Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2008, 05:10 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,997,092 times

Advertisements

What has happened to the BEST avocados in the world! Not only they were meaty, kept their color, and were easy to peel, but they were huge! The last time, I had one of this was about 4 years' ago. Now, every avocado I buy comes from Mexico, or the Hass ones from California. Certainly, not the same!!!!!!!!!!!!. The last one I had, I purchased it in Perth Amboy, NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 04:19 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,891,810 times
From what I have asked to my family in PR, there's not too many trees left, after all the hurricanes. So, the ones that are eaten in the island now are from Dominican Republic(Santo Domingo) So, you were lucky to get one in Perth Amboy.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:38 PM

11 posts, read 50,492 times
Well, I'm here in PR...and My aunt's tree gave the best avocados this season! They were delicious and huge..7 to 8 inches long and almost 3 inches wide. But Annie is right there are less "aguacates" and oddly enough the ones you find in the supermarket are from the Dominican Republic.!

Old 09-30-2008, 07:39 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,063,650 times
I'm from San Diego and we used to get huge perfect avocados for free from the neighbors. Now I live in Montana and you wouldn't believe the sorry looking dinky little things they sell here as avocados. You guys are lucky to still be able to get the big perfect ones. Now I'm starting to think about how much better the fish is in your area. I love my State but the food sucks unless you like living on burned steaks !

Old 09-30-2008, 06:21 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,717,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
I'm from San Diego and we used to get huge perfect avocados for free from the neighbors. Now I live in Montana and you wouldn't believe the sorry looking dinky little things they sell here as avocados. You guys are lucky to still be able to get the big perfect ones. Now I'm starting to think about how much better the fish is in your area. I love my State but the food sucks unless you like living on burned steaks !
You should see the avocadoes they sell in the Mid-West, they look like an olive, and most are rotten to boot. Those poor people have no idea what a real avocado looks or tastes like.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:34 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,063,650 times
My guacamole recipe ; Smash the Hass avocado either smooth or lumpy according to how you like it, (I like mine smooth). Next add a splash of fresh lime juice, kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper and a healthy amount of garlic powder, nothing else. Note that this is the guacamole to be put on a food item such as a tostada, taco or torta. When making guacamole for just dipping chips into I will add a bit of onion tomato and cilantro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories