U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 08:47 AM

210 posts, read 1,075,463 times

Advertisements

As a person from the U.S I found that Puertoricans on the island were very nice and polite. Obviously that might not hold true for the entire island but we didn't have any problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 08:25 AM

428 posts, read 1,265,261 times
amploud, can you tell us what was so bad?? no offense tanken. I know there are many things wrong in PR.

However, and in fairness, was there anything good? Cause there are....

Will appreciate your comments.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:56 PM

8 posts, read 54,293 times
If you make or repair machines or tools, you will be fine, you can also look into opening up your own machine repair shop.

Because money is tight here, everybody repairs their stuff. you only buy new, when you absolutely cannot repair it again! LOL!

I say go for it! Live your dream! You only live once! I did it and it worked for me!

Old 07-27-2008, 05:15 PM

86 posts, read 377,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
Hello, I've never been to PR, but I've seen pics, and it seems to be one of the most beautiful places on Earth. I'm a blue collar machinist by trade, and have also drove taxi for several years before that. Every now and then I get an urge to up and leave Pennsylvania for "greener pastures", and Puerto Rico is on my short list of places I'd think I'd like to live. The problem is I'm not college educated, so if I did move there I'd have to work in the hospitality field, or drive cab, or find work as a machinist. Do you have to be filthy rich to live a decent life down there? Or can an average guy like myself make it? I'm not expecting to live in a 5 million dollar condo overlooking the ocean, but I don't want to live in the slums, with no running water either! Can anyone help me out?
If you have an urge to leave PA then you must follow your instincts. My father arrived to Puerto Rico in the late 60's and at the time his skills were welcomed in the industry there. He married there and raised us there as well. He now lives in WA ( retired). The island of Puerto Rico is not longer the paradise he met when he first arrived. It is definetely beautiful in a lot of areas and the people are very friendly but the economic situation is not good right now there.
You should visit first and decide if that is what you want. Or what about going to college there? There are programs geared for working adults and completely in English. You have to live poor like a student and make some extra money tutoring English on the meantime.
Good luck wherever you decide to go..

Last edited by bellabella2; 07-27-2008 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: wrong date

Old 08-01-2008, 08:18 PM

582 posts, read 1,855,248 times
The economy is bad everywhere.If you go to puerto rico and meet the right people, work hard, be a stand up citizen you will be fine.I lived there many years and made $200 to $300 a week and lived fine.I"m in boston know making $75000 a year and up to my neck with my mortgage payment, bills, taxes and barely making it.Oh! and my wife works as well but we are still in the hole. If i could sell my home and start over in puerto rico i would do it in a heartbeat. Don't thinkl i'm just saying that! i would move right know. The ones saying it's bad over there are the ones that either grew up in the states and can't get accustomed to living there or get caught up in all the rumors about how bad crime is there.They should be looking at this country there's more crime here than anywhere in the world.Look at how many children are missing in puerto rico.Then look at how mant disappear here every 10 to 15 minutes. Life is what you want it to be, you go there do the right thing you will be fine.You go there asking for trouble and associate with the wrong crowd and we all know what is going to happen.My in laws have lived there their whole lives and would never move here.They live healthy lives there with no problems whatsoever.Trust me no problems whatsoever.You make the atmosphere,just live life the way it's suppose to be lived and everything else will take care of itself. Adios Amigos.Oh! check out gotopuertorico.com

Old 08-03-2008, 08:39 PM

86 posts, read 377,422 times
Default Hey...FLBurgos...

I don't think is as easy as you say it is. I still have family there in the island. I too grew up in a good family, college educated folks and life was for the most part on high alert. It was not paradise as you paint it.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:04 AM

41 posts, read 186,937 times
yeah, FLBURGOS i think you have not visited PR in ten years or so try to live up there with 300.00 a week now. I agree in part that if you try to make your surroundings for the best they will be but I have lived there all my life in good neighborhoods and even today if you just mind your own business crime and the economy will catch up and make your life miserable. Thats why I decided to move and I still have all my family there as well. see ya!! GATO

Old 08-04-2008, 07:53 AM

68 posts, read 211,434 times
More than just money, my financial situation in PR was fine, life in PR had me on edge. I was always in attack or defense mode. The only time I ever really felt at peace was when I was at home alone(in a very well situated home I might add. Choose poorly like I did my first year and you won't even feel at peace in your home) or out in the ocean with no one else around.

All too often I felt like people were looking to start a fight or yell at somebody. Quite simply, the frustration level in Puerto Rico is just too high for me to deal with. Everyone is frustrated about something and that leads to a hostile environment.

There are of course pockets of sanity, but those pockets are so small that one will always have to travel outside of them to get basic needs met.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:41 AM

210 posts, read 917,666 times
I love Puerto Rico, LOVE the people, love the island, very warm, we go to Culebra and San Juan 3-4 times a year. BUT you have to speak Spanish if you want to live and work there-thats the language. you have to learn it before moving. thats why we are not going-we dont speak spanish.
you should go and visit and see for yourself.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:29 PM

582 posts, read 1,855,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gato2 View Post
yeah, FLBURGOS i think you have not visited PR in ten years or so try to live up there with 300.00 a week now. I agree in part that if you try to make your surroundings for the best they will be but I have lived there all my life in good neighborhoods and even today if you just mind your own business crime and the economy will catch up and make your life miserable. Thats why I decided to move and I still have all my family there as well. see ya!! GATO
Brother there is crime everywhere!Like i said life is what you make it to be if you get caught in all that hoopla about crime you won't be happy anywhere.Mind your own business and live the way you want to live.I am the type of person that is good on picking my spots.If i see garbage close by i walk away and move on.I do it here all the time even though i live in a decent area.I remember traveling to maunabo to see my grandmother on weekends and it was the most peaceful time in my life.I met good humble people and never had a problem.We went to the beach,ate chillo with tostones,hung out on my grandma's balcon in the afternoon with a cold beer and watch the sunset.I could never dream of doing that here.I can't find a beach here in mass that doesn't have rocks everywhere to start off.The other 2 i might find, but not the beach.Money was never a problem we both worked and always had the basics and a little more.Here i have to poney up 200-300 just to take my kids out to an amusement park and when winter comes the spending doubles.You're locked in your home for 5-6 months of the year and that's very depressing.I can't wait to go to the parguera and eat a nice plate of ensalada de carrucho with tostones and a salad.Then go jet skiing the next morning at playa santa and take the tour through the beautiful mangles in the southwest part of the island.If anyone is traveling over there send me a private message and i can send you to some real nice areas where you won't experience any of the garbage that's spoken about puerto rico on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories