U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 01:15 PM

30 posts, read 72,906 times

Advertisements

Yo im a puerto rican and i live in Boston I speak english and spanish and i might be staying in PR for like a year or 2 ive been there 5 times but no longer than 2 weeks but this will be my longest stay and i was wondering a few things.

1. What areas are the most dangerous? I'm gonna be around the San Juan area I think Carolina. I'm fine if im in a high crime area cuz where i live in boston theres murders everyday but ive heard stories of people doing drive bys with AK-47 and taking out like 5 people at once in PR is the crime really that bad? I know 99% of crime is from gangs and drugs but i just wanna know anyway

2. I know the weather is hot and humid all year round and i love and i know theres hurricanes. Most the time ive been in PR there would just be sunny and a few rain showers that last like 5minutes but do is there ever any lightning or tornadoes in PR?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 06:44 PM

10 posts, read 63,852 times
We do get thunder/lightening from time to time, but not too often. Tornadoes? Never heard of one in the 5 years we've lived here.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:00 PM

7,732 posts, read 8,779,363 times
1) Crime in Puerto Rico is high, I believe it has the highest crime rate in the US. Yes, most of it is drug and gang related but innocent people are occasionally caught in the crossfire or attacked in cases of mistaken identity.

What other state or territory has 30 people murdered in the first 2 weeks of the year? None that I know of.

Unless you go wandering into a high crime area (ex. the public housing projects in the San Juan metro area) I am almost 100% sure you will be fine.

2) Tornados? I have never heard of one. Hurricanes however do occur as do thunder and lighting.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:59 PM

3 posts, read 10,635 times
Well for what I know San Juan and the metrpolitan area is very high in crime. I dont recommend San Juan at all, but there crime everyday everywhere just have to be careful. One thing I would recommend try to void going out by yourself. US is a big territory and is expected to have crime, but at the least the law get respected here not in PR. Just be carefull and be aware of your sorrounders

Old 07-17-2008, 02:15 AM

398 posts, read 1,228,308 times
Thats crazy.I left PR in 95'.Visit all the time though.I'm moving to Boston or NY,cause I can make Bay Area money out there.Im out to get paid!!!!!Good luck in PR,It's a fun place.Just know where you should and shouldn't go. Peace Bori.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:04 PM

iight thanx for the replys. im fine living in a high crime area it dosn't faze me I see people get shot alot here in Boston its everywhere the only thing im afraid of is automatic weapons.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjRey View Post
Thats crazy.I left PR in 95'.Visit all the time though.I'm moving to Boston or NY,cause I can make Bay Area money out there.Im out to get paid!!!!!Good luck in PR,It's a fun place.Just know where you should and shouldn't go. Peace Bori.

Thanx man for the reply ill be back in Boston in a few years.

Boston is great if your frum PR theres alot of people from PR and Brazil in Boston. Hot PR and Brasilian girls jaja. The only thing I hate is the weather its cold in Boston from October-May but the summer is fine weather and get used to snow.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:18 PM

146 posts, read 405,791 times
My daughter and I went to PR this last April for a week, and loved it! We stayed in Carolina, a block from the beaches, and met very friendly people there. My daughter took surfing lessons, and we rented a car for the week (not really necessary, we realize now), and travelled all over - to Old San Juan, over to the NE coast for horse back riding, up to the radiotelescope, to the rain forests! Yeah, traffic reminded me of Boston!

It was supposed to rain every day we were there, but the only day it really did was the day my daughter took the surfing lessons, and that was just a shower or two.

I highly recommend Puerto Rico!

Old 07-18-2008, 01:36 PM

68 posts, read 211,398 times
Usually the weather reports claim rain every day. This means rain in the afternoon. You don't really need to be a rocket scientist(or a meteorologist for that matter) to predict the weather in PR.

I lived in PR for 2 years and while there is high crime I never experienced or saw anything. I stay away from shady areas but I have been out and even lost late at night and never had a problem. If you have a good head on your shoulders and don't go looking for trouble you can avoid a lot of it.

I had my own issues with Puerto Rico that may be similar to ones you might have. You might want to do a search on some of the other threads.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:51 AM

41 posts, read 186,908 times
Hi, I lived in PR all my life and reallyhad nothing happened to me as long as you go there with your mind set to get a job and do something for your self you will be al right. Only the people who go there thinking its safe to make a living by selling drugs and on the fast lane think twice because it has changed a lot. It doesn't matter if you come from a high crime area in Boston you may never predict Puertoricans in the island since the ones who live out there they are different from the ones in PR.
good luck Gato!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories