U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 01:58 PM

4,800 posts, read 10,893,013 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of taking a trip to Puerto Rico, visiting San Juan but also driving to out of the way areas in the mountainous interior. We only know and understand a few words of Spanish between us. Would this be a problem in out of the way areas that don't see many tourists?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 05:04 AM

7,732 posts, read 8,781,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
We are thinking of taking a trip to Puerto Rico, visiting San Juan but also driving to out of the way areas in the mountainous interior. We only know and understand a few words of Spanish between us. Would this be a problem in out of the way areas that don't see many tourists?
Most people in Puerto Rico can speak at least basic English.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:46 AM

59 posts, read 344,160 times
Don't get too concerned about this sort of thing. People have been travelling all over the world for a very long time to places where they didn't know the language. And in recent times this has become much easier since a) there is almost nowhere any more that you can't find someone who speaks at least a little English and b) you can always take an English/Spanish phrasebook which should cover almost any scenario you will encounter. There are even electronic gadgets for this as well as software versions you can put on a PDA or smartphone.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:49 AM

398 posts, read 1,188,205 times
Yes, most people do speak some basic English, but I'd at least make sure you learn your numbers well so you understand how much you owe the cashiers! It sounds silly, but that's one area that I need to work on. I usually defer to my husband when we check out at the markets. As with any foreign language, I'd certainly brush up on your basic pleasantries if you don't know them already.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:01 AM

19,603 posts, read 20,385,686 times
Oh, and make sure you are familiar with the traffic signs especially the stop sign. In MX it's Alto, in PR it's Pare if I remember correctly.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:47 AM

1,772 posts, read 4,075,250 times
Language shouldn't pose a problem for the mainland driver. Signs are federally regulated to be of the same geometry, scale and color. You don't need to actually read the signs to undertand their meaning in PR, they are exactly the same as they are in the CONUS.

Now for some real advice that may actually save your life: never go on a green light right away. Always wait for at least two to three cars to run the red light, particularly those coming from 'ONLY' lanes (marked as 'SOLO' down there) in the opposite direction. They will. All the time. Be prepared to be hackled and insulted if you choose NOT to block an intersection of traffic while in bumper to bumper traffic (or in the case of PR, ALWAYS). Keeping intersections open is a mainland rule. Following traffic rules in PR is effectively a "courtesy" and few practice such courtesies. Don't drive without a local after 9:00PM outside isla verde (for tourists). Finally, after 1:00am DO NOT REST at red lights in intersections with few or no cars. Pull up to the line, yield to left, right and forward-left traffic, if there is any, and then RUN it like your life depended on it, it probably does. Sorry for the somber outlook, but I rather you enjoy the positive aspects of touring the island than be tarnished by an ugly incident. good luck!

Old 08-29-2008, 11:54 AM

19,603 posts, read 20,385,686 times
Good advice hindsight 2020. I had to get used to the DO NOT REST situation. Got honked at many times for "resting" too long.

Oh, and solo was a good term to use when ordering fast food and you didn't want fries, just a burger.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:12 PM

3 posts, read 7,485 times
I live in Europe and did not find driving in PR hard at all. You should try driving in Paris!! You dont need Spanish to spend a good vacation in PR

Telmo
[mod] edit [/mod]

Last edited by Sam I Am; 09-11-2008 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: no advertising, no tag lines

Old 10-04-2008, 07:19 AM

879 posts, read 2,552,583 times
The further away you get from San Juan the less people know English. We stopped at McDonald's and my friends who speak very basic Spanish could not understand her and when they apologized for their poor Spanish...lets say she didn't accept the apology.

As far as driving infrastructure is basically the same as any highway/roadway in the States. The only thing I found confusing was the cardinal directions of the highways. In the States freeways are marked N,E,S,W in relation to where the highway terminates/originates. In Puerto Rico they are marked by the literal direction of the highway so they change frequently.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:53 PM

5,552 posts, read 18,087,045 times
Puerto Ricans are not as spanish oriented as other latin countries like the DR, Cuba, Mexico etc where there is very little english if any. For good reason, they are afterall a US commonwealth. English is spoken in PR. So you have nothing to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or