07:56 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Chaco_keva --- I get where you're coming from. It's where you were born and spent most of your childhood. Have you thought about renting a furnished condo for a month or two (If that's even feasible for you) and just living like a local? That way you can figure out how you feel dealing with day-to-day life.
Thank you for sharing your memories and thoughts. And yes, renting an AirB&B for a month or more in PR is something I have given thought to upon my retirement which is not far away.

Prior to the pandemic, I was visiting PR twice per year, up to 9 days at a time. When I'm there, I feel like I never left. I still bump into old friends and acquaintances. In addition, I have a considerable amount of family who reside in PR and refuse to leave no matter how difficult life can at times be. They barely complain. As those family members are quick to say . . . "se brega con la que hay." In addition, those who refuse to leave, live well. They get together frequently for the smallest reason to enjoy life with each other. And that is something I severely lack.

Thank you

Old 08-20-2022, 01:33 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,995,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Thank you for sharing your memories and thoughts. And yes, renting an AirB&B for a month or more in PR is something I have given thought to upon my retirement which is not far away.

Prior to the pandemic, I was visiting PR twice per year, up to 9 days at a time. When I'm there, I feel like I never left. I still bump into old friends and acquaintances. In addition, I have a considerable amount of family who reside in PR and refuse to leave no matter how difficult life can at times be. They barely complain. As those family members are quick to say . . . "se brega con la que hay." In addition, those who refuse to leave, live well. They get together frequently for the smallest reason to enjoy life with each other. And that is something I severely lack.

Thank you
You're welcome! I have some family on the Island who refuse to leave no matter how bad life gets. One cousin, who is in her 80s and freely admits to the disadvantages of living on the Island, often visits her daughter in FL. Her daughter has tried to get her to move stateside but the answer is always "no". At least the cousin still has another daughter living on the Island. I hope to go visit my cousin as she is our favorite relative. Plus, she always invites us to dinner for some comida criolla and we reciprocate by taking her out to dinner a few times. So...I understand where your family members are coming from.

That's the nice thing about visiting "home" --- it always feels so right and yes, it's like you never left. Even though I didn't live in PR very long, that song "En Mi Viejo San Juan" always gets me choked up.

It's good that the option of renting an AirBnB for a while is a feasible option for you. Plus you still have time to make your decision.

Thank you for starting this thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories