Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2022, 03:58 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times

Advertisements

Is it me, or are most new appliances in Puerto Rico now imported from outside the US? My grandparents new oven and refrigerator have temperatures in Celsius, and their microwave has a 24-hour clock.

Has anyone noticed this in the past year or two? Blame COVID?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2022, 09:49 PM

13,461 posts, read 4,295,282 times
Change it in the settings. What's the brand? It would explain how the settings comes from the factory. Puerto Rico gets their appliances from the U.S. market. National chain or local dealer.

Old 12-25-2022, 08:58 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,035,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Is it me, or are most new appliances in Puerto Rico now imported from outside the US? My grandparents new oven and refrigerator have temperatures in Celsius, and their microwave has a 24-hour clock.

Has anyone noticed this in the past year or two? Blame COVID?
Back in 2011, the propane tank-powered stove I had said it was made in Guyana of all places. While the supply chain with the US is fairly tight and comprehensive, I would notice some different products you wouldn't see in the Mainland. Any idea where these appliances came from?

Old 12-25-2022, 10:00 AM

10,107 posts, read 14,972,719 times
Puerto Rico gets some products from neighboring Dominican Republic, which everybody knows run on celsius. At least that has always been the case with furniture. In general appliances aren't made in the DR, but some are so take that into consideration.

This is one of the Dominican companies that export to PR (not appliances.)

Notice Puerto Rico appears first in the list (click here)

Stuff they make and is exported to PR too:

Furniture

They carry three brands but their representation of Simmons is not for PR, they export to PR their two Dominican brands of mattresses.

They have appliances lines, but they don't make those. In fact, one of them I think is from El Salvador and all stoves, refrigerators, etc in that line are imported from there. Highly unlikely they re-export those appliances to PR.

In this video (in Spanish) the owner of the company mentions PR as one of the export markets at 1:45 +/-. In fact, he says PR is (or was at the time, probably still is but the video is 7 years old) that PR is their biggest export market.

https://youtu.be/AVFsmtp5GDg

Also, a few years ago the USA, several countries in Central America, and the Dom Rep signed the DR-CAFTA which is a free trade agreement among all the countries involved. It basically reduces and eliminate import duties on many products produced in those countries exported to countries in this agreement. Puerto Rico benefits from this agreement too because of its ties to the USA, so expect to see many more products at a cheaper price (doesn't necessarily means things will be cheap, just cheaper than they used to) from Central America and the DR in PR stores in addition to PR products in those places too.

Old 12-27-2022, 09:36 PM

13,461 posts, read 4,295,282 times
Food makes sense but not appliances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories