Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 03:40 AM

139 posts, read 328,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
You can always open a road side stand lol
Or stand in the middle of the street and sell stuff. I know someone who is collecting food stamps and there were a couple dozen forms they needed to fill out. One of the forms had to be signed by their neighbors and it stated that this person did not sell stuff in the street. They had to do this because vending in the middle of the street is so common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 11:29 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Whenever you decide to move into new territory whether it be within the US or to a US territory, best to not try and circumnavigate the laws pertaining to employment. As a "newbie" you'll stick out like a sore thumb anyway, acceptance takes a while and if you even inadvertently tick off a local you'll quickly have the book thrown at you and end up in a lot of trouble. I've seen it happen here many, many times when newbies wrongfully assume that skirting legalities is something they can get away with.

Gee whiz, what happened to that guy who was just recently bragging about arriving here with nothing and then lucked out working as an under-the-table unlicensed contractor. Haven't seen him for several months. Oops, just heard through the coconut telegraph that several people told on him and he left island as quickly as possible before licensing got a chance to nail him. Happens all the time!

Old 02-28-2011, 07:26 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
What do i need to become a Puerto rico Citizen

A working knowledge of the Spanish language without a "gringo" accent. O,si tu quieres, sin acento gringo!

Old 03-01-2011, 08:32 AM
mym

706 posts, read 1,170,318 times
a guayabera

Old 04-24-2011, 06:01 AM

1 posts, read 3,427 times
conroy25 so what u are saying is if i like to work straight out in the us coast guard how long will it take me to become a citizen of puerto rico and i speak read and write spanish fluentrly what are the chances for me to work in the cg let me know thanks conroy25

Old 04-24-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustamante11 View Post
conroy25 so what u are saying is if i like to work straight out in the us coast guard how long will it take me to become a citizen of puerto rico and i speak read and write spanish fluentrly what are the chances for me to work in the cg let me know thanks conroy25
Re-read the post to which you are referring. If you are eligible to join the USCG then you can apply like anyone else and ASK to be located in PR. And had you read the thread you would know that there IS no such thing as legally recognized Puerto Rican citizenship. Puerto Ricans are US citizens.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:22 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
I can't believe how many people have no idea that Puerto Rico is a US territory and that it's residents are native born American citizens, and that travel to Puerto Rico is as simple and easy as traveling from New York to California. Same for the other US territories.

Every time I go to Puerto Rico I see people wandering around the airport holding US passports asking where they need to go to get their passports stamped. It's embarrasing that so many Americans have no idea about their nation and what it encompasses. I think it's because people are only taught about the 50 states and very little attention is paid to the 5 territories, 1 federal district, and 3 associated republics that are also integral parts of the federal union.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:48 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,661,992 times
This thread is somewhere between amusing and retarded....lol

Old 04-24-2011, 11:55 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,031,800 times
It's ridiculous right? A lot of my friends in the States tell me they want to visit but need to get a passport, or they cannot believe that I was able to call them on my cell phone here. That's assuming they know Puerto Rico isn't the country below Nicaragua and above Panama.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:46 PM

Same here. Try arguing with a telephone customer service rep stateside who remains convinced that the company cannot ship to the USVI because, "it's a foreign country" or likewise insists that "foreign" postage rates prevail and that USPS doesn't ship here at domestic rates. Mind boggling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories