U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 09:37 PM

2,879 posts, read 3,417,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaytusic View Post
Joe has no idea what he's talking about. I know Puerto Ricans that are not from the metro and speak perfect English with no accent what-so-ever; they're usually young. In fact, the younger ones should understand you for the most part. There are people who don't speak or comprehend a lick of English,but again,there are a lot that do. Some Latinos tend to have this misconception that ALL Puerto Ricans speak Spanish the same way, thus, non-Latinos hear it from them and tend to think that it's true. It's hard to understand the Spanish spoken by some Puerto Ricans,but not all....JOE. It all depends on their social class and where they are from on the island. Stop looking/hearing at reggaeton artist; they don't represent the way every Puerto Rican speaks or dresses. There's millions of Puerto Ricans on the island...do you really believe that they all speak the same way?

You should do fine...don't worry too much. Enjoy your trip over here! ;]
I agree with Kaytusic. While in Puerto Rico, if you happen to be in a place where no one seems to speak English, there is usually someone at arm's length who does! If there's an emergency and there's no one around who speaks English, just call the operator from your cellphone. They all speak English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 10:58 PM

12 posts, read 38,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe1212 View Post
The Spanish spoken in PR is typically VERY hard to understand, even for Spanish speakers. The accent is very different and poor grammer is comon. The majority of people do not speak English. Seemingly only one percent of the people in PR speak "normal English." The people who do, speak it poorly and with heavy accents. FYI--the people are extremely aggresive and courtesy is the exception to the rule.
Joe, you have absolutely no clue. We learn "normal English" at school and while a portion of the population may have a heavy accent, there's a big portion who like me have no accent and are fully billingual and have to put up with gringos coming to the island and not bothering to have the courtesy of brushing up on at least some basic words in Spanish. By the way, your grammar is not so stellar either.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:01 PM

1 posts, read 7,557 times
I am American & go to the University here in Puerto Rico & I almost NEVER find people who speak fluent English. Not even enough to answer basic questions. I am not in the Metro area

Old 08-26-2010, 09:23 PM

241 posts, read 955,806 times
Which university if I may inquire?

Old 08-27-2010, 10:16 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,033,146 times
In tourist areas you will always find people who speak English. Outside of tourist areas and the San Juan metro area, I have had many situations where I could not find anyone able or willing to assist me however. I would advise you to take a dictionary.

As far as traffic goes you might check on the law about not having to stop at red lights between midnight and 5:00 a.m because someone told me it had been repealed (I don't know if it has been or not). One difference you will notice is that ambulances and police cars routinely travel around with their lights flashing. You do not need to pull over unless they have a siren sounding. Also, at most lights when the light turns green it is red for the traffic facing you so you can turn left after it turns green, without waiting for oncoming traffic.

If you go to a fast food restaurant you will have to be very careful that they do not add a lot of food you did not order and if you don't like mayonnaise you will need to stress "sin mayonesa". It seems to be hard for people here to believe that anyone could not want mayonnaise on their hamburger.

Last edited by Sandhillian; 08-27-2010 at 10:26 PM..

Old 09-02-2010, 07:20 PM

2 posts, read 8,638 times
I went on a trip there this past spring for a week and didn't have any problems all over the island. Seemed that most places someone was around that spoke english. I speak very very very terrible spanish, but it seemed that just by trying once in a while someone would pipe up in english and helped us out.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:10 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,062,777 times
So so funny... apparently broken horrible English passes as speaking English. Most of that island doesn't speak English, except for some kids. Puerto Ricans on the island are so sensitive to be not considered as American citizens that I think the people flaming me take offense to the fact that I know they're still a hispanic Caribbean island.

I think another problem lies in the fact that most people stay on pampered little resorts. I went from ghetto little town, to ghetto little town, and to the people we needed to communicate, I had to speak Spanish.

Oh, you tell me all the kids take English in school? Well, most of my schoolmates were taught Spanish - you won't get anything out of them now, though.

Sorry I had to reply to a year old thread, but there goes.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:21 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,131,600 times
This all kind of seems foolish to me. Outside of the Metro Area and tourist spots, sure, people don't speak very good English (or at all). But its still more than I can say about the average gringo and his knowledge of Spanish. It just seems really arrogant for some of you to b**ch and whine about how "bad" the average Puerto Rican speaks English. If a Puertoriqueno, Mexicano, Dominicano, etc came to my hometown (which is New Orleans, until November when I move to La Isla) and whined to me about how no one speaks Spanish or how poorly I spoke it, I'd beat him down. Act arrogant and expect even more arrogant responses.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:49 PM

241 posts, read 955,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
So so funny... apparently broken horrible English passes as speaking English. Most of that island doesn't speak English, except for some kids. Puerto Ricans on the island are so sensitive to be not considered as American citizens that I think the people flaming me take offense to the fact that I know they're still a hispanic Caribbean island.

I think another problem lies in the fact that most people stay on pampered little resorts. I went from ghetto little town, to ghetto little town, and to the people we needed to communicate, I had to speak Spanish.

Oh, you tell me all the kids take English in school? Well, most of my schoolmates were taught Spanish - you won't get anything out of them now, though.

Sorry I had to reply to a year old thread, but there goes.
It just sounds like you're attacking and not responding. Challenging the merits of another's comment.

"Puerto Ricans are so sensitive to be not considered"? Sounds like someone has broken English. Can't even make out what you are saying.

Most of your schoolmates which were taught Spanish were also taught English. Don't bend the facts.

English is mandatory at all public schools.

Need I remind you you brought politics into the thread by mentioning the statehood debate.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:47 AM

2,052 posts, read 3,331,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
It just seems really arrogant for some of you to b**ch and whine about how "bad" the average Puerto Rican speaks English. If a Puertoriqueno, Mexicano, Dominicano, etc came to my hometown (which is New Orleans, until November when I move to La Isla) and whined to me about how no one speaks Spanish or how poorly I spoke it, I'd beat him down. Act arrogant and expect even more arrogant responses.

I see your point and wish it was like that here. When they come here ( Ma.) and complain about everything being in English and they don't understand,we end up changing it for them instead if them learning the language.Even the DMV here has the drivers test in Spanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or