Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 10:31 AM

244 posts, read 865,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by induhvidual View Post
MAXIMUM ISLAND PART 2

Reality check please.
You will meet even more rude, arrogant, blatantly racist and obnoxious people.
Yes, we appear to be a bit abrasive to those who aren't accustomed to our style of communicating.

Quote:
You will begin to greet every passerby with a smile lest they accuse you of being rude and not liking "black people"
Yes, some of us can be a bit paranoid and as a people, we are generally wary of foreigners. I think you will find the same type of mentality no matter where you visit and among all the races. There are white people who feel the same way about blacks. Hispanics who feel this way about whites, etc... This is not unique to the Caribbean.

Quote:
"Go back home yankee"
Honestly, I have heard people say that here in Georgia. Intolerance is universal.

Quote:
If you go downtown, you are sure to be accosted by sleazy/very scary and definitely dangerous types who will want to sell you crack cocaine or any candy that you desire. And cheap too.
I'm sure I could find a corner here in the US where I would find this same type of person trying to sell me the same things. Drug activity is also universal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 10:34 AM

244 posts, read 865,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairbanks101 View Post
They will learn. I left my home in the virgin islands for Fairbanks, Alaska. I'm one of THOSE people now.
What is it about Alaska? My whole family picked up and moved to Alaska too. I lived there for about 6 months before I joined the Army. I loved it there but my Mom hates it. She can't stand the cold. The "summers" are wonderful though.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:30 PM

501 posts, read 1,429,649 times
Quote:
MAXIMUM ISLAND PART 2
Reality check please.
You will meet even more rude, arrogant, blatantly racist and obnoxious people.
You will begin to doubt yourself and your sanity
You will begin to greet every passerby with a smile lest they accuse you of being rude and not liking "black people"
"Him deh don like we black folks yknow"
"Go back home yankee"
Any arguement with a native ends with a "I bawn hare" (I was born here and I am superior to you, Mr outsider. Your are now on my island and will play according to my rules)
Welcome to the bizzare world of the Virgin Islands
*stares* *blinks* O.o Um.. A lot of what you said can be said for any part of the world. And a lot of what you said can't be applied for everyone either. There's a lot of nice friendly people in the Virgin Islands. Although, my experience only stems from when I was little when visiting St. Thomas (and later, St. John when I got a bit older). I recall warmth and the laid back feelings that you can equally find in Jamaica.

Sure, the islands may have some problems but so does any other community on the face of this planet.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:56 PM

345 posts, read 1,277,434 times
Quote:
Then pass my message on to your friends.
I try to keep it real and not sugar coated.
Also, check out my pics of the VI; No sandy beaches and palm trees there but life seen thru the eyes of a islander
yeah, the real VI is 3 blocks behind the green house in a santos bar where they sell coke and shoot you in the back if you "look like you dont belong there"

Old 09-16-2008, 05:14 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairbanks101 View Post
yeah, the real VI is 3 blocks behind the green house in a santos bar where they sell coke and shoot you in the back if you "look like you dont belong there"
So one must presume that since you obviously didn't get shot in the back you had no problem fitting in there?

Old 09-16-2008, 09:23 AM

286 posts, read 1,082,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Memory View Post
* Although, my experience only stems from when I was little when visiting St. Thomas .
Thanks for clarifying, my experience is from "the total immersion experience"
I spent 10 years 3 months 18 days and 6.5 hours on the rock, commuting no more than once a month to the mainland.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
So one must presume that since you obviously didn't get shot in the back you had no problem fitting in there?

No, the presumption is that fairbanks was smart enough not to venture into crack alley

Old 09-16-2008, 01:25 PM

501 posts, read 1,429,649 times
Quote:
Thanks for clarifying, my experience is from "the total immersion experience"
I spent 10 years 3 months 18 days and 6.5 hours on the rock, commuting no more than once a month to the mainland.
I see. That reminds me of a different kind of story of someone I know from Bermuda, who has been living there his whole life, and he seems pretty bored of being there. Everything about Bermuda is nice, but I can understand that viewpoint of really being stuck on a rock.

Your choice is fine. Everyone has choices. They can move if they don't like the place or choose to stay. And true enough. I can't really base my experience from many years ago compared to your own immerse experience. I just couldn't see how there was so much of those kind of problems that are in the VI compared to other island communities.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:31 PM

345 posts, read 1,277,434 times
Quote:

No, the presumption is that fairbanks was smart enough not to venture into crack alley
only once, my boss drug me back to a bar but we had to leave when some guys started chasing us back to the green house. I have seen my father beat in the head with a pipe and the cops showed up and saw my dad bloodied and a bent pipe in the other guys hand. They gave them other man a warning and pretended to write a police report. I know this because we tried to follow up on this and there was no record of the event ever happening. So we had to live next door to these terrible people when i was a kid. They told us investigaters would come 4 days later to talk to us about the incident...

We talked to the second in charge under the chief of police for the virgin islands and he told us "i dont care"

This is why i decided to live on St. John away from everyone in coral bay. Not crime free but at least you can take care of your own dirty work there.

I can go on an on...

My family had a man soaked in blood banging on their door, he was screaming he had been stabbed. Their entire porch was soaked in blood. My parrents called the cops THREE TIMES to come help this man. No one came... The man ended up leaving our porch and walking to the police station after his girlfriend had stabbed him several time (she was crazy)

I called the poice once on a coke dealer in cruz bay who was chasing my dad and trying to get on his boat for some reason. Guess what happened? No cops, dad had to stand his ground on the back of our boat with 2 fish galves until he left.

I have plenty more stories...

Most people who go to the VI aren't the working class type people me and my faimly are. They are mostly rich rich people who stay in resorts and have gated complexes. Those gates with their constatine wires are there for a reasone.

I am more scared of a st. thomas cop than i am a red hook drug dealer selling coke to kids at duffy's

Old 09-17-2008, 10:23 AM

[quote=. I just couldn't see how there was so much of those kind of problems that are in the VI compared to other island communities.[/QUOTE]

I can understand where you are coming from.
Really hard to explain the above, kinda like trying to describe the color red to a blind man.
See fairbanks anecdotal and graphic post above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories