Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which result seems better?
Statehood - PR gets richer, but becomes majority non-hispanic Americans and immigrants, PRS become minority in their own island 5 50.00%
Independence - PR gets poorer, may be temporary, but PR remains majority ethnically and culturally Puerto Rican 5 50.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2023, 07:13 PM

13,442 posts, read 4,283,969 times

Advertisements

The only beating I got in school was cutting class or getting an F in the report card and that only happened in elementary school. No teacher was dumb enough to try that in middle or high school, they would get a beating from the student in front of the class. Tritone is a comedian. Spanish "legally' banned. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2023, 07:26 PM

20 posts, read 17,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
LOL. Banning languages in SCHOOLS of learning is the dumbest thing I heard especially in a global economy and trade of today. That's like banning numbers in math. LOL

If Spanish is a right to learn in the New Mexico constitution what federal statue said that banning Spanish in public schools was the ultimate law?

Tritone stop! You take comedy too far. You couldn't stop speaking Spanish in the biggest state in the Union, California, since most of the names of the towns are in Spanish. How are you going to stop Puerto Rico from speaking Spanish in public? Give them a federal tax punishment?

"You speak 1 word of Spanish, at it will be a $100 fine for the 1st offense. You get caught for the 2nd time, $500, then $1,000 and so on. You will be jail for 30 days if you don't stop." LOL. This will be like the movie 1984. The Federal English Only Swat Patrol will be enforcing the mandate. They will force muzzle on people to prevent them from speaking Spanish. It will come in all sizes and colors.

Thanks for the laugh. You made this Puerto Rican laugh hard. I didn't know somebody could have a deep imagination.
Even though USA doesn't have an official language. English is the "unofficial official language", it's the language of government, the default language of documents etc etc. The politicians, entertainers etc speak english in the professional setting. USA has a history of enforcing the english, though it's unlikely they'll do that in the modern day. But they won't have to force the change, it will happen naturally. Once Puerto Rico becomes a state, it would gain so much attention and spotlight as it gets touted as "a Caribbean paradise for well-off Americans", and would be seen as "more apart of America" by the large portion of the American population who currently think PR isnt apart of the US. The attention, would bring up demand, which would then bring up rents and cost of living even much higher than what it is currently, then Puerto Ricans get priced out of their own island to go to cheaper states. The "island-wide gentrification" we are seeing now will SHARPLY ACCELERATE once statehood is granted.

Old 08-09-2023, 08:46 PM

10,067 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ES193 View Post
Even though USA doesn't have an official language. English is the "unofficial official language", it's the language of government, the default language of documents etc etc.
The USA doesn't have an official language, but many states do and in quite a few more than one. I can see Puerto Rico becoming a state with two official languages. Isn't English already the other official language of PR?

Even applying for a driver's license can be done in multiple languages (in many states), Spanish among them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES193
The politicians, entertainers etc speak english in the professional setting.
With the politicians that is because most people (especially their voters) speak English and that is the only language they speak. Most of the politicians themselves only speak English. Can't expect a monolingual to speak in any other language than the one he knows. lol

But when a politician knows Spanish and they are in a political rally where Hispanics are the majority (happens a lot in places like Miami), guess in what language they speak?

With entertainers, any Hispanic person is aware that Telemundo and Univision are based in the USA, despite everything they do is in Spanish. The same with several newspapers in various areas of the USA, Spanish is on everything from cover to cover. Spanish-language radio stations are found in all the major US cities and they too are American entertainment. It may not be mainstream US entertainment, but those are US entertainments too. They are like BET, which isn't consumed by most Americans yet they are as much American entertainment as what is seen on ABC, CBS, etc.

There are also several US based magazines that are in Spanish only and a few others that have a Spanish version (usually the title is whatever the magazine followed by "en español".)

PS. To me whether PR becomes a state or becomes independent is irrelevant in part because I think PR will be OK whichever route it takes, just more prosperous as one than the other. With that said, I think everything I said in this post needed to be said, so that's that.

PS2. I forgot to say that when you call US government institutions, whether they are at the federal or state level, the famous "Para en español presione el 2" is very common. lol

Last edited by AntonioR; 08-09-2023 at 09:08 PM..

Old 08-09-2023, 08:53 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,662,597 times
Chicken and the egg. The history of the last 5 states is relevant to understand the dynamics necessary for PR annexation, most particularly for me the case study of my wife's native state (the 46th).

To wit, first anglo whites have to prize something and crowd it, then the legitimacy of a jurisdiction is acknowledged with statehood. Never the other way around, certainly for 3 of the last 5 from where I sit. This isn't complicated, though admittedly antagonizing for a certain cohort of anglos to hear.

PR had too long and entrenched a criollo history stemming from 500 years of prior Spanish colonization, something the war acquisition couldn't really curb in the way the Hawaiians were by comparison. Well, that and the happenstance of greater geopolitical value of the latter during the mid-late 20th century.

So if I were a betting man, PR will remain a rank tax cheat haven for the crytpo bros and their ever evolving iteration depending on the decade in question. The island will continue to export/brain-drain their skilled and educated middle class to the contiguous 48, and the remainers not belonging to either aforementioned, will continue to live in relative poverty and second class citizenship. Statehood is not likely within that framework.

On a personal level, my parents will likely die in place in the island, and at this juncture in their lives that is probably how it should be. I'll likely retain some real estate footprint down there if for nothing else, the nostalgia of remembering the place that saw me born and grow up . But absent my parents on this Earth, I'd probably have little reason to re-make my life down there, given my own filial responsibilities now up here.

As a matter of principle I don't agree with ELA. Even an independent so-called Country who would invariably end up a client state of the US, even that would garner more respect in principle for me than the arroz con salchicha that is ELA in present circumstances. Muñoz Marín left a generational mess with his turncoat ways.

Old 08-09-2023, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES193 View Post
Even though USA doesn't have an official language. English is the "unofficial official language", it's the language of government, the default language of documents etc etc. The politicians, entertainers etc speak english in the professional setting. USA has a history of enforcing the english, though it's unlikely they'll do that in the modern day. But they won't have to force the change, it will happen naturally. Once Puerto Rico becomes a state, it would gain so much attention and spotlight as it gets touted as "a Caribbean paradise for well-off Americans", and would be seen as "more apart of America" by the large portion of the American population who currently think PR isnt apart of the US. The attention, would bring up demand, which would then bring up rents and cost of living even much higher than what it is currently, then Puerto Ricans get priced out of their own island to go to cheaper states. The "island-wide gentrification" we are seeing now will SHARPLY ACCELERATE once statehood is granted.
English is already the official language in the federal government agencies and federal courts in P.R. Explain again how does that translate to the public schools in the island only speaking English and how is that going to be enforced by the Feds?

Entertainers are not public government employees.They are private and they will speak whatever is the demand by the public who pays them since the official language in capitalism is green $$$$$$ and if there is a demand for Spanglish then there will be Spanglish in the entertainment business in Puerto Rico.

When the standard of living goes up and wages goes up then the cost of living goes up. That's not exclusively for Puerto Rico becoming a state but everyplace in the world. The market will decide the cost of living in Puerto Rico according to many factors that the global market controls to the local taxes and regulations set by the people elected in Puerto Rico.

You mean to tell me that after 125 years being under the U.S. flag that Americans in the mainland will all of the sudden discover Puerto Rico as a destination for vacation in the Caribbean and they don't need a passport? ok

The population of P.R. today is 3.3 million people in a 130 x 35 mile island. It's a little bigger than Rhode Island (1.1 million) but smaller than Connecticut (3.6 million). There isn't any space in the island for this massive wave of immigration from white people from the mainland that you are using as a scare tactic. Even if you give free food away and offer low taxes to come. There isn't much space to change the outlook of the population. The numbers doesn't add up. Even if you can bring 1 million which is an outrage number that is 3 million to 1 in a very very tight island. The 3 will absorb the 1 and the 1 will become more Puerto Rican than Anglo in time.

There isn't a drastic change from territory to statehood. It will be a smoother transition than some predict.

Last edited by SanJuanStar; 08-09-2023 at 09:38 PM..

Old 08-09-2023, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
\

Even applying for a driver's license can be done in multiple languages (in many states), Spanish among them.

It's already done in my state and the majority are whites. The particular state I live in, they encourage to learn and speak Spanish, it helps their expansion of their huge faith organization in Latin America.

Hell, last time I was in East Los Angeles, I didn't see a white person for days. Every food service I went to all the employees where Spanish speaker first. They greeted me in Spanish and took our orders in Spanish.

I think the Puerto Rico public education needs to be reform (I say that to the U.S. one also) but prohibiting Spanish is not the answer and the Feds aren't reforming it either by prohibiting free speech.

Old 04-07-2024, 08:31 AM
Status: "Virtue is more to be feared than vice," (set 13 days ago)

14 posts, read 6,446 times
I detect xenophobia among PR inhabitants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories