U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 06:11 AM

20 posts, read 50,452 times

Advertisements

Be aware of this island to live on. i have a dear friend who's aunt and uncle lived there for 30 years. He had a job as a postal worker. When I visited they would leave to go to the center of town and would triple lock the doors and place a sign on the windows stating "NOTHING LEFT YOU ALREADY TOOK IT!!". The crime rate is unbeleivable! People live in the bush and survive by stealing. It is beautiful but dangerous to reside there. Also if you need medical treatment , for severe medical issues ,you must fly to peurto Rico for treatment. Think twice about this paradise for residence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 07:11 AM

24,671 posts, read 60,678,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcomber3 View Post
Be aware of this island to live on. i have a dear friend who's aunt and uncle lived there for 30 years. He had a job as a postal worker. When I visited they would leave to go to the center of town and would triple lock the doors and place a sign on the windows stating "NOTHING LEFT YOU ALREADY TOOK IT!!". The crime rate is unbeleivable! People live in the bush and survive by stealing. It is beautiful but dangerous to reside there. Also if you need medical treatment , for severe medical issues ,you must fly to peurto Rico for treatment. Think twice about this paradise for residence.
So how come I and many of my old friends are still here after 25 years and more? Guess we must be some kind of weird folks to stay on an island so awfully dangerous and so rife with crime ...

So you have a friend whose aunt and uncle lived here for 30 years. Can I assume they eventually left the island because of health issues as they aged? Unfortunately that's not at all uncommon and I have "lost" many older friends over the years for that reason when ongoing health problems couldn't be addressed here as well as they could be in certain areas of the mainland. In many areas our healthcare system is just fine but it certainly has its limitations! There is now a very good airlift program here and for something like $300 pa you can avail yourself of their services 24/7 in case of an emergent medical situation which the local hospitals can't provide. But, that said, I have never recommended the islands as a retirement venue for anyone other than those with considerable financial resources.

Thanks for posting - you at least gave me a chuckle. I'm now about to leave my place "in country" and drive into town to pick up my mail, making sure that I post a, ""NOTHING LEFT YOU ALREADY TOOK IT!!" sign on my door (darn, more time lost as I make up one on my computer!) and making sure my packed sidearm is well greased and ready to fire at all those nasty bush-living t'iefs who might jump me on the way into town. Cheers!

PS: By the way it's Puerto Rico. You were close.

Last edited by STT Resident; 02-17-2009 at 08:11 AM..

Old 02-22-2009, 09:08 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,811,696 times
Short and sweet: STTResident is wrong. I live here and lost the rose coloured glasses long ago.

Last edited by Maineac; 02-22-2009 at 09:16 AM..

Old 02-22-2009, 12:34 PM

24,671 posts, read 60,678,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
Short and sweet: STTResident is wrong. I live here and lost the rose coloured glasses long ago.
Wrong about what? Judging from your other post on the topic why on earth do you live here if it's such a rathole? Cheers!

Old 02-26-2009, 06:31 PM

192 posts, read 654,717 times
I just want to thank EVERYbody that posted here. You have given myself and my sister a lot of warm hearted laughter, bringing back the memories of our time living there. ( The crime aspect is never warm or funny though)

I think everything said in here is true of the island, the good and the bad.

Every individual experiences it differently.

St. Thomas will always have my heart, be my souls home on this planet, and remains the best chapter of my life. It has some serious problems too though.

We were rolling over this one-

Quote:
On your arrival, the beautiful girl with flowers will not show up; Instead, they are sending a big burly (and exceedingly rude) taxi driver who hates your guts and loves your money.
This one is the funniest-

Quote:
We lived and met in Key West, Florida. We know what "island living" is like.
No one knows what island life on St. Thomas is like until they live on the island of St. Thomas.

You will be in for a rude awakening when you go to deal with WAPA, the banks, or try to get your drivers license, in the least.

Quote:
It is very easy to get caught up in magic and spell of these places.

If you are lucky enough you will get up up in a magic spell or two.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:07 PM

2,147 posts, read 4,463,138 times
I think the best way for a 'young person' want to experience the USVI's and beyond, to do so is by working on a boat...I did this in the late 1980's-even before internet, and it was crazy, hard and fantastic. I was 19. You will at least get to explore various islands and cays by boat-mingle with many people from various walks of life-including very wealthy-and see how this 'show on earth' is run-lol....

Seeing the islands via boat (not a large cruise ship, won't get into that here, but slave labor isn't my thing)....is the best way to see them. You do need to be flexible, willing to jump ship and find a better situation if you end up on the 'wrong boat', and have a thick-ish skin....(I don't,b ut I managed)....You also stand a better chance of meeting other folks your age-to date and as friends-or, at least doing so more quickly than trying to establish yourself on land.

I did live on the island [STT] briefly, and it's truly much of what's been mentioned here-and that was 30 yrs ago. Some things never change.
But I preferred the movement.... around different islands, even if it is 'seasonal work', for the most part.
And, if you are lucky, you will land a series of short-term stints that pay well, or, end up with a captain/couple who are veterans of the islands and boating....the salt of the earth type of folks who take you under their wing, treat you as a younger sibling, and make sure you are cared for.
I did, and will always be grateful for their generosity, and the skills I learned while working for them and others...(cooking, boating skills, worldview/cultural understanding-not just interisland, but people sailing and boating from around the world.)

Lastly, I think the younger, the better, for this type of gig. 25 or under, so you don't give a sh*t, and are not as apt to take things personally. You KNOW it's temporary, and have no allusions/illusions of making the island your home and expecting a 9-5, traditional job with benefits. Most folks, as they get older, ie, finish college, get a job, etc., become more set in their patterns, and less open to opportunities that don't fit the norm/safety net. You really need to be willing to forgo the American Dream mindset, in favor of adventure and a willingness to experience the new, in the VI's and greater caribbean. It doesn't play by the same rules as the mainland, AT ALL.
Perhaps, b/c, well, it's NOT the mainland. (Same goes for Hawaii, but Hawaii is a bit more genteel, overall...btw, I've also lived in Africa for an extended period. I see some similarities between USVI's and where I lived in Africa, in terms of mindset and vibe -aside from the obvious racial similarities-...USVI's are a bit hardcore. Add to that the Navy presence (not always pretty or welcome for communities, depends...., and, well, it's an interesting place, to be sure.)

People who find themselves living on the islands long-term, usually do so by happenstance-they hung out for awhile, and kept staying...and staying...eventually, it became home. Or, they escape their previous existence for some reason-legal or not-and refuse to leave the islands, eeking out a niche. Few people 'get transferred with a company and set up in a cush expat life'-lol. You may just find yourself living there for years, and have great opportunities, but it's going to be more by chance, than by plan.

Sorry for typos in this, and yes, it's an old thread, but figured I'd add my 2 cents.

Last edited by lrmsd; 08-30-2010 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-23-2010, 07:48 PM

5,196 posts, read 6,398,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by induhvidual View Post
part 1
Welcome to St Thomas, America's Paradise.
Crystal clear waters, jewel-like sandy beaches, warm weather and beautuful people beckon.
Come on over, spend a day or a lifetime, you will not forget this experience and I guarantee you this.
WELCOME TO MAXIMUM ISLAND

You will have lizards and flying roaches in your home even though you keep it sealed. Dunno where the come from, maybe thur the sewage and then up the drains in the bathroom and kitchen

Your electric bill will be over $200.00 at a minimum but this will be the least of your worries.

You will experience frequent blackouts on the hottest and most humid still summer nights, especially when your favorite movie or sitcom is about to begin. The power plant here is antiquated and all to frequently grids shut down leaving parts of the island in darkness. Don't bother calling them, you wont get an answer.

You will meet more rude and obnoxious people in a week than you have in your entire life who will think they are superior to you and always treat you like an outsider.
This is not aloha island. On your arrival, the beautiful girl with flowers will not show up; Instead, they are sending a big burly (and exceedingly rude) taxi driver who hates your guts and loves your money.

You will get poor service in places like banks and utilities.

You will find (or maybe not) normal people an rare and unusual species and so much so that you will instantly want to fall to the ground and worship this wonderful person whom you just met and want to befriend for life.

You will go through the five stages from Anger-----Acceptance in a few short weeks.

You will live on the beach or just a short ride away but will be so busy making a living that you will never visit one.
You will wait for your tourist friends describe one to you, how they spent the day in crystal waters and satin sandy beaches and you will repeat this story to anyone who asks you which beach is best to go to.

You will wistfully glance at the sky at every passing plane, visualising a load of people going back to that promised land called the United States.

------------------------to be continued
Very interesting post...

Old 05-28-2011, 04:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,646 times
Janboy. It's a funny thing...I was contemplating a retirement opportunity in The Virgin Islands. So, I go on this site. I am up for reading and asking questions to gain true information for my consideration. What I noticed more was "American Sarcasm".So,I asked myself,why oh why do we do this to each other? Someone once said,"We may, as Americans" be this sarcastic,because as a nation,we have 'never' admitted to 'loosing' a WAR.Dunknow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories