U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 03:08 PM

502 posts, read 1,282,571 times

Advertisements

^ I see I see. O__O Scary... That is messed up. The cops should be replaced with real hard working enforcements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 10:46 PM

345 posts, read 1,155,461 times
It take a long time to learn how to live in St. Thomas. You can do it right, eventually. It was trial and error for my family but after years we had it. My answer was to move the most isolated part i could.

But seeing my dad beat in the head with a pipe and the police read back my 911 call to me "help they are hitting my dad in the head with a pipe!!!!" is my most traumatic childhood memory. Thank you St. Thomas for bringing me that moment. But his attacker wasn't some bush living rastaman or hatian or dreadlocked gang member... it was a coked up kid from the 48.

EDIT:grammer

Old 09-22-2008, 02:57 PM

345 posts, read 1,155,461 times
It felt really good to get that off my chest...

Old 12-28-2008, 06:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,515 times
Default Good Day

I have a question, If you were looking to work in the VI, with two children, what would your salary request be for employment? Also, do you know of any websites wehre I can look for an apartment. Stupied question, what side of the street do the VI drive on?

Old 12-29-2008, 04:50 AM

24,671 posts, read 60,690,516 times
Fgillings: Suggest you start from the beginning and make a serious pre-move visit before you start thinking about incidentals such as apartments and what side of the road we drive on (the left in left hand drive cars.) Do your research and then if you still decide you might be interested in moving here with your family (and to which island) then come stay in a non-touristy place for a few weeks and get to know your way around. Life is VERY different here than what you're used to. It's very expensive in general. The school system is one you should seriously look into as the majority of transplants would recommend that you put your children into (expensive) private schools rather than into the public school arena. And as far as transplants go, the attrition rate of newbies is VERY VERY high.

Salary for family with two school-age children to live comfortably? I would guess $300K, maybe more, when you figure in rent, utilities, schooling, two vehicles and their upkeep, health insurance, etc. In the majority of two-parent households here both parents work and many people hold down two jobs to make ends meet.

Cheers!

Old 12-29-2008, 12:50 PM

4,308 posts, read 12,084,074 times
Default Sounds delightful - not!

I had a dream once of possibly retiring to the VI . . . now I'm not so sure!

Old 12-29-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
I had a dream once of possibly retiring to the VI . . . now I'm not so sure!
Probably a good idea to have doubts! I'm no youngster myself but scores of people I have become good friends with here have left for many reasons over the years as they got older and several who were habitual vacationers and had that same dream changed their plans as time went by. Unfortunately the infrastructure doesn't lend itself to the retirement dream for most. Very high cost of living, not the sort of medical care you would want to have to deal with as age takes its toll. The generally good weather and the sunshine and the beaches can't make up for the lack of many basic necessities but if you have plenty of $$s, good health insurance which accommodates an airlift to a stateside medical facility if something goes very wrong then it could be OK. Our main daily newspaper, The Virgin Islands Daily News, can be read online and there is also an excellent online-only newspaper, The St Thomas Source. Both excellent regular reading for anyone who is seriously interested in relocating here on a long-term basis. Cheers!

Old 12-30-2008, 02:13 PM

5,946 posts, read 13,695,973 times
We were going to vacation in St. Croix instead of our usual Hawaii, but after reading these posts I'm not sure I want to visit the VI.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:38 PM

Pulling up roots to relocate and live here is a whole different balllgame than coming here to enjoy a vacation, Ellwood. Apples and oranges at best! If you were seriously contemplating living in Hawaii and did serious research with that goal in mind you would indubitably encounter the same cautionary advice as you have read here. I find it quite devastating that anyone would be deterred from visiting the US Virgin Islands based on cautionary posts on this forum solely directed to potential relocators.

That is really upsetting! Cheers!

Old 12-31-2008, 06:50 AM

239 posts, read 797,252 times
Ellwood,

My husband and I just got back from a vacation to St. Thomas in November. I was raised in St. Thomas but my husband is from Tennessee. This is the second time he has gone with me and he loves it. First of all, St. Croix is a lot tamer than St. Thomas. It's more sparsely populated and has more of a country feel than St. Thomas. So some of the concerns expressed in this thread about St. Thomas may not be relevant to St. Croix.

Second, the people who work with tourists are very friendly. If you expect to walk up to some random person and have them greet you warmly, you're in for a rude awakening. The natives are not there for tourists' entertainment and comfort. Would it be nice if they smiled and greeted every tourist warmly? Yes. But, that's not the way it is. They have their own lives to lead..jobs to work, families to raise, etc... They generally go about their business and don't like to be bothered unecessarily. I'm sure if you needed directions or something like that they'd be happy to help you but if you just want to chit chat, most of them don't have the time or the inclination to oblige you.

So no matter where you decide to go, get your expectations in check and have a great vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories