U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 08:51 AM

8 posts, read 54,291 times

Advertisements

dp

Last edited by Ocean breeze; 08-10-2008 at 09:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 01:18 PM

3 posts, read 7,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
My wife and I just spent a week of "vacation" in the island ghetto known as Puerto Rico. Never again.

Visit first. You'll change your mind.

Island ghetto town, how sad....funny the mindframe that people go on vacation. If people did not go with a superiority attitude and actually made an effort to leave the resorts and mingle with the locals, maybe they would have a different experience. As if in the USA there are no ghettos. I am not Boricua and I am not American, but believe that I have seen ghettos in USA that reminded me of war zones, so run down that they were. I had a fantastic time in PR and I can happily say that I returned on 3 different occasions.

Telmo
[mod]edit[/mod]

Last edited by Sam I Am; 09-11-2008 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: no advertising or tag lines

Old 09-10-2008, 07:20 PM

345 posts, read 1,155,373 times
blue collar gringo? I never lived in PR but i have had TONS of puerto rican friends and they were alllll awesome. They taught me spanish over beers at the bars in st. john and i worked with them every day at the construction site, and they fixed my cars and watched my back at night. I think puerto ricans are the coolest people in the whole caribbean, next to domanicans(sp?)

PR should be the 51st state of the Union. 48ers will have more in common with puerto ricans than anyone else in the caribbean.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:59 AM

1,435 posts, read 3,636,906 times
Quote:
Hello, I've never been to PR, but I've seen pics, and it seems to be one of the most beautiful places on Earth. I'm a blue collar machinist by trade, and have also drove taxi for several years before that. Every now and then I get an urge to up and leave Pennsylvania for "greener pastures", and Puerto Rico is on my short list of places I'd think I'd like to live.
You consider Puerto Rico to be greener pastures. What are you smoking crack, Puerto Rico ain't no freaking land of opportunity that's for sure. Why do you think there are more Puerto Ricans living in the U.S than there are in Puerto Rico.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,490 times
I've been to Puerto Rico at least 10 times over the last few years. Puerto Rico is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. I think Puerto Rico has A LOT greener pastures than PA has. The US is all about money, and working your life a way to get it. Puerto Rico for the most part is not like that. The guy who said he went on vacation to the ghetto island OBVIOUSLY did not ever leave his hotel or the tourist driven San Juan. One thing you have to realize is that the majority of the Puerto Rican people only work to supply themselves with the essentials. Generally, their houses are small and not lavish. They spend their lives with their family and friends instead of working two jobs with their kids in day care to pay for the new SUV and McMasion. Are their more economical opportunities in the states? Of course, look at the size difference. Although, there is A LOT of industry on the island. Unilevel, lutron and J&J in Las Piedras,PR alone. HP has a plant in aguadilla. Johnson Controls has plants all over the island. Their are pharm. companies all over the island also. Most of these companies are American owned and managed. Bilingual is a requirement though. I plan to move to PR in the next few years. I am building a small two bedroom house powered by solar and wind, solar hot water(all excellent on the island) on a two cuerda lot(about two acres) where there are more bananas, plantains, bread fruit, oranges, limons, limes etc than you can eat! My fiance was born and raised there, so it is a little easier for me to make the transition. Anywhere on the island you are not more than 15 miles from the beach.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:52 PM

177 posts, read 883,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewgodspeed View Post
... Anywhere on the island you are not more than 15 miles from the beach.
LOL, whatever I enter into my GPS is about 10 to 15 minutes away, but somehow it always takes 30 to 60 minutes to get there At least this is true of SJ

Old 01-13-2009, 08:09 PM

4 posts, read 7,385 times
Quote:
My wife and I just spent a week of "vacation" in the island ghetto known as Puerto Rico. Never again.

then you don't have a true appreciation of the Island. You sound arrogant to me!
I've spent every Christmas and New Years there for the last 10 years. you must have been in the "wrong location". Too bad for you.

try staying in the rain forest. it's beautiful!!

rainforestinn.com

Old 01-15-2009, 05:50 AM

177 posts, read 883,327 times
Quote:

Too bad that you make such a statement. Have you ever been to other Carib islands (outside of all inclusive resorts)? How do these compare to PR? I have been, and PR is a much better off place than many of the places I have been to. Also, I am not sure how much traveling have you done within the mainland USA. Personally, I visited many states by car and there are places in the great land of USA that closely resemble third world country. Of course one would make a mistake by judging the entirety of USA based on some of these areas. If you have traveled to Europe, then you will see that off the beaten path you will find places that look nothing like the postcards people send home.

Of course things are relative so perhaps you can explain which specific area you have visited and from which region you came from to vacation in PR.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:29 PM

19,599 posts, read 20,385,686 times
I spent a year in PR, Ponce to be exact. never before in the CONUS have I have been ever been stopped by NG raiding a apartment (barrio) with Machine guns. Complex was shut down for weeks with Humvees guarding all entrances with 50 cal machine guns pointing at us. Lot's of other stories to tell.

But, in all, it was a good experience that I would not want to go through again. Did make some good people.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:37 AM

2,920 posts, read 9,050,150 times
To the original poster, I say go for it. Why? Because nowadays you can telecommute from home. You can do data entry, cutomers service, billing, whatever-all from home on the computer. You wouldn't earn a ton but you would make enough to get by.

However, you should know Spanish before you go in order to be happy and have meaningful interactions with the locals and to integrate yourself into the area.

You only live once and if it doesn't work out PA will always be there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories